Befuddling Situation with Outlets

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 09:39 pm
Our church is having electrical issues. We are a small congregation. Our service is 200 amp and it is a Homeline box. The building was built in 93 so all wiring is only 20 years old. All wiring is minimum of 12 guage. We had a series of outlets go dead without any breakers resetting. My F-Law is a retired electrician but lives out of the country. He was here briefly and checked the breakers and said he thought they were good. My son and I were vacuuming tonight and an outlet on another series went dead. I moved the vacuum plug and vacuumed for another 5 mins and that one went dead. I went and checked the breaker box and no breakers were blown. There is no burning smell & I have thrown all breakers off and back on. Anything that stops has not started working again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,013 • Replies: 4

Ragman

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 10:40 pm
@JoeDaddy782,
I'd say it's time to hire a qualified electrician.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 11:13 am
@JoeDaddy782,
Joe you might invest in a voltmeter. Many a breaker looks ON when it's really OFF. Furthermore shutting it OFF then back ON doesn't necessarily turn it back ON--unless stroke performed more vigorously--but even then if there's a downstream short it may instantly again revert to OFF

Also a voltmeter will help distinguish one circuit (which you've called "series") from another, eg, if there's 220 v, (here) or 440v (there) between two hots then they're opposite phases
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 11:46 am
@JoeDaddy782,
Look for a GFI circuit. If your outlets are on a protected circuit, you might have tripped the GFI outlet.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 12:02 pm
@engineer,
Good'n' Eng, hadn't thought of that
0 Replies