My neighbors...

Pitter

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:02 pm
...just cut down a perfectly healthy Calliadra pittieri, a tree in the mimosa family that was growing in front of my window. It produced bright red flowers very popular with hummingbirds. When I asked why in the hell they said it attracted dangerous bats. They have two kids who will now presumably be less subject to bat bites (I assume biting was the anticipated danger). Chao to the shade and chao to my hummingbirds. What kind of relationship is that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,787 • Replies: 10
No top replies

celticclover

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:33 pm
The dirty rotten nature haters....my kids would love it if bats lived outside in the trees. (We live in a country where we only have batman and bats in zoo's.)
How could they do this to you?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 09:53 pm
humm...I think Id pass along a whole bunch of literature on insects for them, more of the little critters when bats aint around, more critters, more bites
Which bats do they feel threatened by anyway?
Sad to hear..wish you better luck in the future relationships with the neighbors, I know it can be bad.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 07:11 am
That's a darn good point. The worst problem I have in this house is mosquitos. In fact I have to sleep under a mosquito net to get any rest. I don't know which bat specie lives here in the city. I see them infrequently. Up in a mountain village where a friend lives some kind of big fruit bats with eighteen inch wingspans come swooping through the town square every evening. My neighber is Cuban, probobly a city guy from Havana.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 07:45 am
I'd be in a mood to chop down an ignorant neighbor. Here at Timberland, we have "Bat Boxes" attached to the eaves of the house and all the outbuildings. In summer, mosquitos are a staple of the bats' diet. We of course, are staples to the mosquitos. I see far more benefit in well fed bats than well fed mosquitos.

Welcome to A2K, Pitter.

timber
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 08:37 am
Pitter- I can understand your annoyance that your neighbor cut down a perfectly fine tree. Bottom line though, it was HIS tree, (it was HIS tree, wasn't it?) and he was entitled to do with it what he pleased!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 12:10 pm
Bat Boxes..great and wonderful thing timber! I agree with the whole mosquito/bat thing.

Yes, regarding the neighbor and his/her tree..they do have a right, as well as now perhaps there is an area of land maybe you can plant a tree that is yours to replace what has been lost and have your own land/tree/lovely things associated with that?
Many times we are upset with our neighbors doings without first considering what we can do on our own turf to make up for that.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 03:36 pm
Bat boxes are what the poor bats are going to need now. Actually it wasn't the neighbors tree. We're both renters and anyway the tree was on the streetside of the sidewalk. I learned today (way too late) that cutting living trees in this barrio isn't even allowed (at least if an authority walks by). Well tell me what you think of this: since I can't enjoy my hummingbirds as they sip the necter from the red flowers anymore I'm thinking of laying out slabs of putrifying flesh on MY side of the patio so as to enjoy visits from Black Vultures. Of course I'll pick up some clothspins first.
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 07:33 am
Will your landlord allow you to plant another tree like the one that got cut down? Another option is to plant something else that attracts hummingbirds, but not bats. Why not plant a small hummingbird garden?
If you can't do that, how about potted plants that attract hummingbirds?
I don't know what to tell you about the lack of shade.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 02:25 pm
Im thinking the flesh is a bad idea, but, thats just me Smile

Or hummingbird feeders even....rental property, well, isnt a permanent place for most so a garden I think might be out.
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 05:24 pm
A garden may be out, but there's nothing wrong with potted plants and hanging plants that attract hummingbirds. You're better off with those along with a hummingbird feeder, to get the best chance of seeing any hummingbirds. You can take potted plants and hanging plants with you when you move.
0 Replies