Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 05:58 pm
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2019 11:29 am
@coluber2001,
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 02:31 pm
Canuck and I

I'm standing out here by the Block, still trying to come to terms with what just occurred. I'm really just trying to gather my thoughts. This next series of posts on the page will be in a four-part series. I want to show all of you how this all transpired, and how many amazing things happened this morning. With it all of it leading to, well you'll see. And how truly moving it is that not only do I get to experience this, but that I also get to document it so I can share it with all of you. It all started with something many of you know well from following the page, Keep-away. Canuck found a pen in the alley this morning and like always, the game of keep-away was on! We played for quite a while until I noticed something. :-)

Continued in Post 2, coming soon...
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49914602_1980226305418347_6453521192140668928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&oh=a915e6b9fff229b5817b62f59209bd86&oe=5CBFAAB7
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 04:09 pm

This video shows the 1st and 2nd of three amazing things that happened today. As I mentioned in post number one, Canuck and I were playing keep-away when I noticed something. That something was this Crow sitting on the fence watching Canuck and I play keep away. This was the first amazing thing of the day. It's been common to have other Crows other than Cassiar and Junior watch me play keep-away with Canuck, but not in such close proximity. I was shocked how close this one was and how interested it seemed in the interaction between Canuck and myself. I decided to start filming him or her, just to show how close this Crow was.
But then came amazing thing number two. In order for me to film this Crow sitting there staring at Canuck and I, the game of keep-away had to be put on hold. Well, Canuck wasn't having any of that. Canuck in the past has shown that he can be jealous towards anyone or any other Crow seeking my attention. But not to this degree. He went from observing me from the ground filming this other Crow, to hopping up on the railing that lines the fence in the back alley, then to which he flew up to my arm. Still with the pen in his mouth. As I looked over to see him, he was staring at me as if to say; "Hey buddy! I'm right here." I've never seen Canuck show that degree of jealousy before. Usually he has just gone after the other person or other Crow to get rid of them. I have never had him get in my face to let me know that I need to show him more attention. I realized I needed to get back to our game, and so we resumed.
However, what would happen immediately after our game of keep-away would blow my mind. :-)

Continued in Post 3. Coming soon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 04:11 pm

As I mentioned in Post 2, I had just finished my game of keep-away when the 3rd amazing thing happened today. And it was by far, the most amazing thing to happen so far with Junior. I'm so excited! I had just finished my game of keep-away with Canuck, and all of a sudden Junior showed up. But he had something, a little bottle. And, he had a look in his eye. I was a little unsure of what was happening but as I kept observing him, Junior was giving off all the same signals that Canuck does when he wants to play keep-away. So, I thought I'd give it a try. As it turns out, Junior indeed wanted to play Keep-away. Today was the first time Junior initiated Keep-away with me!!! We ended up playing for a little while before I snapped some photos. The first photo though is Junior first showing up and having that telltale look of..."Let's play keep-away!" There you have it! Junior has shocked me. :-)

As well, the bottle is now in my house. I had to keep it. A valued keepsake. :-)

Continued in Post 4. Coming soon. :-)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 07:56 pm

This video is the 4th post of this incredible series of events that took place today. As I mentioned in Post 3, Junior has initiated his first game of Keep-away with me. When we first started, I was playing Keep-away with Junior after taking the first photo to show he was initiating Keep-away. We played for a while, then I pulled out the camera to take more shots. After I took some photos I wanted to take some video of the experience. Just as I started filming though, Junior lost hold of the bottle but went to the ground and quickly retrieved it. As you can see from the video he was being very playful and even dropping it on purpose several times to try and coax me into trying to grab it. I've seen Canuck exhibit these same behaviors when trying to get me to play. Today was absolutely incredible and I can't wait to see what Junior has in store for me next time. So there you have it! Junior is definitely one of the family. I'm glad I was able to share it all, with all of you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 08:53 pm
So, are you going to show us the video or not?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 08:55 pm
@roger,
I am trying to figure out how. May need to settle for a Facebook link
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 08:58 pm
https://www.facebook.com/thecrowandI/videos/363873414428031/
try this
roger

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 09:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks! Now, I wonder how you two became friends, and how the heck to you tell them apart - besides the band?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 09:26 pm
@roger,
They aren't my friends. The birds are in Canada. Canuck was voted ambassador or something to a place up there last year.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 09:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Here is his facebook page
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 09:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 10:07 pm
I have blue jays in my back yard.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2019 07:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
https://imgur.com/hclaXuN.jpg

Audubon Photography Awards Release The Best Entries Of Birds Chowing Down And They're Hilarious
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 01:48 pm
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 01:21 pm
Another chicken fan:

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 11:44 am

Traces of Texas

The Arcane Texas Fact of the Day:

Big Bend National Park in west Texas has more species of birds than any other national park. More than 450 different kinds of birds have been spotted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2019 01:31 pm
Canuck and I
ยท
One of the most interesting things that I've seen while hanging out with Canuck involves a single feather that caused the neighborhood Crows a lot of stress today.

I've seen the same behavior occur when Crows come across a dead Crow. There is just a frenzy of scolding and angry Caws. By the time two or more have joined in, the whole neighborhood population is up in arms about their fallen comrade. But today was different.

It was early this morning. I was taking a look at what progress Canuck and Cassiar had made with the nest, when I heard three Crows making those distinct noises I referenced above. I instantly thought, predator. I looked around and sure enough, two of the neighborhood cats were roaming around. But that wasn't it. The Crows weren't even looking at the cats. They were looking straight down from the tree they were in. By this time though the other Crows had joined the frenzy. That, and they were all looking down as well. I tried looking where they were looking but couldn't see anything. Especially something that would have them all riled up like they were. Finally one Crow left the safety of the tree and came down. This one Crow started freaking out even more upon getting to the ground. I thought they had all gone crazy. Here they were, all freaking out over something that appeared to not exist. Yet finally, all would be revealed. As strange as it was.

That one Crow kept inching closer and closer to again, something I couldn't see from my vantage point. My curiosity was piqued and then it happened. He or she picked up... a feather. A feather? One single feather? One single feather caused a near riot with the Crows? Apparently, because now they were going off even louder than before since it had been picked up. The Crow made it's way up to a branch with this feather and started to inspect it. The whole time the chorus of angry Caws continued. Not only from the other Crows but the same Caws coming from the very Crow inspecting it. All the Crows were focused on this feather and that was all they were concerned with.

However, I did notice some distinct noises missing from all of the Caws. That being Canuck and Cassiar. I was so busy watching this weirdness unfold that I didn't even notice the lack of vocal support from Canuck and Cassiar who were only a few trees away. I looked up and funny enough, and I should have expected it. They were still focused on building the nest. They weren't even the slightest bit interested in what was going on. I guess I was surprised because usually Canuck never turns down an opportunity to see what's going on. Not this time though. The nest is definitely too important.

I made my way to go grab a coffee and upon returning, the Crow riot over that single feather was still going on. This time though, the riot had moved down the block.

And Canuck and Cassiar? Yup, still building
0 Replies