Pensions of U.S. Federal Employees

gollum

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 11:22 am
Is there a place (e.g., website) to look up the pension being paid to each federal employee?

Ragman

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 11:36 am
@gollum,
no. that'd be a huge invasion of privacy.
gollum

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 11:48 am
@Ragman,
Ragman-

Thank you.

If such a public database does not exist, then I must live without it.

However, though I admit it does reduce the privacy of any person whose pension information is opened to the public, I believe it can legally be opened for public viewing.

I have on many occasions accessed the database for pension (and salary) information on individual New York State employees. I don't see why a similar database could not be made available on federal employees.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 12:42 pm
@gollum,
As soon as I figure out who you are I'll send a FOIA to the IRS to see how much you make.

Of course, I wouldn't do that, why in God's name do you think you're entitled to know what a person's pension is, do you want to send them extra money. Didn't anybody ever tell you to mind your own business????
gollum

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 12:57 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag-

Thank you.

If I am a federal employee, then you can send the FOIA request to the particular federal government department that employs me. I believe that that department would then be required by FOIA to furnish the information to you, while the IRS would not be permitted to.

The reason that I think that I am entitled to know what a government employee's pension is, is that such information is a matter of public record as outlined in the New York State Freedom of Information Law and I think the freedom of information laws of the other States and that of the federal government.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 01:08 pm
@gollum,
I don't really care to invade your privacy, but you have too much time on your hands if you think you are entitled to acquire pension information on State or Federal Employees. Are you also interested in VA medical benefits, maybe concerned wounded vets are sucking up too many tax dollars? You are fiddling around in peoples personal information, you are a busy body and nosey. Shame on you.

The Federal Government publishes the GS chart detailing what employees earn at various grades in all areas of the country, its online. You might be able to acquire information about compensation for elected officials, but federal employees have the same right to privacy as line workers at General Motors.
gollum

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 01:19 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag-

Thank you.

You are entitled to your opinion that that is how it should be. Several trade unions representing New York State employees went to court to prevent State employee salary & pension information from becoming public information. The unions lost. At least for now, the information is public.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 10:33 pm
@gollum,
Well, the Chinese have already hacked the OPM and have collected who knows what out of Federal Employee's records. If your wife or children have been to detox, the Chinese know. Are you OK with that, I'm not. Im not ok with knowing we're all military personnel live or are deployed, I don't want them knowing where the DOD employes live either. There's another good reason to quell your curiosity about others, once you get your hands on the personal papers of Federal Employees, what are you going to do with them. Will you sign a confidentially agreement because you only need to know to determine how much to envy old co-workers. Or more likely, you want it so you can snicker or be outraged at other people retirement benefits and just impress
other gov employees with your successful intrusions into other's private affairs.

Federal workers don't all receive the same pension, it's calculated by the entire amount of federal service (military counts), so it's years served and top three earning years and regional pay allowances.

Here's an example, building maintenance learned it was more economical to systematically replace the overhead fluorescent bulbs, room by room, floor by floor, rather than respond only when a light started to flicker, go dead, or expload. So didn't get notice, far in advance, and when they did come, we had to turn off the computers turn over or conceal paper on our desk until the workmen were finished,

It wasn't done because we suspected they might be spy's, they simply were not read in to the clearances, and really didn't need it. So these men worked 8 + hours getting up and down latter, taking out the existing bulbs and replacing them with new bulbs.the maintenance people were absolutely necessary, but on one occasion, I heard one worker remark to anther, will you look at that (he was looking at a big white board wher we would announce 'events', birthdays, newborns, marriages and promotions. We had recently promoted a very talented computer programmer, who was also fluent in Russian, understood overhead and was very promining as an analyst, I think we promoted him to an 11. He was hired as a 9 because he has an advanced degree and was performing brilliantly, well the bulb replacer man became irate, he loudly announce to his partner. "would you look at that, I've been waiting for my 5 or 6 and some office jackass was promoted to 11".

Now I know the bulb guy worked every day, he was not a slacker, worked hard and was probably very happy to go home at night after his 8+ hours. The building couldn't function with those maintenance guys. But our analyst could change like bulbs, but the bulb gut couldn't even conceive of what our analysts did. Not because they were stupid, or couldn't be trained, they saw the office people as desk jockeys and thought it was unfair,

It wasn't, everybody in private and government jobs are supposed to be compensated for their skills and target knowledge. Governors, Presidents and other elected official have huge responsibilities, but even failed CEO' pay dwarfs that of the person we like to think of as the leader of the free world

So, once again, what possible reason would you need to know what another federal employees pension is? Has it occurred to you they may have contributed much more money into their pension plans than the bare minimum? They may have sacrificed monthly extra cash and saved It for investment into retirement or in another vehicle. They may have paid off their mortgages, avoided ridiculous credit rates by not maxing out credit cards.

Get your own house in order and check in with human resources, they will help you manage your money so someday a younger jealous, slacker will wonder what your get on a monthly basis.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 10:36 pm
@gollum,
What is your monthly income?
roger

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 11:10 pm
@ehBeth,
NOW, THAT'S GETTING PERSONAL!!
glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:40 am
@roger,
Golly doesn't think so, I want to know what his shoe size is. Which govt agency should I contact.
gollum

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 02:16 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag, ehBeth, and roger-

Thank you all.

