"to be as something as it is something" - Grammar check help!

rlhe

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 03:20 am
Hello there! Quick question: would like to check if this sentence is grammatically sound:
"While not entirely a sad song, “Hey Jude” is nevertheless as moving as it is uplifting."

What I mean here is that the song is equally moving and uplifting. Is my use of "as...as it is..." grammatically sound? What is it called in grammatical terms (e.g. conditional sentence etc.)—if you know? Thank you! ☺
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 926 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 03:34 am
@rlhe,
First, who would like to check if the sentence is grammatically sound? It is not proper English to omit the subject of a sentence. In this case, it appears what you ought to have written is "I would like . . . "

The sentence is fine as it is written, and it is in the present indicative. However, it is nonsensical. You write: "While not entirely a sad song, “Hey Jude” is nevertheless as moving as it is uplifting."--which implies that there ought to be some aspect or aspects of the song which are sad, but that clearly is not what moving and uplifting mean. It would be better to make two sentences to express what you are attempting to say. For example, you might write:

" 'Hey Jude' is not at all a sad song. It is as moving as it is uplifting." There is no use for the word nevertheless in what you are expressing.

As a stylistic note, in American practice, when a sentence is enclosed in double quotation marks, any use of quotation marks within the sentence would use single quotation marks. (British usage is different, but those people are clumsy at best in their stylistic approach to the language.) So, i might write:

James stated to the police officer: "I heard a shout, and when i turned, is saw a man running, who said: 'That guy has a gun!,' so I began running myself.":
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 04:05 am
@rlhe,
Hi Rlhe,
This sentence is not in proper English, so I'm unable to understand what you are trying to say in this sentence. Frame it again so that the reader can understand the correct meaning of this sentence.
Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 04:09 am
@selectmytutor,
You don't know a goddamned thing about the English language, do you? While the sentence is awkward, one might say inept, it is comprehensible. What the author is attempting to say is clear, it's just not expressed well. I wish phonies like you would not come here and pretend to have expertise in the English language.
0 Replies