Fighting Terrorism and Promoting Democracy

trespassers will

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:20 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
The disdain for intellect coming many times from the right...

I think that what you are perceiving is not disdain for intellect, but rather disdain for those who present themselves as intellectuals and use that appellation in lieu of actually defending their points of view, those Thomas Sowell refers to as the anointed in his book, The Vision of the Anointed: Self-Congratulation As a Basis for Social Policy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:32 pm
I am disdainful of those, regardless of politican philosphy, who present themselves as intelligent authorities on subjects where they have little credential or experience in. That's hard to determine -- Sowell is a fellow of the Hoover instutute and his politics are right wing. This same criteria could be applied to him but I don't have time to do the research. Could be the pot calling the kettle black? From the diverse subjects he's covered in his books, I'm suspicious. I think he might write to sell books, not to particularly to inform anyone not in his stream of thought. There is a right wing intelligensia, or to use the 60's terminology, eggheads. They're no more or less anethema to anyone who want to get their thoughts in the right place in an issue than the left wing intelligensia. Caveat emptor.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 06:51 pm
LW - I think you missed the point. I'm not taking issue with holding one's self up as an expert on something one knows little about, I'm taking issue with holding one's self up as expert--whether it is true or not--and using that self-asserted status as a shield against further discourse on the subject being discussed.

For example, if you study the global warming debate you will invariably find that the argument used to shut down most scientists who argue against the notion that human-induced global climate change is a scientific fact is that those nay-sayers and their research are of a lesser quality and not even to be considered. There's seldom any effort to refute their claims. It's as if one side says, "If you knew what you were talking about you'd sound like us." And thinks that proves the validity of their argument.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 07:40 pm
I fail to see the difference -- I don't recall specifically who has used their intelligent expertise to avoid discussing a problem. Who are these people? Names and incidences, please. I'm sure you can come up with some isolated examples, but here's mine:

This administration used a dubious scientific expertise to deny that global warming was a problem than within a year, reveresed itself, saying they agree but there's nothing they can do about it at the present time. Now that's an example of what you are describing and it does have something to do with foreign affairs as no matter how we try and deny it with more statistical manipulating, the rest of the world sees us as a major polluter. That we try to deny that and deny global warming is bad PR (all three of the above acronyms). We want to set an example and lead the world, why don't we act like it?
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 08:10 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I fail to see the difference -- I don't recall specifically who has used their intelligent expertise to avoid discussing a problem. Who are these people? Names and incidences, please. I'm sure you can come up with some isolated examples, ...

Well since you've already conceded that I can probably offer examples, and since anything I cited here would be "isolated examples" BY DEFINITION, I'll pass on the exercise in futility. :wink:

No, seriously, have a look at this:

Quote:
American Association of State Climatologists
State Climatologists Skeptical of Administrations Global Warming
Having just returned from the annual meeting of the American Association of State Climatologists (for which I will be President for the next year), I can tell you that there is a great deal of global warming skepticism among my colleagues. For every outspoken scientist like Pat Michaels there are dozens of less verbose but equally committed men and women who do not buy into the Administration's point of view. Far from being a "done deal," the global warming scenarios are looking shakier and shakier. I have encouraged the other state climatologists to speak up on this issue and intend to be a spokesman myself (see, for example, July 25 1998 Science News). It's interesting to me that the tactics of the "advocates" seems to be to 1) call the other side names ("pseudo-scientists") and 2) declare the debate over ("the vast majority of credible scientists believe...").

http://www.sitewave.net/news/s49p628.htm

Quote:
but here's mine:

(Isolated example follows... Laughing

Quote:
This administration used a dubious scientific expertise to deny that global warming was a problem than within a year, reveresed itself, saying they agree but there's nothing they can do about it at the present time. Now that's an example of what you are describing and it does have something to do with foreign affairs as no matter how we try and deny it with more statistical manipulating, the rest of the world sees us as a major polluter. That we try to deny that and deny global warming is bad PR (all three of the above acronyms). We want to set an example and lead the world, why don't we act like it?

