Thu 23 Jul, 2015 10:51 pm
I am a survivor of sexual assault.

I recently started a thread here on A2K, simply copy and pasting a news story about two women who were being harassed.

Without any editorializing, and just for posting the news story itself I became a target of harassment here on A2K.

Some posters claimed I was a man in disguise. Some made vile comments directed towards me. All of it was harassment. Gender based harassment.

There is no excuse for this. And women face this everyday online.

I encourage others to post here sharing stories about what feminism means to them. About the courage they've showed in the face of misogyny. About the struggles they've had to face in a world where women earn .77 cents to every man's dollar.

Let's make this a positive, female friendly safe space. Please refrain from misogyny, hatred, and bigotry here.

It's time to start supporting women.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,934 • Replies: 62
Topic Closed

 
whitebars
 
  1  
Thu 23 Jul, 2015 11:02 pm
Great news for women in New York! Smile

Cuomo Signs Affirmative Consent College Sexual Assault Bill Into Law


NEW YORK, July 7 (Reuters) - Legislation requiring universities in New York state to adopt a uniform affirmative sexual consent policy was signed by Governor Andrew Cuomo on Tuesday.

The so-called "yes means yes" standard defines sexual consent between people as an affirmative, conscious and voluntary understanding to engage in sexual activity. It is part of a nationwide movement aimed at curbing sexual assaults on college campuses.

"Why is sex assault on college campuses such a problem? Because we let it go on too long," Cuomo said at New York University, where he spoke to a crowd of the bill's supporters.

The legislation expands regulations that apply only to State University of New York schools.

The signing followed a similar move in California in September, when the state required public universities to adopt a "yes means yes" policy.

New York's legislation also provides more money for state police investigations into campus sex crimes and resources for victims, such as abuse hotlines. It provides amnesty to students reporting cases of sexual violence.

U.S. House of Representatives Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and singer Lady Gaga were among the bill's biggest supporters. (Reporting by Laila Kearney)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/07/cuomo-affirmative-consent_n_7746174.html
0 Replies
 
whitebars
 
  0  
Thu 23 Jul, 2015 11:12 pm
Did anyone else watch this documentary?

Most white people are racist, and this needed to be made. I'm glad the filmmakers stuck to their guns.

White People 101
MTV’s documentary points out some facts about race that might seem obvious until you realize that for many Americans they’re not.


http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/07/white-people-mtv-jose-antonio-vargas-backlash-lessons-privilege/399302/
Krumple
 
  1  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:04 am
@whitebars,
whitebars wrote:
I encourage others to post here sharing stories about what feminism means to them. About the courage they've showed in the face of misogyny. About the struggles they've had to face in a world where women earn .77 cents to every man's dollar.


As soon as any feminist makes this statement, they should no longer be taken seriously. It has been shown to be wrong. It is a misunderstood statistic and built upon imbalanced data to make it appear as if there is a wage discrepancy. But if you repeat bad data enough people will begin to think it is true.
whitebars
 
  1  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:11 am
@Krumple,
I said this is a female safe space! Take your misogyny somewhere else please. Thank you.

whitebars
 
  0  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:13 am
@whitebars,
Thank you President Obama!

Did You Know That Women Are Still Paid Less Than Men?


On average, full-time working women earn just 77 cents for every dollar a man earns. This significant gap is more than a statistic -- it has real life consequences. When women, who make up nearly half the workforce, bring home less money each day, it means they have less for the everyday needs of their families, and over a lifetime of work, far less savings for retirement.

The gender wage gap puts women at a career-long disadvantage
President Obama supports passage of the Paycheck Fairness Act, a comprehensive and commonsense bill that updates and strengthens the Equal Pay Act of 1963, which made it illegal for employers to pay unequal wages to men and women who perform substantially equal work.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/equal-pay/career
Krumple
 
  3  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:17 am
@whitebars,
whitebars wrote:

I said this is a female safe space! Take your misogyny somewhere else please. Thank you.


Does that mean a female that doesn't support modern feminism is therefore a misogynist? If I am a misogynist, then you are a crazy nutcase, so which is it?
whitebars
 
  0  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:19 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Does that mean a female that doesn't support modern feminism is therefore a misogynist?


They have internalized misogyny.

Quote:
you are a crazy nutcase


This is harassment. When you call women derogatory names, you prove your misogyny.
Krumple
 
  1  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:27 am
@whitebars,
whitebars wrote:
This is harassment. When you call women derogatory names, you prove your misogyny.


