0

Plug into Outlet room power goes out unplug power comes back on

EmmaK

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 05:43 pm
I have an outlet that until today has been working just fine but now whenever I plug anything in it (a heater that's turned off or even a coffee grinder that's not turned on) the light in the room goes out but when you unplug it the room light comes back on. None of the appliances I've tried have been turned on it just shuts off the room power as soon as anything is plugged in. I even tried a printer cable without the printer atrached and the same thing happened. What's going on?

EmmaK

1  
Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 06:17 pm
@EmmaK,
I don't know how to edit my post but I have an update. I noticed that every time the outlet moves a little bit it turns off the power to the rest of the room so I'm assuming that my house must be wired with series circuits and there's a wire that's loose or broken near the outlet? My house was built in the 1940's and the guy built it himself (and his kids and grandkids didn't take care of it.)
fresco

1  
Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2017 08:28 am
@EmmaK,
There's obviously a short circuit in the socket. Don't use it until examined with mains switched off. You probably need a general survey of all wiring.