The Most Boring Movies You've Ever Seen

Paaskynen

Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:22 am
Kristie wrote:
I can NEVER watch a movie that was 'loosely' based on a book if I've read the book first. Movies always pale in comparison.

You are right, even though I try to see films and books as separate art forms, the book is almost always better than the film with the exception of the works of some very poor writers like Alistair Maclean and much of the production of Stephen King.

Sometimes it can be intersting to see how a film maker has dealt with the story and how they have visualised certain things. I found for example The Unbearable Lightness of Being a wonderful film, because of the cast and the acting (Binoche and Olin in particular) even though I had read the book beforehand.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:41 am
betteric (and welcome to A2K if I haven't posted it before): That was Martin Scorcese's 1999 film "Bringing Out the Dead." I wasn't bored and I appreciated the point of the movie but I doubt I'll ever want to see it again. It has the look and feel of "Taxi Driver" and no wonders because it's written by Paul Schrader. Both have done better.

Welcome also to A2K, Paaskynen. Nice to see representation on the boards from your part of the world.
0 Replies

panzade

Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:52 am
The tension that builds from non-action can sometimes make an interesting movie. Contrast the Postman and Lost in Translation. Postman has loads of action but the outcome is a given. Lost has no action but the outcome is not evident. And yes, I kept thinking " If I was the Bill Murray character...
0 Replies

Jim

Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:00 am
Last year I was desperate to watch something, anything, on the Platform cable system after a bad day at work. What was on that night was "Mindwalk" with Sam Waterston and Liv Ullmann. Normally I like both of their work, so I sat down to watch. Big mistake. The entire movie was the stars walking through Mont St. Michel in France (beautiful scenery, I will grant you that) talking political philosophy. You get one guess what flavor of politics they espoused.
0 Replies

Don1

Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:27 am
The Conversation, by the time it got to the 60 minute mark I was comatose.
0 Replies

Equus

Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:48 am
I found "Howard's End" excruciating.

although there were five or ten minutes worth watching, I thought "The Thin Red Line" was the slowest War movie I have ever seen.
0 Replies

shepaints

Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:54 am
Without question, "Time Bandits".....the longest
two hours of my life.....and in the theatre it was
the excrutiating "Phantom of the Opera"...........
sound of chalk screeching across a chalk board!
0 Replies

kickycan

Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:11 am
Oh, if we are doing theatre shows, I would have to say, hands down, without a doubt, unquestionably, "Les Miserables".

Excruciating.
0 Replies

NickFun

Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:34 pm
I have found anything with Whoopie Goldberg to be painfully dull and that would include TV, theater, movies etc.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:36 pm
I tried rewatching A Farewell to Arms yesterday. It just couldn't hold me. I'm generally that way about movies based on Hemingway stories.
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Wed 21 Jul, 2004 10:17 pm
Eyes Wide Shut. Maybe boring isn't the right word. But it sucked ass. It is one of the few movies in which I saw countless people walking out. We ended up MS3000 the rest of the flick, laughing and talking back to the screen. Horrid movie.
0 Replies

willow tl

Thu 22 Jul, 2004 12:15 am
I have to agree with others..Lost in Translation..put me to sleep...i am sure this will not be a popular choice either but ..Mystic River bothered me..and i love Dennis Lehans books...but this one NOPE...Maid in Manhattan was awful but i am not much for light romantic comedies ....
0 Replies

elstoc

Thu 22 Jul, 2004 12:45 pm
The recent Dawn of the Dead remake. There's a zombie - shoot it. There's another. Run. Shoot. Scream. Look they are running fast. Run Janet run.

How about this to complete the Bourne trilogy - "Bourne of The Dead". ?? Anyone? He really does die in this one but he comes back as a zombie to complete the mission. He's a zombie with a conscience, and he gets the girl. I don't know how they would handle the love element as I haven't really thought it through.

Do I have copyright over the title now?
0 Replies

Equus

Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:33 pm
Didn't Andy Warhol make a movie showing the same building(s) in actual time for something like 8-plus hours? That sounds like a real exciting flick.
0 Replies

NickFun

Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:45 pm
That's true Equus, except it was actually a 12 hour film, later reduced to 8 hours. Then it was edited to 90 minutes, I suppose so it could be shown on TV.
0 Replies

doglover

Thu 22 Jul, 2004 03:45 pm
Citizen Kane was a drag. ZZZZzzzzzzz
0 Replies

plainoldme

Mon 2 Aug, 2004 05:48 pm
All time bores:

On television: ShockWaves . . . tourists in the Caribbean discover Mutant Nazi Zombies (you can dance to that line)

All time: Fastest Guitar in the West . . . starring Roy Orbison as the protector of a stafe coach

Recent: There's Something About Mary
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Thu 12 Aug, 2004 03:06 am
Sleepless in Seattle or The Pajama Game
I walked out on The Pajama Game at a theatre in Patterson, New Jersey in the late fifties.

I didn't walk out on Sleepless in Seattle in the late nineties here in California because I had a nice woman as a date and she was enjoying the movie very much. I remained quiet and hated every minute of seeing Bill Murray keep re-appearing. How foolish, how silly can things get I ask you?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:04 am
"Sleepless in Seattle" and "Groundhog Day" were two different films (Tom Hanks was in "Sleepless" and Bill Murray was in "Groundhog"). Otherwise, welcome to A2K, Jack Webb.
0 Replies

panzade

Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:07 am
I think "Groundhog Day In Seattle" would have made a good plot.
0 Replies