The Most Boring Movies You've Ever Seen

Jack Webb

Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:45 am
Two different movies.
Thank you much for waking me up LightWizard! Both movies were so boring they simply mulled together in my head. I couldn't tell a Tom Hanks from a Bill Murray! :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:48 am
Jack, I want to hear about a movie that stirred passion in you soul. What do you like?
0 Replies

fortune

Fri 13 Aug, 2004 05:50 am
Meet the Parents. I've never wanted to walk out of a movie so badly in my life.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 13 Aug, 2004 06:12 am
we rented 'The whole ten yards" the other night and everybody waalked out of the RV into the mosquito filled night. It reaaallyy sucked.
0 Replies

Jer

Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:39 am
Fortune,

You're kidding, right? Shocked

fortune wrote:
Meet the Parents. I've never wanted to walk out of a movie so badly in my life.
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:01 pm
Anne Bancroft did stir my passion.
panzade, . . . . . .now that you asked, I cannot really say that ANY movie ever stirred the passion in my soul if you are referring to "the man and woman passion thing."

I mainly enjoy a good story especially ones that are a bit off beat. I am a fan of the Coen brothers. I enjoy collecting off beat videos at cut rate prices. They are usually, not always, films I have already seen but I would enjoy seeing more than once: Pulp Fiction, Catch-22, The Graduate, Clockwork Orange, Fargo . .. films like that. All good stories and a bit off-beat. I did feel a bit passionate about Anne Bancroft. OK panzade? :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:12 pm
Those are excellent choices, Jack, except I always found "Catch 22" off key in bringing the satire in the book to the screen.
It didn't do well at the box office and broke Mike Nichol's charmed streak of hits. It could be because it was released about the same times as M*A*S*H, a more pungent and well directed satirical film. Nichols has recently redeemed his career with the HBO "Angels in America," now nominated for more EMMYs than any single program ever.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:21 pm
The first thing that comes to mind is "Juliet of the Spirits," by Fellini, which I think I saw in Cape Cod, Massachussetts in about 1968. It was boring enough that there may be some way for the military to harness it as a weapon.

Also, although it probably doesn't qualify since it wasn't a film for general release, about four years ago, I saw a documentary about sponges (the marine animal) in Tarpon Springs, Florida. Tarpon Springs is a tourist seaport which specializes in sponge fishing. There is a gift store there called The Spongerama. They have a back room in which they show a documentary about sponges. This movie was so boring that I began to feel like I was suffocating. I tried to crawl out with my remaining strength, but my girlfriend insisted that we stay until the bitter end. Meanwhile they were showing some marine biologist with scintillating lines like, "Now this sponge is a little guy we like to call sponge type 23, and....." The film was so magically boring that it almost seemed like a spoof, although it wasn't a spoof. I was so bored that I actually thought I might faint, and when it was over, it took me a few minutes to feel physically normal again. In subsequent years, I let it be known to my g/f that I would fight to the death rather than go back to the Spongerama.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:28 pm
"Juliet of the Spirits" was Fellini's first color film and I think that threw him. It was a gift to his wife but I don't know if it should have been unwrapped. It marked the beginning of a the decline for Fellini and only "Amacord" and "Roma" stand out of his later work.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Fri 13 Aug, 2004 02:25 pm
I only know that a 15 year old me was very glad when it stopped and the house lights went on.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Fri 13 Aug, 2004 02:32 pm
I'm not sure at fifteen if I could appreciate any of Fellini's movies -- although I was already going to many foreign films. I think one of the first was "Torment" with a screenplay by Ingmar Bergman and I was totally impressed. Just from word-of-mouth from college chums, I had avoided "Juliet of the Spirits" and finally got to see it on cable. I couldn't believe this was the same director as "8-l/2" (on most film critics top-ten list), or any of his early black-and-white movies. As a matter of fact, I believe I remember dozing off several times although that could have been the red wine! Laughing

(On second thought, no, it was the aimless, episodic rambling of this film).
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Fri 13 Aug, 2004 06:28 pm
I guess there are always hazards in making the transition from book to film Lightwizard. I can remember how shocked I was when I viewed the film based on Joseph Wambaugh's "The Choirboys."

The book was a serious, dramatic story with gallows humor. The movie was merely silly. I still cannot understand how so many people involved in making that movie could have completely missed the boat. Maybe they did it purposely. No idea.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 14 Aug, 2004 06:24 am
Couldn't believe nobody brought up The Rose. I was willing her to die already by the final scene, as it seemed she was fully capable of letting it go on another five or six hours.
0 Replies

Eccles

Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:06 pm
Gallipolli- not because it's a bad movie, but because Australian students are made to watch it ad nauseum for four years. At the end I could quite happily have killed both young men.

"Free Willy" comes second. It's even worse, but I was never made to watch it so many times.

The most disturbing AND boring made for video movie that i have seen is "The WIggles "Big Red Car" starring Steve Irwin. I kid you not, and i couldn't walk out because i was caring for a room full of children.

That said, if the movie is boring, why don't you just walk out? Razz So you can post scathing reviews on A2K? hehe
0 Replies

stuh505

Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:52 pm
i cannot hope to read through everything already posted...but i have 2 things..

1 - lost in translation wasn't so boring!

2 - solaris was, by far, the most boring movie i have ever seen...and also the only movie i have ever walked out on and gotten my money refunded
0 Replies

capsaddy

Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:13 pm
House of the Dead, it was supposed to be a horror flick. It wasn't worth the $5 it costed me to get into it. Half way into it my sister fell asleep and another 10 minutes of it would have put me to sleep.
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Sun 29 Aug, 2004 02:00 am
Boring Leslie Nielsen.
In his early days, actor Leslie Nielsen, played some good roles as a "heavy." Since that time, one movie after another, he has been cast in obnoxious comic roles. ALL of those movies are absolutely boring. I cannot imagine how Leslie Nielsen continues to make movies playing those roles but, a lot of people must like them. (No reflection intended on Mr. Nielsen, just the the awful comic roles.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Thu 2 Sep, 2004 08:59 am
I don't find "Airplane!" boring nor any of the "Naked Gun," and his career was primarilly in television. He was never a featured player in the era of "The Poseidon Adventure" where he played the Captain for about eight minutes. It would seem to me he made a good career move as he was never going to get any dramatic leads in a movie (let's face it, he's not a great actor). I couldn't find many "heavy" roles but I'm sure there are a few.

Link to Leslie Nielson filmography:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000558/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Thu 2 Sep, 2004 09:02 am
("Tammy and the Bachelor," an early break and "Forbidden Planet" were not good examples of "heavy" roles and those were highlights of his early career).
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Thu 2 Sep, 2004 09:22 am
Leslie Nielsen
Light Wizard, you are absolutely correct with regards to the number of roles Nielsen played as a heavy. Matter of fact although I have seen him in a number of small roles in the old television days just one comes to mind where he played a tough character. That was a television series where he played the part of a detective. Although I cannot remember the exact title of the series I recall enjoying it very much. That show was probably the only show I enjoyed seeing him in regularly.

You are right, he did make a very good career move from television into childish comedy. I suppose if I had seen him in comedy first I might appreciate him a little but I don't. I just do not think he is funny at all but who am I? Lots of other people must. To his good fortune.
0 Replies