Pauses in Conversations

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:39 am
What do you do when there's a pause in your conversation with someone? Usually, I just look away for a split second. I noticed that my roommate stares at people when there's a pause, which makes him look crazy.

So what do other people do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 839 • Replies: 6
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:36 am
depends on the circumstances. my favorite though, is to use it as an opportunity to get the hell outta there :-)
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:51 am
Pauses in conversation
What do I do when there is a pause in the conversation?

I momentarily regroup by nodding my head, smiling at the same time, and then asking a question to get the conversation rolling again. [I'm an attentive listener, so head nodding is natural and unavoidable.]

I never let a pause go very long. I try not to look away for the specific purpose of avoiding eye contact--that makes me look uncomfortable and makes a pause even more uncomfortable. I might take a sip of coffee, look in my purse for a tissue, or look around the room and comment on something in the room. Your surroundings will usually give you several topics of conversation if you're observant.

I generally spend time with people I'm comfortable with--close friends and family--and we know each other so well that a pause in the conversation is nothing to fret over.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:25 am
You people would make really lousy Navajos. If they don't have anything to say, they don't say a thing.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:29 am
I usually break the pause by saying, "my underwear is too tight". Then I jump up, flap my arms and down and make howling noises. Unless I'm with my girlfriend whereas I use it as an opportunity to fall asleep.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 11:11 am
<pause>
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 12:48 pm
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
0 Replies