And if I call a male a nutcase is that misandry?
whitebars
 
  -1  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:28 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And if I call a male a nutcase is that misandry?


Not if he is a misogynist.
Krumple
 
  3  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:29 am
@whitebars,
whitebars wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And if I call a male a nutcase is that misandry?


Not if he is a misogynist.


Oh, well good to know the hate can only go one direction.
whitebars
 
  0  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:33 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Oh, well good to know the hate can only go one direction.


Women are by abused by men more than men are abused by women. And most of the time when a woman acts out at a man, it is in self defense.
Krumple
 
  1  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:44 am
@whitebars,
whitebars wrote:

Quote:
Oh, well good to know the hate can only go one direction.


Women are by abused by men more than men are abused by women. And most of the time when a woman acts out at a man, it is in self defense.


Not sure what that has to do with any thing. A lot of women abuse other women too, it might not be in a physical way but definitely in a psychological or emotional way. So what's your point?

Why not evolve with the rest of us and see that modern feminism is really just anti-male. It is like if the KKK were attempting to claim they are for racial equality. It is clear they are not.

Join the rest of us as humanists or egalitarianists. But maybe you don't like it because they don't hate males?
whitebars
 
  -3  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:49 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
...humanists or egalitarianists. But maybe you don't like it because they don't hate males?


"humanist" and "egalitarian" are just synonyms for men's rights activists. men's rights activists hate women.

Feminism is about equality. Men's rights is about hatred. And that's because men have always had all the privileges, and advantages.

Please leave this thread alone. This thread is about respect for women. Please go be misogynist somewhere else.
Krumple
 
  1  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:59 am
@whitebars,
whitebars wrote:

Quote:
...humanists or egalitarianists. But maybe you don't like it because they don't hate males?


"humanist" and "egalitarian" are just synonyms for men's rights activists. men's rights activists hate women.

Feminism is about equality. Men's rights is about hatred. And that's because men have always had all the privileges, and advantages.

Please leave this thread alone. This thread is about respect for women. Please go be misogynist somewhere else.


Oh so amusing that you can't even seen your own personal contradiction.

"Hey I am a feminist and I am for equality, so get out, I don't want you here."

If you want to enter a public area and spout out your ideology, you can't just assume you get to dictate your ideas without challenge. Let's face it, you are not honestly promoting equality. You claim humanists and egalitarian are misogynists well what you are promoting is misandry.
0 Replies
 
Olivier5
 
  1  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 03:43 am
I love vaginas! Especially those viginas that love penises.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  4  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 03:56 am
Apparently it needs to be said again that this is not a public venue. It is a private venue, although the owners have been extremely tolerant about members expressing their points of view.

So, for example, there is absolutely no basis upon which the author of this thread can exclude other members from commenting on the topic or the author. As an example of that, i agree with what was said in the other thread--this is likely an attempt by Nononono or some other puerile misogynist to make feminists look ridiculous. Whether or not that is the case--this is a pathetic thread.
Olivier5
 
  0  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 04:04 am
Whitey is a women. Of that I am almost certain, having met similar women in the flesh. There is no reason to disbelieve her claim to a vagina.
Krumple
 
  2  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 04:53 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Whitey is a women. Of that I am almost certain, having met similar women in the flesh. There is no reason to disbelieve her claim to a vagina.


I don't buy that whitebars is not a POE. A school teacher, with a masters degree in gender studies? The majority of the posts are on feminism and the first post about being touched "inappropriately" by a grade schooler and wondering what to do about it?

If this is actually a true person that is not a POE. A school teacher like this, then I really have concerns over the future. I mean I know there are some stupid teachers out there but she sets the bar. That is, if "she" is even a she. I am skeptical on that too.
jespah
 
  3  
Fri 24 Jul, 2015 05:17 am
@whitebars,
whitebars wrote:

....
Most white people are racist, ...


You are hanging your hat on some awfully ridiculous and unsupported assumptions.
 

Related Topics

How to use the new able2know - Discussion by Craven de Kere
New A2K feature requests. - Discussion by DrewDad
I'm the developer - Discussion by Nick Ashley
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
A2K censors tags? - Discussion by hingehead
New A2K Bugs - Discussion by sozobe
New A2K annoyances - Discussion by sozobe
The a2k world is changing 3: about voting - Discussion by Craven de Kere
LOST & MISPLACED A2K people. - Discussion by msolga
Welcome to the 'New' My Posts - Discussion by Nick Ashley
The "I get folksonomy" club - Discussion by Robert Gentel
 
  1. Forums
  2. » In support of feminism
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 06/23/2021 at 09:47:40