Red or Blue, which are you? .... Quiz!

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:48 am
I cant make hay of this quiz - you gotta be American or have lived in America to take it! Would be curious to see where you people end up ...

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 747 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Miller

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:52 am
Is this the only copy of the quiz?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:53 am
You're tippin' yer hand here, Habibi . . . in this and other threads . . . you spendin' yer day at Slate?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:59 am
Well, nimh, you know what they say. If you want to make hay you need a huge pile of BS to do it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:00 am
Quote:
You're tippin' yer hand here, Habibi . . . in this and other threads . . . you spendin' yer day at Slate?

LOL!

No, not really ... just browsing around.

If I'm to be alleged of any bias, its towards The New Republic, which I quote waay too much ...

You know, it sucks. The stuff I get to paste in (or refer to) here tends to overwhelmingly be from, say, MSNBC, NYT, TNR, Slate, perhaps some WaPo or Globe ... I mean, aside from the polling stuff. Plus, it tends to be overwhelmingly (if not exclusively) on Kerry/Bush or Iraq/WMD/Al-Qaeda ****.

There are so many other interesting topics I read about, that would make good discussion materials! I read stories about all kinds of countries/issues every day in the Dutch newspapers (Volkskrant, NRC) or on the Dutch news, or in the Flemish De Standaard, or in the German Sueddeutsche Zeitung, Freitag, whatever ... but I'll be damned if I'm gonna translate entire articles just for you to talk about! I mean, I do at times translate stuff, but its a lot of work ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:01 am
Miller, what do you mean?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:03 am
It's time to get out of the sun. You're looking a little red.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:05 am
It's a test built on stereotypical "life styles" of those who live in Red or Blue areas.

If you know that the "LIRR" is the Long Island Railroad, you walk to do your daily chores, know that Larry Kramer is an AIDs activist, etc.. then they presume you live in a urban areaa nd are "blue". If you know things about NASCAR, religion, Country Music, etc.. then they presume you live in a rural area and are "red".

I guess I knew of little of each - I ended up dead center.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:06 am
This is truly disgusting, my response was:

It's time to get out of the sun. You're looking a little red.

The same as McG . . . geeze, just cause i know who Dale Earnhardt was, what Branson, Missouri means, where Door County is . . . they've got me pegged as a redneck because, it would seem to me, i grew up in the south, and am not ignorant of how the people who live between New York and L.A. live their lives and what matters to them. For example, i was give +10 red points for knowing where Door County is.

That's a hoot . . . it's also a slanted piece of crap . . . but very entertaining . . .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:08 am
See, Setanta, when you're smart, you're red. Laughing Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:12 am
I coulda tipped it the other way, though. Fishin's absolutely correct in his analysis. I could have chosen to get a copy of Angels Over America and Annie Hall for my video collection--but i answered honestly. The only one of those movies which i would purchase is True Grit--it was an excellent novel, and they did a good job with the movie, despite John Wayne and Glen Campbell. I was born in New York, and at that time, it was the largest city in the world. But i grew up in the rural south, and i hate cities. Where i live, you'd have to be brain-dead not to know about Sam's Club and Nascar.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 06:37 pm
So ... two media came up with the same idea. How is life for a Republican in a blue state? And how is it for a Democrat in the red state?

Here's the Washington Post's roving reporters finding it out for you:

A Democrat's Lonely Stand
By Robert S. McElvaine, a Democrat in Clinton, Mississippi

Live From N.Y.: A Republican!
By Julia Gorin, a Republican in Manhattan

Gorin, it must be said, has the better anecdotes:

Quote:
I've abandoned the old nonconfrontational approach and started cutting my debating teeth on "real" New Yorkers, who still outnumber the likes of me 5 to 1. I've also been exchanging war stories with other members of this sapphire city's silent minority.

My favorite belongs to 26-year-old John Fitzgerald, who as a college senior in 2000 went to cast his presidential primary vote on the Upper West Side. The other night at a local bar, he told me his tale of travail. He tried to pull the knob for his preferred candidate, he said, but it wouldn't budge. After several unsuccessful attempts, he exited the booth to report that the machine wasn't working. This apparently confounded everyone, since no one had complained about the machine all day. The poll workers conferred, until finally a light bulb went off. "Are you a Republican?" someone asked.

The room fell silent. All eyes turned toward the extraterrestrial in their midst. Fitzgerald fessed up. Yes, he was trying to cast his ballot for a GOP candidate. And therein lay the malfunction: After checking voters' affiliations all day, the poll workers had found the task superfluous and had overlooked Fitzgerald's party. The machine, like all the others in the polling place, was set for the Democratic primary and had to be reset before he could vote. "I've heard about the Democratic machine in New York," Fitzgerald chuckled, "but I didn't know it was an actual one."

Gorin's also got the heftier war stories. Is it the liberals who're more aggressive to the dissenter? A Slate (yes, again) article seems to anecdotally confirm it. It had Richard Rushfield go around the most Republican and Democrat places in California dressed up in respectively Kerry/Edwards and Bush/Cheney gear:

Political Poseur - Pretending to be a Republican in Blue California

First, he went to Newport Beach, Orange County, and Bakersfield, Central Valley, decked out in Kerry stuff. There, he gets a few "crazy idiot"s. But the real anecdotes come from when he goes to the Silverlake/Los Feliz area in Bush/Cheney gear. This gets him two "ass hole"s to balance out the "crazy idiot"s, but there's more - for starters, hip appreciation for the tongue-in-cheek stunt he must be pulling:

Quote:
Slinking away, I stroll down Irony Row; a two-block stretch of Sunset Blvd. filled with boutiques peddling vintage 1970s lunch boxes, summer-camp T-shirts, and baby-doll dresses for grown women. So steeped are its denizens in the culture of irony that almost everyone thinks my shirt is a hilarious joke. As I browse through the Vice magazine store, a pair of girls giggles at me. One of them comments, "I've never seen that one before." A 40ish man dressed in cargo shorts, flamboyant sunglasses, and a Lance Armstrong bracelet sees my shirt and bursts out laughing. "Way to go, man!" he says, giving me a thumbs up. Then, as I walk into a wacky gift shop, I hear a shriek. The woman behind the counter throws up her hands in mock horror, "Oh no! Bush-Cheney! In Silverlake!" she cackles, feigning horror at my hilarious costume, as if humoring a child on Halloween. [..]

The next day, I head to Brentwood [..] I sit down to eat. Dining nearby is a young girl who looks to be about 6-years-old; she gazes at my shirt with a look so forlorn, I expect to learn that Dick Cheney just stole her crayons. Her mother arrives and gives her a hug of consolation. The girl starts to talk, but I can only make out "Bush shirt," which she says to her mother as she points my way. The mother turns and glares, shaking her head at me. I start to wonder what sort of person I am to inflict this on a poor child.

Up in the San Vicente shopping area, things go even less smoothly. At the first intersection, an older man in the weekend wear of the very prosperous passes me and yells, "Bush-Cheney?!?" as though demanding an explanation. At the Coral Tree Organic Café, a willowy, bookish woman seated alone glares at me from across the room. When I smile and wave to her, she puts on her sunglasses.

His conclusion: "If I were truly a Bush supporter, how long would I be able to endure a life filled with epithets before I gave up on the shirt? Changing into a nonpartisan brown Gap polo, I breathe a sigh of relief that I will never have to find out."

What about you? Where do you live, and have you got any war stories to share?
0 Replies