Olivier5

Fri 24 Jul, 2015 05:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
I need to get one of these to my wife. :-)
hawkeye10

Fri 24 Jul, 2015 06:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Ya, so many women think that the words "you make me uncomfortable, so you need to stop" should always work because they have a vagina. They base of their argument is that women really are the weaker sex, in spite of constant assertions to the contrary.

That is the problem with almost all feminist theory, it is logically inconsistent and has little reality to anything that is happening outside of a womans head.
wmwcjr

Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:12 pm
@whitebars,
Quote:
I am a survivor of sexual assault.

Words cannot express how sorry I am that this has happened to you. I suspect there's a lot of hurt behind your anger. Instead of engaging in contentious exchanges here, you need positive moral support elsewhere. You might find it at the Sexual Assault Survivors Support Group at Democratic Underground: http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=forum&id=1266

Best wishes and good luck!
0 Replies

whitebars

Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Take a look at the OP's tags on their page. Whether it's a man or a woman, it's truly whack.

Vaginas are a symbol of female empowerment!

Do you not have any knowledge of Judy Chicago and the "Dinner party"? How about Georgia O'Keeffe???

What would I know about those women? I'm not a feminist, nope I'm not even a woman! Rolling Eyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Chicago#The_Dinner_Party

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dinner_Party

The Dinner Party is an installation artwork by feminist artist Judy Chicago. Widely regarded as the first epic feminist artwork, it functions as a symbolic history of women in Western civilization. ... Each place setting features a table runner embroidered with the woman's name and images or symbols relating to her accomplishments, with a napkin, utensils, a glass or goblet, and a plate. Many of the plates feature a butterfly- or flower-like sculpture as a vulva symbol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_O%27Keeffe

0 Replies

whitebars

Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Take a look at the OP's tags on their page. Whether it's a man or a woman, it's truly whack.

What on earth would vaginas have to do with feminism? Rolling Eyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vagina_Monologues
whitebars

Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:31 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Quote:
But aside from all that, what does racism have to do with your misandristic brand of feminism?

The prism of cultural studies and identity politics, me guess.

Inter-sectional feminism is what it is. Black women have it the worst out of anyone.
Olivier5

Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:07 am
@whitebars,
Intersectionality is indeed a genuine part of cultural studies and identity politics.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:08 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
so many women think that the words "you make me uncomfortable, so you need to stop" should always work because they have a vagina.

Describes my wife to a T, but I still love her... :-)
0 Replies

firefly

Sat 25 Jul, 2015 09:33 am
@whitebars,
Quote:

What on earth would vaginas have to do with feminism?

Actually nothing. Vaginas have to do with female anatomy, not with feminism.

That artists and writers may use symbolic representations of female genitalia in their work does not seem directly related to feminism--as either a social/political movement or gender based philosophy--they simply address, or express, or celebrate, being female through their works. That's quite different than supporting "feminism".

Having a vagina does not make, or qualify, one as a feminist any more than the lack of a vagina disqualifies one from being a feminist.

And focusing on vaginas, in a literal manner, which is what you seem to do, is reducing women, and womanhood, to not only being sexually objectified, but to being objectified based in a single bodily part--the genitalia. If that's your brand of alleged "feminism" I find it curiously sexist and misogynist and exclusionary. It's not a brand of feminism I would care to support.

Which current prominent feminist thinkers most influence your own views regarding feminism, and why is that the case?

0 Replies

firefly

Sat 25 Jul, 2015 10:16 am
@whitebars,
Quote:

"humanist" and "egalitarian" are just synonyms for men's rights activists. men's rights activists hate women.

You are aware, aren't you, that Gloria Steinem, a feminist with far more impeccable credentials in that regard than your own, has always considered herself to be basically a humanist. Regarding the movement, she said...
Quote:
This is no simple reform. It really is a revolution. Sex and race because they are easy and visible differences have been the primary ways of organizing human beings into superior and inferior groups and into the cheap labor on which this system still depends. We are talking about a society in which there will be no roles other than those chosen or those earned. We are really talking about humanism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Steinem#cite_note-48

Steinem, among her many honors and awards, received the American Humanist Association's 2012 Humanist of the Year award.
Quote:
The Humanist: You’re being honored with the 2012 Humanist of the Year award. What led to you accepting this award from the American Humanist Association? Do you feel that your writing and activism as a feminist intersects with humanism?

Gloria Steinem: I always thought that “humanist” was a good word long before I understood that anyone thought it was a bad word. It seems to me that it means you believe in the great potential and the best of human beings, so I didn’t have to overcome anything to accept this award; it seemed an unmitigated honor. And since the ultra-right wing has tried so hard to make it a bad word— “humanist” has been demonized in much the same way that the word “feminist” has—it seemed especially important to identify as humanist and support humanist groups...
http://thehumanist.com/magazine/september-october-2012/features/the-humanist-interview-with-gloria-steinem
whitebars

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 05:39 pm
@firefly,
Wow, your ignorance in regards to feminism is astounding. It's clear that you have no understanding of basic feminist concepts.

