Death Penalty

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 07:13 pm
I hope no one minds starting a new discussion of this subject. I assume it is well-worn here.

I am just curious what stands are taken by the different members here, and why.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,159 • Replies: 132
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 07:23 pm
When was the last time a rich white guy with a team of expensive lawyers went to the chair?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:01 pm
I am against it for 3 reasons.

#1. Too many innocent people are executed.
#2. It's an easy way out for the offender. If someone did something bad enough to get the chair, then I'd rather see them rot in jail for the rest of their days.
#3. It costs the taxpayers much more to kill them than to keep them alive.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:03 pm
Any statistics or stories on your first point?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:24 pm
Not off hand. It's all stuff I've run across over the years and I'd have to do some research to get the statistics. I do remember the numbers being high enough to shock me though. I supose the numbers have decreased tremendously due to the great advancements in forensic science and DNA testing, but that doesn't change my perspective.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:47 pm
Quote:
#1. Too many innocent people are executed.

the use of DNA testing has brought about a new type of evidence which I think has caused some older convicted criminals to be proven innocent...but do you think this is still going to happen a lot today? Im SURE we will still convict innocent people, but what im saying is, these people wont be detected in the future because there wont be any new sources of evidence to go back and look over the cases with. so whether they are innocent really doesnt matter, because they are never going to get released anyway...ive heard prison isnt a very nice place to live, and i know theres nothign unpleasant in death, so might as well just kill em.

Quote:
#2. It's an easy way out for the offender. If someone did something bad enough to get the chair, then I'd rather see them rot in jail for the rest of their days.

you want the innocent people to 'rot in jail' for the rest of their days as well? jail certainly is worse...but the law is NOT about emotion and it is NOT about revenge...people who think this way are disrespectful to our country. the law is there to keep order. the purpose of prison is to protect people from criminals on the street, not to torture them. if torture were the purpose, we would have racks and other torture implements. and you called ME sick for not being anti-hunting!

Quote:
#3. It costs the taxpayers much more to kill them than to keep them alive.

this fact should cause us to make executions and the court system cheaper, not to put more people in jail. keeping people in jail is just a burden to society, even if it is less expensive for a certain duration of time, the principle of people paying to support criminals incartcerated for life is ridiculous. imagine some woman gets her husband murdured, she gets a low paying job and barely earns enough to get by on her own, and she makes even less money because some of it goes towards feeding her husbands murderer who is in jail.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:50 pm
On balance, I think far too many people are going to prison. I would prefer most non violent offenders be given an option of jail time or paying restitution for their crime. Martha Stewart for instance does not belong in prison. Hit her with a hefty fine and require some impressive community service. But jail? Ridiculous.

Some others should serve hard time that should include hard labor, required education, required vocational training, etc. etc. before they are let out.

Some others should go to prison with no hope of parole and throw away the keys.

But there are a few who are so evil, who do such horrendous acts and cause intentional unimaginable suffering to their victims who forfeit their right to continue as a member of the human race. For these, I believe the death penalty is appropriate.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:51 pm
SCoates
I did a little research and came up with this so far:

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/jun2000/dp-j22.shtml
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:53 pm
Innocent convictions is something to which I've given little thought. It must be fairly significant, and destroys lives. How sad.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:53 pm
Smoke um! My mom used to say: If you don't kill the bastards, how they gonna learn?

Dennis Miller wrote:
Is it cruel? Of course it is... that's why we only use it on the bad people... and it wouldn't be so damned unusual if we used it more often.
I love that guy.

Wilso wrote:
When was the last time a rich white guy with a team of expensive lawyers went to the chair?
Wilso, getting off with money isn't a color issue.
http://www.mistersf.com/images/simpsonmug02.jpg

This reminds me, I owe Joe an argument on something else.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:59 pm
stuh
I don't even know how to respond to that nonsense. I never said anything about torture and you are surely putting all kinds of words in my mouth here. I expressed my opinion on the question asked and I responded to a question that SCoates asked me, so please don't pretend to know how I feel or what I think!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:03 pm
SCoates wrote:
Innocent convictions is something to which I've given little thought. It must be fairly significant, and destroys lives. How sad.

No doubt, and I think the statistics would shock you. It's driving my nuts that I can't find them, but maybe someone else will post something.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:03 pm
Montana, I know how you feel and think, but I hope that doesn't offend you too. Sad
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:07 pm
Not at all SCoates. I value peoples opinions whether I agree with them or not. I can argue with you and shake hands when it's all over ;-) What I truly can't stand is when people put words in my mouth and you don't do that ;-)
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:13 pm
Montana wrote:
Not at all SCoates. I value peoples opinions whether I agree with them or not. I can argue with you and shake hands when it's all over ;-) What I truly can't stand is Stuh, what a pompous jerk. Evil or Very Mad

That was a little harsh... Sad
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:18 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
On balance, I think far too many people are going to prison. I would prefer most non violent offenders be given an option of jail time or paying restitution for their crime. Martha Stewart for instance does not belong in prison. Hit her with a hefty fine and require some impressive community service. But jail? Ridiculous.

Some others should serve hard time that should include hard labor, required education, required vocational training, etc. etc. before they are let out.

Some others should go to prison with no hope of parole and throw away the keys.

But there are a few who are so evil, who do such horrendous acts and cause intentional unimaginable suffering to their victims who forfeit their right to continue as a member of the human race. For these, I believe the death penalty is appropriate.

I agree with all that you said here, but if a person were put to death, I think the evidence should be overwhelming leaving do doubt to the persons guilt.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:20 pm
Oh I agree Montana. It can't be on circumstantial evidence. There must be no doubt.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:20 pm
I could see offering the death penalty... but I think that is more appropriate than forcing it. I'm just a forgiving guy.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:21 pm
SCoates wrote:
Montana wrote:
Not at all SCoates. I value peoples opinions whether I agree with them or not. I can argue with you and shake hands when it's all over ;-) What I truly can't stand is Stuh, what a pompous jerk. Evil or Very Mad

That was a little harsh... Sad

Hey, cut that out, lol! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:22 pm
Wink
0 Replies