How about putting Al Franken on Armed Forces Radio?

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 04:32 pm
Would Al Franken or even Howard Stern fill the gap here?

The new conspiracy: Rush and Rupert's Fox

Hillary Rodham Clinton is finally getting some backup on her vast-right-wing-media (conspiracy) charge. But instead of her scattershot blast at the press, the new offensive targets two media giants: Rush Limbaugh and Rupert Murdoch's Fox News Channel. In Rush's case, he's under fire for something he didn't do.

See, he's the only political commentator on Armed Forces Radio, and Democrats want the organization partly funded with tax dollars to hire a lefty pundit--or drop him.

Murdoch, meanwhile, has committed two sins in liberals' eyes: He owns too much media and has created a "Fox effect" that supposedly forces other networks to bend conservative or lose market share.

This week, MoveOn.org and the Clinton-friendly Center for American Progress unleash their attack in a Michael Moore-style documentary called Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism. Its point: Fox is too cozy with the GOP, and Murdoch forces his righty bias on his staff.

Conservative media watchdog Brent Bozell laughed at it all. "It's more evidence that the loopy left has taken over the liberal left."
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/politics/whispers/whisphome.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 583 • Replies: 4
No top replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:23 pm
Well I'm sure FAIR will have a lot to say on the "FOX Effect".

And in a letter I sent through Act For Change I suggested that Fraknen or one of the other Air America folks, Jim Hightower or even Bill Moyers be allowed to speak.

PS. "Outfoxed" will probably be on a DVD list too.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:06 pm
But isn't it interesting that the media needs a "Fox effect" to get media share? Could it just be possible that I' m right in my theory that many, maybe most, people are more conservative than they realize?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 05:47 am
No your theory is not correct. You can find evidence to the contrary when bush keeps bringing up topics like the constitutional admenment banning of gay marriage. They don't go for it.

I think it is only fair that a "lefty" be allowed to be on armed forces radio if it is funded by tax dollars then all the people should be represented and like it or not even leftist are part of the people.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 06:57 am
I think it's unhealthy for a democratic society if any one person or corporation owns too great a share of the country's media.

Its a widespread problem, though the effect does differ from case to case. The Italian case is the most extreme: Prime Minister Berlusconi owns a large swathe of the country's private media. Combined with the way he directly exerts control over the policy of the public broadcasters as well, it means there is no TV station of note that can still operate independently.

The Dutch press is formally also very unified: four out of five of the main newspapers are owned by the same corporation. Only the biggest newspaper, which is more like a tabloid, is separate. I have to admit that you can't really notice any editorial control by the corporation: each of the four has different political leanings. But should the corporation fall in hands of a politically motivated owner like Murdoch, I reckon we'd be in trouble.

Murdoch's hold over the UK media landscape is pretty notorious. It is generally accepted that without his support, you can't be elected PM - when he sends his papers after you, you're done. Blair's election, the first time a Labour PM was elected in 22 years, is widely seen to only have been possible because of a deal he struck with Murdoch, with whom he met up before starting his campaign and who then didnt go after him.
0 Replies