What is the origin of the he'll fire teaching?

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 04:27 am
@InfraBlue,
If there is a blowhard here, it is you. English texts us the word "hell" because it was in use in Old English before the Anglo-Saxons were even converted to christianity, Einstein. An establish concept was co-opted for christian use, a long, established practice. I didn't say the concept of a punishment in the afterlife didn't exist, I was simply referring to the word "Hell." Does that sink in with you, bright boy? Like so many of the ignorant and rhetorically bereft, your arrogance is your most glaring feature.
Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 04:29 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
You said hell is a translation of the word hades in the Bible--it's not.
True. But many translators use the word 'hell' where the original text used 'hades', 'gehenna', etc.

So what? That's not what I was talking about. Another genius heard from. Why don't you just STFU when it comes to anything I post?
Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 04:31 am
@maxdancona,
So the f*ck what. Read your own first sentence again, and try to understand that that was what I was talking about--and that at no time did I state or even imply that a concept of "hell" didn't exist before the 16th century.

What a collection of petty minded fools in this thread.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 07:31 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
. . . Why don't you just STFU when it comes to anything I post?
. . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 07:35 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
If there is a blowhard here, it is you. . . .your arrogance is your most glaring feature.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 12:25 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Setanta wrote:
If there is a blowhard here, it is you. . . .your arrogance is your most glaring feature.

I love irony.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:06 pm
@Setanta,
You're just chasing your own tail, Blovo, seeing as how these red herring non sequitur bloviations, just like your previous ones, do not negate the the point that I made that the word "hell" is used to translate the Greek hades in English translations of the Bible. If anything, you continue to demonstrate that your obstinate asininity has no bounds.
Setanta

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 01:29 am
@InfraBlue,
No, now you're editing what you said previously. The Proto-Germanic concept of "hell" was as a place for the "evil dead." Hades, Shoel and Gehenna do not describe that--so if you claim it was a translation, it was a piss-poor translati9on.

Bray, jackass, bray. Hey, I now, tell us again how the Japanese attacked Hawaii in 1941 as an act of retaliation for the shelling of the Japanese coast in 1854--that one's always good for a laugh. Idiiot.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 02:27 am
@Setanta,
Where did I edit what I said previously?

Your contention about "Hell" being a piss-poor translation for "Hades," "Sheol" and "Gehenna" does not negate the fact that it is used to translate, i.e "to render in another language," (seeing as how it's a difficulty for you, try looking up the word in a dictionary) those words in English translations of the Bible.

If you are having difficulty with the fact that the word "Hell" is used to translate the words "Hades," "Sheol" and "Gehenna" in English translations of the Bible, simply look up Strong's Concordance of the King James Version, if you can put aside your penchant for making a bigger and bigger ass of yourself long enough to do so. In that, you have few equals.

My but the simple are easily entertained chasing their own tails.

Where did I say that the Japanese attacked Hawaii in 1941 in retaliation for the shelling of the Japanese coast in 1854?

Chase that tail Blovo!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 04:04 am
Earlier in the thread you said that hell is a translation of Hades--which it is not, even remotely, especially as hell and hades have very different meanings.

InfraBlue wrote:
Hell is a translation of the word hades and others in the Bible.

Called on that, you braying jackass, you change your tune to say that it was used to translate. You can dance if you want, but you don't do it well, and you deserve to be criticized for the attempt.

Your bullshit about Japan came in a thread a couple of years back in a claim that Japan's attack on Hawaii was justified on such a basis. Given that I do not chase my tail, or anyone else's, don't expect me to hunt it down to quote it for you. Jackass.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 01:26 pm
@Setanta,
Just can't help perpetuating your asininity, can you, Blovo?

It was amusing seeing you chase your tail around, but, like on the Japan thread, you've become tiresome. This is my last response to you concerning these issues.

The meanings may be different, but that is absolutely irrelevant to the fact that "Hell" is a word that many Bible scholars have used throughout the centuries to render the word Hades into their English translations. Your difficulty comprehending the concept is your problem not mine. Maybe if you'd take the time to extract your head from your rectum you'd let enough oxygen to flow to your brain to give it at least half a chance. But then again, you're probably just plain stupid, so taking your head out of your ass would be futile. Just leave it shoved right up there.

In the thread about Japan's attack on Hawaii I was suggesting that Japan was acting on the concept of "might makes right," which, as concerns the dealings between it and the US, the US set the precedent with its "Gunboat Diplomacy" in 1854. Nowhere, you stupid ****, did I say that it was an act of retaliation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 04:43 pm
This thread is hilarious, especially infrapink taking himself so seriously--and, of course, his entire program of insults and name-calling. He's really special . . . you know, like Special Olympics?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 05:29 pm
You sure learn to control your temper, Bubba--you'll give yourself high blood pressure . . . ulcers . . .
0 Replies

Joe Sixpack

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 06:14 pm
I'm gonna stay outta this
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 09:33 am
@maxdancona,
Hi maxdancona,

Yes, I've read those texts as well. Of particular interest is the text you listed that is found at Revelation 20:14. Note that before the reference to the lake of fire, the verse clearly states that death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. Here are 2 questions that deserve serious consideration.

1: Isn't Hades the lake of fire? If it is, how is Hades thrown into Hades?
2: Death, is not a living being that can be tortured and made to feel pain but a condtion all humans experience due to sickness or a major accident. Since it cannot be punished why is it thrown into the lake of fire?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on these.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 04:21 pm
@anthony1312002,
That passage can be read as referring to Hades, the god of the underworld and Death, which appears in the Greek texts as θάνατος, Thanatos, as its personification.
Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 05:01 pm
The Greek concept of Hades (as a place, rather than a persona) was not of a lake of fire. It was value neutral, simply the abode of the spirits of the dead, without references to good or evil. The more ancient concept of Tartarus is more akin to the Christian concept.
neologist

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 05:20 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
That passage can be read as referring to Hades, the god of the underworld and Death, which appears in the Greek texts as θάνατος, Thanatos, as its personification.
Could be. But the previous verse casts a better light From the KJV:
Quote:
And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. (Revelation 20:13,14)
neologist

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 05:22 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The Greek concept of Hades (as a place, rather than a persona) was not of a lake of fire. It was value neutral, simply the abode of the spirits of the dead, without references to good or evil. . .
Would you say that corresponds with the Hebrew 'sheol' as a place of the dead?
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 06:14 am
@InfraBlue,
Hi Infra Blue,
Are you referring to Revelation 20:14?