I need a humorous debating topic about disability and equity

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:40 pm
Hi, I am organising a fun debate at work and I would like help finding a good topic to debate. The topic needs to have something to do with disability and preferably equity. I have thought of "Only disabled people need equity to make them normal" but I feel it needs to be made more interesting/controversial. Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,445 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:03 pm
First off, welcome to A2K. I have some concerns. You are proposing a 'fun' debate about a not so fun topic. Adding further controversy to the equation would make it less fun. Give us some more info here, and maybe something might come up. As stated in your post, you are digging yourself a mean grave. "Is this mike on?" I'm a huge joker, so I can relate, but....the folks here need more about your plan/perspective.
0 Replies

kiwidebateorganisaer

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:20 pm
I have a disability and I am the Disability Coordinator at work. Last year the topic was "Invisible disabilities aren't really disabilities" and it proved very successful. I need something that has the potential to be just as interesting and humourous.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:22 pm
Ahh, okay. What's your position on equity? That might help.
0 Replies

kiwidebateorganisaer

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:26 pm
I don't have a position. I am interested in the debater's arguments. I thought it appropriate that equity is included in the debating topic because that is the theme of Disability Awareness week here. Equity is about giving people what they need so that they can perform/compete on an even playing field with those who don't require the extra support/assistance.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:32 pm
Hmmm.....I happen to support equity here, I think it is fair and balanced. What about a debate pitting disability equity against affirmative action? That would definitely be controversial.
0 Replies

kiwidebateorganisaer

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:44 pm
yes I also definitelyy support equity, no question. Can you refine your suggestion into a topic so I can see how it would sound
0 Replies