I am not OK with the Chinese knowing about (hypothetically) my wife/children's detox. I blame the management of OPM for not instituting two-step authentication and other low-cost highly-effective techniques to vastly reduce the risk of such intrusions. I don't want the location of each DOD employee made public. I am not nor was I ever a federal employee and I do not wish to snicker or be outraged or impress anyone. I do not wish to sign a confidentiality agreement, rather I wish for government employee salaries to be public information (I believe that substantially it already is). I don't wish to envy anyone.

I know that all workers do not receive the same pensions. If I thought they did all receive the same pensions, then I would not have used the able2know website to enable me to search the database.

I agree with your view that the statement by the cited bulb replacement man was inappropriate.

I do not need to know what "another" federal employee's pension is (and he/she is not "another" because I am not and never was a federal employee). Rather as best I understand it, pursuant to the FOIA, that it is my right to request and receive (subject to certain limitations) the salary information of substantially any federal employee (there may be exceptions). As far as I know, the government is not generally required to post this information on the Internet but in many cases it does.

It has occurred to me that various federal employees may have contributed more than the bare minimum to their pensions. I am not motivated by jealousy.

In fact, it is not limited to salary information but include government contracts and other documents held by the government (subject to certain limitations).

I am motivated by the desire of free people to query a government of by and for the people for information on its expenditure of funds on my behalf. I believe that numerous scandals have been exposed through the exercise of this right.

My house is in order and I manage my own money.

My monthly income is more than enough for my needs. I give to charity.

My shoe sizes are 9 and 11.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 02:28 pm
@gollum,
Actually, you have the right to know what the government spends on projects, elected officials and etc. you do not get to get a particular individuals pay compensation. Be careful who you stalk, it is a federal offense to harass or harm a federal employee because of their employment.

The next time you stick your foot in your mouth, I recommend the size 9.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 02:41 pm
@glitterbag,
I almost missed this, federal pensions are normally enough to meet people's needs and federal employees active and retire contribute generously to charity. But you will need someone to provide you their tax returns in order to determine how generous a particular retired federal employee gives to charity.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 02:58 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag-

I also have a right, pursuant to FOIA to query and receive the salary information of (subject to certain limits) any federal government employee.

I do not stalk, harass, or harm any federal employee because of his/her employment or for any other reason.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:33 pm
@gollum,
To exercise this right of yours, wouldn't it be more effective to make your inquiry to a specific state or federal agency rather than an anonymous internet forum that is not privy to such info?
gollum

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet-

Thank you.

To make a FOIA or other request I would address it to the relevant State or Federal agency.

I think that there is a website that contains the salary information of (substantially) all federal employees and I thought it a proper request to make to able2know.net.

I am not sure what federal agency for me to make inquiry concerning such a website.

I happen to be a New York State citizen. The State of New York refused to make public its employees' salary information. In response, a private corporation sued the State and won. The private organization now maintains State employee salary information on its website.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 06:36 pm
@gollum,
State employees salaries will be released to residents of the same State. However, if you think New York State law gives you the right to access to names or salaries of Federal Employees, think again. If you inquire about a federal employee working at the U.N., State Department, Secret Service, or any of the 19 various intelligence agencies, civilians working for the military or our Military personnel, put a kettle on and wait for your visit from those nice FBI agents.

I'm not sure if you watch the news, but I'm assuming you've heard about the murder of military in Tennessee. First the pig-freeper fired on the people in a recruitment center, luckily the Marines shouted to everyone to hit the floor, but the demented nihilist managed to travel to a Military base and killed 5 DOD service personnel.

In fact, why don't you call the OPM and suggest they provide public access to American Citizens who work for the Federal Government. I can't imagine how your right to invade others privacy could possibly interfere with the safeguarding of the welfare of other Americans.

Are you even a citizen of the US???? You claim to be a resident of New York? You didn't notice what happened on 9/11?

Whatever you're smoking, I don't want any.

gollum

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 07:17 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag-

New York employees' salaries are available to any person in the world with Internet access.

New York State law does not give me the right to access the names or salaries of Federal Employees. A Federal law titled the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) grants that right.

If I inquire about a federal employee working at the U.N., State Department, Secret Service, or any of the 19 various intelligence agencies, civilians working for the military or our Military personnel, I believe that the request will be granted. There may be some exceptions (e.g., the CIA).

I do read the news and I read about the murder of military personnel in Tennessee. I am extremely unhappy about those murders and I pray that if any living person bears responsibility that he/she is brought to justice. I am not aware of any reasonable basis to think that FOIA played a part in enabling the murders.

I am a citizen of the U.S. and of New York State. I did notice what happened on 9/11 and in fact saw part of it from the window in the office where I worked. I was extremely sickened by it.

I don't smoke.

glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 07:48 pm
@gollum,
Gollum, I can't think of any reason why you, I or anyone else should be able to casually troll thru people's personal business. Maybe you should call the Joint Chiefs and see if you can sit in on their next meeting. What about a FOIA request to see who works undercover for the police departments around the country, how could that possibly be a problem.

You are either pulling my leg, or incredibly dense. Let me guess, you're a naturalized citizen. So we're my grandparents, Roosevelt didn't invite them to his meetings with Churchill.

I lost friends at the Pentagon, all federal office personnel were sent home, many of us believed we were being invaded, I live near the Navel Academy and DC, I knew we would be targeted if there was a nuclear attack. I can't believe you can pretend you are just exercising your rights as an American citizen.

I'm done, do whatever you want, don't be surprised if you are disappointed.