First, they shouldn't have flip-flopped, but that is nothing like what I described.

Second, many much smaller nations produce far more pollution on a per capita basis--the only meaningful measure--than does the US. Further, they emit pollutants we no longer allow.

Third, denying that global warming is a proven reality and that a causal link to the actions of man has been established may be "bad PR", but only among those who have accepted pop-eco-politics in lieu of actual science. Global warming is hotly disputed, not only between those who believe it is or is not happening, but among the convinced. At one symposium a few years ago, six of the world's top climate researchers got up and gave six different views of the problem and proposed six different solutions. Each one of the six was mutually exclusive of the others. If any one man was right in his conclusions, it meant that the other five must be wrong. Now, if those who believe it is fact are that far apart on what it is, how can anyone be so convinced that "it" is occurring?
(Sadly my link for this interesting article seems to be outdated, so take it with a grain of salt, or not at all, as is your wont.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 09:11 pm
Interesting stuff but needs a discussion of its own as it's really off topic to terrorism and promoting democracy. It does make the administration look like their vacillating on the issue -- they do have a too many irons in the fire at this point in time, at least too many for the sum total of their collective intelligence.

A state climatologist -- is that anything like a state cosmotologist?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:25 am
[sneering intellectual disdain]You misspelled cosmetologist.[/sneering intellectual disdain]
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:56 am
It was an amalgam of cosmeotologist and cosmologist.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:57 am
Every blow dry a galaxy?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:57 am
Sneer, scoff.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:49 am
not since Ford dropped the line.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 08:00 am
This thread was split to here: http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3317&start=20
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 12:38 pm
I read that article when my copy came in, maybe two, three weeks ago, and read it eagerly. But the limited, insider view point was disappointment. I don't think the US has the moral high ground, so it follows that I don't think we should be proactive in selling our system to others. Would much prefer to see us become resources without pushing our self-interest. Overly idealistic? No. Keeping self-interest out is virtually impossible, but TRYING to keep it out makes us much better people for the rest of the world to deal with. You might say the less ego-ridden approach is in our... self-interest. Agree that the military should be on a shorter leash.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 01:11 pm
Tartarin wrote:
Keeping self-interest out is virtually impossible, but TRYING to keep it out makes us much better people for the rest of the world to deal with.

I understand your point, but I don't think I want a government that doesn't put US interests first. Being a strong advocate for its own people is one of the primary functions of government. While we should not do so to the exclusion of other factors, we must put our interests first and trust that others will likewise be advocates for their own interests.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 02:52 pm
Self-interest should not include force-feeding a democratic capitalism in a take-it-or-leave-it approach. Self-interest of protecting corporations who use sweatshops in foreign countries, for instance, is hardly a noble enterprise (it's a crime in the U.S., so corporations are doing it to skirt around our laws). Flooding our country with a lot of cheaply made products of very questionable quality is something that will eventually have to be paid for -- damaging consumer confidence is just one of the problems. This is the tip of the iceberg in how inadequate our foreign policy has been in addressing the problem of promoting democracy around the world. The bad news about how our corporations can resort to thievery in order to survive doesn't help our image worldwide either.
We'd be better off being reluctant to proclaim how perfect our system is in our form of capitalistic democracy and let the nations who "see the light" and develop as a free democracy of their own creation. That's what our forefathers did -- we certainly didn't want any interference from the rest of the world.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 02:54 pm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 02:56 pm
The Cold War never went away.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 04:03 pm
Cold War, cold war......hmmm...that expression sounds familiar. I've definately heard it before.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 06:01 am
American politics
... sees the world as its playground. Whatever analysis you make, this is the common feature.

Maybe Americans should learn NOT to see the world as an enterprise, but as a civil communion. And rest content with that. Stop the greed.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 06:27 am
"Civil Communion"...how religious a thought! I must bear that in mind, at tax time. It might enliven my spirits a bit. Twisted Evil
0 Replies