First of all, the men's rights movement lays claim to egalitarianism, and humanism in an attempt to derail the feminist discourse. And that's perfectly fine, because feminism is about REAL equality. I'm sure that Steinem would first and foremost call her self a feminist rather than a humanist.

Quote:
Actually nothing. Vaginas have to do with female anatomy, not with feminism.

What an ignorant comment. Feminists have always used vaginal imagery to illustrate the power that the vagina represents. The vagina is the source of all human life. Pretty powerful if you ask me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Origine_du_monde

Quote:
That artists and writers may use symbolic representations of female genitalia in their work does not seem directly related to feminism--as either a social/political movement or gender based philosophy--they simply address, or express, or celebrate, being female through their works. That's quite different than supporting "feminism".

It IS directly related to feminism. 'The Dinner Party' was the "Widely regarded as the first epic feminist artwork, it functions as a symbolic history of women in Western civilization."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dinner_Party

Also many feminist artists have created other vaginal works.

~Vaginal knitting
~Menstruation painting
~Vaginal yogart
~And on, and on...

http://www.arthistoryarchive.com/arthistory/feminist/

Quote:
And focusing on vaginas, in a literal manner, which is what you seem to do, is reducing women, and womanhood, to not only being sexually objectified, but to being objectified based in a single bodily part--the genitalia.

And that certainly sounds like projection on your part. If what you're claiming was true, then feminists like Judy Chicago and the like were all misogynists.

Quote:
Which current prominent feminist thinkers most influence your own views regarding feminism

The contemporary women I admire most are probably Jessica Valenti, Naomi Wolf, Sheryl Sandberg, Lena Dunham, Malala Yousafzai, Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Emma Watson, and Anti Sarkeesian.

If you want to be an ally to women firefly, I suggest you spend some time reading about these women, instead of harassing women like myself online and claiming that we're men.

Your shaming tactics will not work on me.
whitebars

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 05:42 pm
@whitebars,
https://vimeo.com/67556847
0 Replies

whitebars

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 08:51 pm
I would like to get this thread back on track.

If there are any feminists out there, would you be willing to share personal stories of misogyny that you've faced, and how you dealt with it?

The only way we as women can combat misogyny and rape culture is to talk about it.
0 Replies

Swagnum

Tue 12 Apr, 2016 06:41 pm
@whitebars,
TRIGGER WARNING

Feminists are ideological people who many are misandrist. The whole feminist movement really angers me. Women are equal in all aspects. Yes there are some social differences between men and women but these are needed as with out them the structure of western society starts to fail.

Thank fook we are not living in an Islamic state. Then women would know how inequality works.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 12 Apr, 2016 06:44 pm
Ah, the stench of bigotry.
Swagnum

Tue 12 Apr, 2016 06:47 pm
@whitebars,
FALSE

The wage gap is a myth. 77 - $1 may be a fact, but it does not take into account the different choices women make. For example, Women are statistically less likely to work overtime, Women take longer time off for maternity and aso women tend to take more holidays than men.

As you stated it is illegal for this to be done and if it where the case where women are getting less then would an employer not hire as many women as possible? saving thousands annually in a business.

Another point is that the wage gap take in Earning rather than actual hourly wage, witch is two separate things.
0 Replies

Swagnum

Tue 12 Apr, 2016 06:49 pm
@Setanta,
Ah, the stench of a well rounded statistical response.
0 Replies

JNery

Sat 23 Apr, 2016 05:16 am
Hi Folks,
Brought 36 pound package to my local USPS office. USPS is a union contracted equal pay employer.

I put the package on the postal scale. The female clerk looked at the scales display, turned to her male counterpart to her right and said, "Doug, I have a heavy package for you to take away when you have a chance."

Note: USPS handles packages up to 70 pound.

We need to work on this before equal pay can be widely accepted.

Before the tomatoes start flying I will sign off.

JN

Lash

Mon 25 Apr, 2016 05:17 pm
@Krumple,
Hey you misogynist, this is a safe space for elderly chicks. Eat some celery on my behalf and stand in the corner not thinking of vaginas.

(watches closely, jots on clipboard)
0 Replies

TomNice

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 09:46 am
@Krumple,
Krumple, I understand that statistic. It means that jobs that are women tend to be in pay less than jobs men tend to be in. That means that women earn 77 cents to every man’s dollar. For over 5,000 years women have been treated as second class citizens or even worse. For more than half of its history women have not been guaranteed the vote in the US Constitution. I don’t believe that society is like a switch that can instantly be turned one way or another. Just because women are given the right to vote or just because civil rights legislation is passed doesn’t mean that there is no longer any discrimination. There has been extreme discrimination against women, because they are women, but no discrimination against men because they are men. I vote and based on what I know I will vote for the candidate I feel will be most willing to help women out of what I see as discrimination.

Tom,
0 Replies