Washing Clothes in a Washing Machine

gollum

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 10:41 am
Is there any advantage to selecting the hot water option, when washing clothes in a washing machine?

jcboy

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 10:49 am
@gollum,
Did you ask Mama? Razz

Mama's Laundry Talk

Quote:
The hotter the water, the better the cleaning potential.

Now I didn’t say it was the most energy-efficient…but it will give your clothes the best wash.

The goal is to choose the hottest water that the fabric can withstand without fading, shrinking, or being damaged in some way (like sequins falling off).

Hot(ter) water definitely has its pros: it sanitizes and kills germs better, it dissolves detergents more efficiently, kills dust mites, helps remove built-up grime so clothes look brighter and less dingy.
gollum

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 11:39 am
@jcboy,
jcboy-

No, she'd dead.

I appreciate your answer.

I made my posting in response to a newspaper advertisement by the local electric utility that indicated that the only effect of switching to cold water, is lower electric bills.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 12:16 pm
@gollum,
I always wash dark clothes in cold water to prevent fading of color. For whites or light color items I usually use hot, but if you pretreat stains, you can still use cold water. To Pretreat I use the same detergent I use to wash the clothes. For instance, I like to use Tide because its a HE detergent that works in my front loader. I pour out the necessary amount or 1 load, dab the stain with the measured amount, let it sit for 20 minutes hen run a load.

I also have a soak cycle, that seems to soften up stubborn stains. But I also have dogs and sometimes their bedding is foul, I run that on water as hot as possible.
0 Replies