Death Penalty

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:17 pm
Dead people can't kill any more.
Those with amputated hands can't steel anymore.
People without car can't drive drunken.
... ....

Come on, ... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:19 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Come on... this isn't some philosophical fluff.

Forum Index » Philosophy & Debate »
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:27 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Dead people can't kill any more.
Correct.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Those with amputated hands can't steel anymore.
True, but a little too violent for a non-violent crime.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
People without car can't drive drunken.
Which is why the state of Florida now takes both your car and your license away(temporarily) for this crime.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Come on, ... Twisted Evil
Where we going?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:28 pm
To me it's far beyond the realm of armchair philosophy or outrage over a news story like the one Bill refers to. My older brother was murdered and the killer was not made to pay for his crime, much less get executed. That does not change the reality of the death penalty argument. Time and again proponents offer examples of poorly run prisons as proof there ought to be one. If they want to achieve some good they need to lobby for better run prisons (I know it costs m--o--n--e--y).
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:29 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Come on... this isn't some philosophical fluff.

Forum Index » Philosophy & Debate »

LMAO
It doesn't say Forum Index » Philosophy & Debate » Fluff
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:34 pm
Sorry to hear of your loss Edgar. I mean no disrespect. My last post came before I read yours. Embarrassed
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:42 pm
Bill
My brother is immaterial to the discussion, except to demonstrate that I am keeping personal emotion out of my argument. I don't believe you would purposely disrespect anyone on here and no offense was even thought about by me.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:54 pm
Cool. I wouldn't like it if you thought ill of me. Your position is rather surprising though. Even without personal considerations, the example I used above was quoted from a murderer's appeal after an eminently preventable murder.
It seems to me they should convict at "beyond a reasonable doubt" as they do today… And execute at "with absolute certainty". With today's technology; absolute certainty can be achieved and acting accordingly will certainly prevent additional murders. It is a mathematical certainty.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 02:12 pm
To me, it is simple logic and justice. There must be an ultimate penalty or there is no incentive for a criminal not to do the worst either inside the prison or outside.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 02:56 pm
Correct, foxfyre. Lifelong. :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 03:58 pm
But Walter, I think there are some crimes deserving of lifelong that are not deserving of death. Say a murder or double murder committed during the course of a robbery to eliminate witnesses. But the execution was swift and complete without causing undue suffering to the victims.

Then there's the next guy who subjects his victims to the most excruciating horrible slow death imaginable for the sheer pleasure of watching them suffer.

Both these should incur the same penalty? I can't see that as just.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 04:07 pm
We have lots of crimes that carry life other than murder. Some States have enhancement laws like 3 strikes your out and so forth... the result being; with no death penalty, once they begin a crime there is nothing left to lose. That's not a good mind set for a violent criminal to have.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 04:11 pm
Can't say I like your examples either Fox. Murdering an innocent just so there is no witness is as cold as a human can get. Waste that waste of air too! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 04:21 pm
I think pretty important issue is also this list:

In 2003 executions took place in:

USA (65), Bangladesh (1), Botswana (4), Chad (9), China (64), Iran (76), Japan (1), Jordan (7), Qatar (1), Saudi Arabia (53), Singapore (8), Thailand (4), Uganda (3), Vietnam (52), Yemen (3) and Zimbabwe (4).

Pretty nice company?

Oh, btw, juvenile executions in 2003: 2.
One in USA; one in China.

http://www.richard.clark32.btinternet.co.uk/overview.html
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 04:25 pm
65? Spare the rod...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 04:39 pm
What sort of logic are you people using that says, We hire incompetents, making it possible for prisoners to escape: It's just too HARD; let's kill them instead?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 04:46 pm
Edgar, which prison is escape proof? Which one doesn't have potential victims for employees? What makes you think someone's incompetence is required?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 04:47 pm
It isn't so much that we hire incompetents Edgar, we keep ELECTING them. And sometimes they're letting these creeps go.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 05:04 pm
Even if what you say started happening, where do you draw the line? Yesterday a man was sentenced to 33 years for shooting into a crowd, killing a high school girl. He was trying to shoot at somebody else. Judging by what I've seen of him on television, he doesn't have what it takes to escape, unless they open the door and hide their eyes for ten hours. Kill him? Do you realize how many similar cases there are? The French reign of terror would be very similar to such a slaughter.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 05:11 pm
Edgar, he murdered a young girl while trying to murder someone else? If there can be NO doubt about his guilt; then him and 1,000,000 others like him aren't worth one innocent life. Any way you slice it, it is still sacrificing the innocent to protect the guilty.
0 Replies