HELPPPPPP! NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR A WEDDING PARTY "GAME"!!!!!

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:06 am
Edit: Moderator: Moved from General to Relationships & Marriage

hi,

i am totally new to this site and just happened upon it. my boyfriend is the best man for a wedding and is responsible for the entertainment. he asked for my help but i feel ill equipped. so i'm coming to you because i'm sure there are plenty of clever people out there in cyberland.

anyway, the game that we had in mind involves a survey. we were going to send everyone a survey of what they think best characterizes the groom and the bride. we were then going to present the results of the survey on a slideshow and compare it to what the groom and bride think of themselves. the couple is a funny one and people should enjoy the presentation.

to let you know a little about the groom, he's wild about eddie mitchel (a french singer) and stands 6'5" tall. the bride is less than 5' tall and is as spicey as anything. they both have a healthy sense of self esteem and enjoy being the center of attention. could any of you think of what questions to ask on the survey?

thanks in advance,
atlantic Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 606 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:54 am
So, a PowerPoint presentation at a wedding? Hmmm.

Will this be a part of the toast or something else? 'Cause a traditional wedding tends to be a very busy affair and can go more or less in this order:
greeting
ceremony
cocktails or hors d'ouevres (depends on the time of day)
introduce the bride & groom as husband & wife
first dance if they're doing that
possibly a toast
more dancing, first course is served (melon, salad, that kind of thing)
sit-down meal or buffet meal
more dancing, bride and groom mingle among guests, any special dances usually go here although they can go before (e. g. the bride dances with her father, etc.)
toast by best man or the like if not done previously
more dancing
cake and the rest of dessert served
toss the bouquet and garter (can be done either before or after the cake)
goodbyes

And all of that takes perhaps 5 or 6 hours but it depends on how quickly the catering service (or buffet line) moves and if some extraneous items (like a second toast) are removed.

It doesn't mean you can't do a game but it'll have to be shoehorned in somehow. At a fairly large wedding, the bride and groom will very likely be doing all they can to mingle among their guests. A guest list of 150 people spread over a 5 hour (300 minutes) period means 2 minutes per guest, and that means that that's all the bride and groom do - they don't dance, eat or even have time to visit the bathroom. Shocked

One thing you can do is gather the information and put it into book form for them. Then you can quickly introduce the concept but need not go over all of the results. Instead, you can make a big flourish of presenting the book to them and then they can read it over at their leisure.
0 Replies

atlantic

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:00 pm
this is a wedding in france
things work differently in france. the party is far more layed back and it's not as rigid or formalistic. i know, i know, i'm american too. i'm results oriented and proactive. but the french are different. i've already been to 2 weddings in france and they are rather layed back and drawn out. a wedding is often drawn out over a few days and the ceremony and reception alone can be more than 12 hours. also, the weddings in france tend to be smaller. there will be 20 people there. that's an 18 fold increase (over a typical american wedding) in time the bride and groom spend with each guest. but considering that this will be a multiday affair, the bride and groom will be able to spend more than an hour with each guest. to fill the time, we thought we would do a slideshow. in the previous french weddings i've attended there was a live show, a slide show, and all the other stuff that we have in american weddings. life is definitely far more laid back in france and tongue in cheek humor is appreciated here.

given this, can anyone recommend some questions for the survey?

thanks,
atlantic
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:12 pm
Well, surveys (you can tell I'm a data person) should be tailored so that you can get multiple hits for at least some of the responses. And, it's easiest if you give multiple choice for people, otherwise you'll keep getting 18 different answers, and it might be a bit dull or at least it'll take a lot longer. Also, that makes it more anonymous if that's what people want. They might not want it to be Uncle Steve said "__", Cousin Mary said "__". You can avoid that if you can say Six people said "__".

So, a question could be something like -
When you first met the groom you thought -
a) He's cute
b) I wonder if he plays basketball
c) He needs to get a haircut
d) He should stop bathing in cologne
e) fill in the blank ___

That way, you can get a few people to say the same thing but it leaves room for something different which may be funnier.

When you first met the bride, you thought -
a) how'd she end up with the groom?
b) does she have a sister?
c) who does her nails?
d) she might need a box to stand on
e) fill in the blank ___

When you first learned that bride and groom were engaged, you thought -
a) great, now she'll stop asking me to fix her up with my brother
b) great, he needs someone to pick out his clothes
c) cool, a party!
d) I wonder if Eddie Mitchell is available
e) fill in the blank ___

That sort of thing. I still think a book idea is nice, it's a permanent remembrance and even if technology changes and suddenly they can no longer view the slides, they can always look at a book.

Anyway, obviously I don't know them, I'm just picking these ideas out of the little you've mentioned above.
0 Replies

atlantic

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:54 am
thank you so much
thanks, your input really helps. i think the book idea is a fantastic idea.
0 Replies