birth control pills

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 05:16 pm
hi! I have a question about bc pills.

I started taking them (28 day pack) the beginning of may and I am on my 3rd set right now.

Originally, my doctor prescribed them to me because I had very irregular periods. At the time, I did not intend to use them to prevent pregnancy.

Since I did not know when my last period came, the doctor told me to start taking the pills that same day of my doctor's visit. However, reading the pill instructions, it said to take them the first sunday after your period comes. Instead, I followed the doctor's instructions.

I have recently become sexually active and I was wondering, since I didn't take the pills as it said in the instructions, am I taking them incorrectly? Or will the pills function so that it will prevent pregnancy?

With the last two sets of pills, my period came about 4 days before I finished all the active pills. I've heard that with bc pills, your period comes usually the first few days when you take the "reminder" pills. Since my last two periods came days before I started the reminder pills, do they still work?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 591 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 07:24 am
Yes. Typically the instructions are set so you keep your regular clock as much as possible. As long as you have taken the pills at least a month then and take them every day you are 99% covered against pregnancy. Most likely the reason your period came early is because your cycle is adjusting. You can also have some "break through" bleeding - one potential side effect of the pill. You should see in the future your cycle adjusting so that typically your period will begin while you take the "reminder" pills. I have taken bc pills for about 15 years and never had an unplanned pregnancy (had two planned ones) and they worked great for me. But please verify this information with your doctor and any questions with your doctor. If he/she is not available, I am sure a clinician in the office would be able to answer your questions. Better to be safe than sorry.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 07:29 am
The pill will regulate your periods. They'll come like clockwork. Pretty soon you'll not only be able to pinpoint what day it will start but damn near what time. I loved that.
0 Replies