Death Penalty

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:24 pm
You're a brat SCoates, lol!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:34 pm
I posted this somewhere else on a death penalty thread--maybe here on A2K or maybe somewhere else, I can't remember--but SCoates' comment re a 'voluntary' death penalty reminded me:

Some years ago there was a Kurt Russell movie "Escape From New York". The concept was Manhattan Island being converted into a massive maximum security prison. There were no guards on the island....only around the perimeter boats and helicopters. Anybody going into the water was immediately shot. The people on the 'prison island' formed their own society. Food, meds, and clothing were dropped in via helicopter, but otherwise they were on their own. Those who were there were there for life. No opportunity for parole. Of course the society they created there was very akin to my visions of hell.

The worst criminals were given a choice: lethal injection on the spot or they could go to the island for life.

Now we would probably never get this past Amnesty International, but would it be acceptable to those who can't accept any idea of a mandatory death penalty? It would require all the non criminals to move out of Manhattan of course. Smile
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:40 pm
No way Fox, that sounds just like Australia and we all know how that turned out! Shocked
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:45 pm
It seems to me that most would be against voluntary death. But to avoid it in favor of punishment worse than death is more barbaric in my opinion. Shouldn't the convict be allowed to decide which is worse.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:05 pm
Scarce few would choose death SCoates. It's damn near impossible to stop a man from committing suicide for any length of time if he really wants to... yet not too many do. Think about it.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:06 pm
I think it's too scary to do it to yourself. I can't imagine choosing life in prison over death.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:31 pm
I think I'd rather die then spending the rest of my life in jail.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:39 pm
Quote:
stuh
I don't even know how to respond to that nonsense. I never said anything about torture and you are surely putting all kinds of words in my mouth here.

here's what you said about torture:

Quote:
It's an easy way out for the offender. If someone did something bad enough to get the chair, then I'd rather see them rot in jail for the rest of their days.

how does this not fit your definition of torture?

and exactly what words did i put in your mouth?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:41 pm
I have to admit, Mon, I found that a little low myself. Do you really want anyone to suffer?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:42 pm
Obill writes:
Quote:
No way Fox, that sounds just like Australia and we all know how that turned out!

ROFL.

I was just reading about Glen Campbell's current incarceration tonight. He's doing time in the Maricopa County minimum security 'tent city' in the Arizona desert. Now mind you the temperature gets waaaaaay up there in southern Arizona this time of year. But he would probably choose that over an unsupervised Manhattan island prison camp.

(He's also doing concerts for the other inmates which I think is kinda cool.)

Thinking about Scoates question:

Is it humane to give a prisoner a choice between lethal injection and life in hell (on Manhattan Island?) Yeah. For those who deserve the death penalty I think it could be an option. At least it might satisfy those who oppose the death penalty for any reason.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:44 pm
oh and scoates, why are you such an ass? you ask for opionoins, i give my straight opinions, i didnt insult anyone, and you call me a pompous ass.
0 Replies

SCoates

I don't think offering death as an option is bound to satisfy the masses. I can already hear sirens blaring, and we're just discussing the concept. I believe it is more humane than incarceration, which I view as a form of torture, albeit often mandatory.
0 Replies

Montana

I did not mention torture. Torture and being in jail are 2 different things!
0 Replies

Wilso

OCCOM BILL wrote:
No way Fox, that sounds just like Australia and we all know how that turned out! Shocked

Yep. Better than the US!
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:46 pm
Montana wrote:

I could argue that, but it would just be to be annoying. Smile
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:47 pm
I think that it is probably torture for most. Most inmates would gladly undergo some torture in exchange for their sentence. IMO.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:47 pm
SCoates wrote:
Montana wrote:

I could argue that, but it would just be to be annoying. Smile

You're just itching, aren't you? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:49 pm
stuh505 wrote:
oh and scoates, why are you such an ass? you ask for opionoins, i give my straight opinions, i didnt insult anyone, and you call me a pompous ass.

I was just joking around with Montana. She said I don't put words in her mouth, so I changed her words to say something mean. You were just a civilian casualty. I am sorry I offended you though, I didn't think it would.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:49 pm
Hey SCoates, I think Stuh was addressing you with a question ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:51 pm
LOL!
0 Replies