Judendeutsch

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:57 am
Does anyone have more information concerning Judendeutsch? This language was spoken by German Jews (mostly) and was NOT equal to Yiddish. It has been described as Hebrew words with German endings. I'm asking this because I just read about the life of Moses Mendelssohn, the German Jew that sort of started the emancipation of Jews in Germany in the 18th century. He spoke Judendeutsch. What I understand is that the language died out when the German Jews emancipated and started to use German.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,044 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Thok

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:59 pm
I don´t think that is a language. It´s probably a idiom of the jewish languages with german words.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 01:18 pm
I don't know about judendeutsch. But there was a segment on American public radio recently about Ladino, a Spanish/Jewish language that is rapidly dying out.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 05:20 pm
Thok wrote:
I don´t think that is a language. It's probably a idiom of the jewish languages with german words.

No it is - or better - was a real language, although some sources say it is a Yiddish dialect.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 12:09 am
example for Yiddish :

"Was machst du ? " = Hello

"Sei gesund" = Goodbye
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 12:47 am
Well, 'Judendeutsch' is indeed thought to be partof/dialect of Jiddidh.

See:
- Wolf, Siegmund A.: Jiddisches Wörterbuch; Wortschatz des deutschen Grundbestandes der jiddischen (jüdischdeutschen) Sprache; 1962)
- this page
-
Quote:
[...] "Judendeutsch", das dem Hochdeutschen so fremd und zugleich so verwandt ist. Celan hatte dafür seine Gründe. "Jiddisch", das war die Alltagssprache vieler, vor allem der osteuropäischen Juden, mit deren Vernichtung auch diese Sprache ausgelöscht werden sollte. Es war das Deutsch der Opfer, frei von jeglicher Schuld, ohne falsche Töne und missbrauchte Wörter, Stigma und zugleich Zeugnis einer Liebe zur deutschen Sprache, der Sprache der Mörder.
Source
[Judendeutsch

The language of the ghetto was not Yiddish (which includes many Slavic words),
as is often thought, but Judendeutsch, a mixture of Hebrew and Frankfurt
dialect that was written from right to left in Hebrew letters. German suffixes
were added to Hebrew verbs to produce the Judendeutsch infinitive. Among
non-Jews, Judendeutsch was derided as impudent "mauscheln" (whining). And yet
according to Heine, Mauscheln was "nothing but the proper language of
Frankfurt and is spoken with equal excellence by the circumcised as well as by
the non-circumcised population there"

Even today, in some villages in the south of Germany the population speaks
such dialects.

Iris Weiss
Jewish Life in Germany and Central Europe
www.hagalil.com/enter.htm
]

This is a page in 'Judendeutsch': http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/50000/images/_50997_rothschild3150.jpg from The making of a dynasty: the Rothschilds [BBC]

Besiede the Frankfurt Judendeutsch, there obviously were different other local dialects, like the often noten 'Prague Judendeutsch'.

People in my hometown spoke 'Paderborn/Westphalian Judendeutsch', as Else Lasker-Schüler writes in various letters ['Arthur Hieronimus und seine Väter' deals about her grandfather and her family in my hometown.]
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 03:21 pm
Yes you are right Walter. I think I read it wrong. Quoting from The Pity of It All. A History of Jews in Germany, 1743 - 1933 (by Amos Elon):

When Mendellsohn arrived [in Berlin] he only spoke Hebrew and Judendeutsch. The latter one was a medieval German dialect, mixed with Hebrew: German endings were put behind Hebrew verbs. In contrary with the Eastern-European Yiddish, a mixture of German, Hebrew and Slavic words, Judendeutsch had such a small and old-fashioned vocabulary that it could only be used for small conversations. The rare times it was used as a written language, it was spelled in Hebrew writing and written from the right to the left. Gentiles [non-Jews] called it a backward language, comprised out of many languages, a sort of mauscheln, or Yiddish gibberish; according to Goethe 'the language had an unpleasant ring'.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 03:47 pm
Fascinating! Most of my elders spoke Yiddish, but this is the first I've heard of Judendeutsch.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 03:50 pm
The Jewish world is fascinating!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 03:58 pm
I've found some really good explanations ans examples in the "Meyers Konversationslexikon" from 1888 <click> at about in the middle of tha page (and no, I'm not going to translate that.) [size=7](Now)[/size]
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:08 am
Thanks Walter! Luckily my Deutsch is good enough to understand the website Cool
0 Replies

eglwyswas

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 12:16 pm
@Rick d Israeli,
If you read "A Short History Of The Jews" by Michael Brenner the subject of Judendeutsch appears in chapter 12, page 176, It is quite interesting as to how the language AND the culture seemed different due to the dialect which affected names of rites and traditions as well as names of food.
0 Replies