What is the origin of the he'll fire teaching?

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 12:16 pm
@neologist,
The graphic is also in reference to the original texts of the Bible themselves.
neologist

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 12:30 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Please provide links to original texts to which you refer.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 12:38 pm
@neologist,
The New Testament is full of images of Hell as a place of eternal torment. Here are just a few examples.

Mark 9 wrote:

“If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea. If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. 45 And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. 47 And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where

“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’

Revelation 14 wrote:

“If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”

Revelations 21 wrote:
He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Mathhew 25 wrote:
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

Matthew 13 wrote:
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:

Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.

So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,

And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

neologist

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 01:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Read a little higher in Revelation 21, to vs 4
Quote:
"And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
Or, a little higher in ch 20, vs 14
Quote:
And death and the Grave were hurled into the lake of fire.
Or 1Corinthians 15:26
Quote:
26 As the last enemy, death is to be brought to nothing
If death and the grave (hades) are destroyed, where will all the spooks go?

I would apologize for all those translators and priests who thought they needed fire to keep the folks in line, but I wasn't there to oversee them.

There is a reason the OT Jews did not believe in 'hell'. It's BS.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 01:11 pm
@neologist,
Isaiah 14:9, Ezekiel 32:21, Proverbs 15:24, Luke 16:23, Revelation 1:18, Matthew 11:23, Luke 10:15, etc.
neologist

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 02:13 pm
@InfraBlue,
And the original texts you referred to are . . . .. ?
neologist

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 02:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
So, you can't accept the assertion that the concept of hell did not exist in the so-called OT?
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 04:06 pm
@neologist,
So called "OT?" What do you call it?

Oh, I can accept that assertion, but not by your arguments, which are contradicted by the first point in that graphic.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 04:15 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

And the original texts you referred to are . . . .. ?

Isaiah 14:9, Ezekiel 32:21, Proverbs 15:24, Luke 16:23, Revelation 1:18, Matthew 11:23, Luke 10:15, etc.
neologist

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 04:20 pm
@InfraBlue,
In the Hebrew scriptures, the grave is morally neutral, accepting righteous and unrighteous alike. In what way does the graphic contradict?
neologist

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 04:21 pm
@InfraBlue,
Waiting to see originals, as promised.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 04:55 pm
@neologist,
The graphic is referring to sheol as a place that everyone goes to when they die, i.e. the abode of the dead, the underworld. Not everyone goes to a grave when they die, e.g. cremation.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 04:56 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

To what promise are you referring?
neologist

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 05:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
To what promise are you referring?
InfraBlue wrote:
I then asked for a link to those originals. Sorry if I inferred it to be a promise. But you seemed so sure. . .
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 07:23 pm
@neologist,
There is no contradiction here Neologist. The Bible is pretty clear...

1) Death has been overcome for people who believe in God and accept Jesus, and for them God will wipe away every tear.
2) There is eternal punishment in Hell for people who don't believe in God and accept Jesus. For them there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

That is why when you "read a little higher" there is all good things. The good promises are for the people who accept God's word and the blood of Christ.

Hell is for non-believers.

You are interpreting away all of the Scriptures... and that is your right. But if you gave the Bible to anyone who wasn't from your Church and told them to read all of it and then come up with an understanding of Hell... they would just from reading the Bible come up with the idea that Hell is a place of eternal torment for unbelievers.

Your church has the right to interpret away the scriptures however they want.

But if you are asking where other Church's came up with Hellfire teaching, the answer is that these teachings are from a direct reading of the Bible.

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 09:10 pm
@neologist,
Sorry, you misunderstood what I said. I was referring to your reply to max about translators of the Bible. The graphic cites transliterations of the original texts used in the bible like sheol, hades, and Gehenna. I provided instances where they appear in some of the different books of the Bible.
0 Replies

theMadOne

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 06:39 am
@anthony1312002,
It got started when Christ was ridiculing the adoption of the Greek religion by the Pharisees. THEY were those dressed in purple and linen in the crowds when Christ expounded the parable of Lk 16.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 07:43 am
@anthony1312002,
He'll fire?
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 07:53 am
@neologist,
But they aren't destroyed.

Fire turns things into their base materials. I can skim the dross off and extract the ore. Or pour it and cast it into shapes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AUn6LzakHsM

Only what it was before is destroyed.
theMadOne

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 09:04 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Like people?
0 Replies