Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 02:36 pm
@sozobe,
ummm, sure??
sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 02:54 pm
@Ceili,
Sorry, I know this is kind of obscure.

I like birds as decorative elements and I have for a long time.

I recently said this (the title) in a conversation about something I wanted to make that has a bird as a decorative element.

They've become cliche.

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 02:58 pm
@sozobe,
I can't watch the video. It's not available in Canada. Is this a tv show?
sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 02:59 pm
@Ceili,
Yep.

It's a satirical slash affectionate show about Portland hipsters.

This particular video/ skit is about how birds are beloved of hipsters. Put a bird on anything = artsy hipsters love it.
Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:02 pm
@sozobe,
Ok, get it now. I've always wanted an impressive rooster in the kitchen, however, mine is just too small to add flotsam. I didn't know it was a hipster thang, as I have aunts who collect bird stuff too. They are definitely not hip. lol
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:05 pm
My grandmother loved the little birdies . . . she used to collect small glass or crystal birds--but only the ones which were true to life.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:14 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Put a bird on anything = artsy hipsters love it.

That's satire? Sounds like a reality show to me. The impact of birds on art farts is such a cliche it's not even funny. I take it you see yourself as artsy-fartsy?
sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:24 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
. I take it you see yourself as artsy-fartsy?

Put it this way -- here's a photo I took about midway through the holiday gift-making season:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/IMG-20111213-00557.jpg

(Sewed the birdie in the middle, then the decoupaged votive on the far left has birdies from a circa 1940's coloring book I found somewhere a long time ago -- hand-poured organic soy-based whatever candles into the decoupaged votives before giving.)
Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:29 pm
@sozobe,
U-oh. Guil-ty!

(I can't be too gleeful at my current location. My mother selected the bushes in her garden according to the birds she wanted to attract into it. Live birds, that is.)
DrewDad

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:31 pm
@sozobe,
I think bird artwork has been in vogue ever since Audubon started drawing them.
sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:51 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

U-oh. Guil-ty!

Very.

And here's the iPod case I just made (same fabric as the birdie above). (Oh and I got the fabric at the tiny local independent fabric store.)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/birdieipod.jpg

It has fleece on the inside. The iPod stays in it even when tipped upside-down, it's cool.

Sigh, so guilty.

DrewDad, you're very right. There are trends within that though -- birds hovering in the background or very much front and center. And they've been super-ubiquitous in the past -- 5 years? (Twitter has a part in it.)
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:56 pm
@DrewDad,
I suspect you are right about that. Audubon's work was a radical departure from the previous work of ornithologists. This is from the Wikipedia biography:

Quote:
Audubon's influence on ornithology and natural history was far reaching. Nearly all later ornithological works were inspired by his artistry and high standards. Charles Darwin quoted Audubon three times in On the Origin of Species and also in later works. Despite some errors in field observations, he made a significant contribution to the understanding of bird anatomy and behavior through his field notes. Birds of America is still considered one of the greatest examples of book art. Audubon discovered 25 new species and 12 new subspecies. (emphasis added)
Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 04:01 pm
@sozobe,
That is artsy.

Now I have a confession to make. It's kind of embarrassing, so without further ado, here's the background image of my current Fedora Linux desktop:

http://regmedia.co.uk/2011/05/24/f15_gnomedefaultdesktop.jpg
DrewDad

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 04:57 pm
@sozobe,
I bet Portlandia ruins birds only if enough hipsters watch the show and then refuse to use birds ironically.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 05:03 pm
@Setanta,
Great artwork, alright. Boy was pretty good at posing and harvesting his subjects too - with a shotgun.
dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:51 am
@sozobe,
You appear to be very boidy woman.

Has SOZOBE ruined birds?

I'd just fuhgeddaboudit and do what you want to....doubtless they'll be out of fashion soon and you'll be producing high kitsch for a bit, then be ahead of the next bird craze....the avant garde....and then part of the bird craze, then kitsch....well, repeat as needed.

Enjoy your boids already.
dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:54 am
@Thomas,
Heh heh....you're off with da boids too.

I don't think I've bought a boidy thing since the Du(umlaut)rer owl print I bought as my very first art purchase.

Just gave it away a year ago as it didn't have a place in my decor.

Oh....WTF is Portlandia?
Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 01:10 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Oh....WTF is Portlandia?

A TV series that lovingly makes fun of the fine citizens of Portland, Oregon. You would like it. Try YouTubing it to get a flavor.
dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 01:28 am
@Thomas,
Will I get the satire? I don't know Portland from Mars.