Robins

mp8

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:38 pm
How do robins know when worms are in the ground near it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,390 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:29 am
I don't understand that thrush of your question. Robins, like just about every other animal, go looking for their food. Sometimes they gind it, sometimes they don't. I think you're mislead by the cartoon image of a bird pulling a worm out of the ground. I doubt that ever happens.
0 Replies

Strauss

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:38 am
Setanta wrote:
I think you're mislead by the cartoon image of a bird pulling a worm out of the ground. I doubt that ever happens.

Sorry, it happens a lot. At least on my neck of woods..

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02141/bird-worm-1_2141751i.jpg

It is said that the birds feel the vibrations of the ground when the worms move..
Miss L Toad

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:45 am
@Strauss,
What if the worm turns?
Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:48 am
@Strauss,
I'll take your word for it. When it rains heavily enough, the worms coue out of the ground, and the birds feast. Those are the only occasions on which i've seen the birdies chowing down on worms.
0 Replies

Strauss

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:50 am
@Miss L Toad,
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs10/i/2006/158/d/d/Revenge_of_the_Worms_by_egoodwinart.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 07:47 pm
@mp8,
mp8 wrote:

How do robins know when worms are in the ground near it?
They see them.

Robins don't typically go after worms that are under the soil. Robins are not diggers.

But worms don't actually spend all their time below ground. They eat rotting vegetation which is most plentiful right at the surface of the soil and underneath the thatch from the grass. Sharp-eyed Robins can see the worms moving around underneath the thatch, and they snag them.

Earthworms are actually very interesting creatures. They are not native to North America but were brought here from Europe a few hundred years ago.
0 Replies