izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 12:46 pm
Anything from the 1970s described as a British Sex Comedy.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 12:53 pm
Waterworld starring what's-his-name. Kevin Costner.
0 Replies

EmmaPie

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2022 05:55 pm
@extra medium,
Vanilla Sky...... I'm willing to throw fists to defend my position xD
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2022 07:09 pm
@EmmaPie,
Gotta admit I hated it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 08:56 am
The ONLY movie I have ever walked out on...was A Streetcar Named Desire.

I've never bothered to watch it since walking out on it...and really do not want to do so.

For the young me...it sucked like a black hole.
Mame

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 09:32 am
@Frank Apisa,
I've never cared for The Wizard of Oz.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 09:41 am
Many of the most popular movies are not on my like list. Some of the most panned films are on my like or love list.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 09:43 am
@edgarblythe,
I could never see why Vertigo featured in so many top film lists.

I thought it was way too long, plodding and boring.
Mame

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 09:44 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I thought it was way too long, plodding and boring.

That's exactly what I thought of Waterworld.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 09:50 am
@Mame,
I saw the first five minutes and turned over.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 10:25 am
@izzythepush,
I saw Vertigo in a theater and was captivated. A few years later when it appeared on TV it was as you say, boring. I turned it off. So I don't know whether to believe it's good or not.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 10:27 am
@edgarblythe,
I do like Hitchcock normally, but this one didn't do it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 10:28 am
@Mame,
Worst themepark ever.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 10:39 am
@izzythepush,
I used to believe Hitchcock was greater than he actually was. I only like a little of his stuff anymore.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 10:45 am
@edgarblythe,
When I was a kid my parents went on and on about The Trouble With Harry. They said it was so good they sat through it twice, but the critics panned it so he never did anymore comedies.

When I saw it I was in agreement with the critics. It wasn't a bad film, but it wasn't the laugh a minute comedy fest my parents made it out to be.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 10:53 am
@izzythepush,
That reminds me of the time some friends took me to see Some Like it Hot with Jack Lemon and Marilyn Monroe. They laughed all the way through it and I was just glad when it was over.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 11:09 am
@edgarblythe,
I'm reading a book by Paul Auster at the moment.

One film that gets a lot of mention is The Best Days Of Our Lives.

At one point the actor Steve Cochrane is mentioned. He was in the film but what I didn't know was his death.

In 1965 he too three young women on a yacht with him, the youngest was fourteen, the oldest twenty-one. Supposedly he was looking for places to set up a new theatre group.

He died of a lung condition, the women knew nothing about sailing so the yacht drifted for ten days with a decomposing body on board before finding land.

Best Days Of Our Lives indeed.

(Auster made that joke, I'm just repeating it.)
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 02:17 pm
Any Tarantino movie. They're well done, but the negative images stick with you forever like a bad tasting medicine you took as a kid. You wish you'd never seen the movie, but it's too late.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 03:04 pm
@coluber2001,
Those movies are revolting to me.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2022 08:47 pm
@coluber2001,
I used to think that Tarantino was an incredibly talented artist. I think maybe my age and some combination of Covid and isolation and creeping social malaise has really changed what I can tolerate. I enjoy the first 20-30 minutes of Django now, but I cannot watch the DiCaprio / Sam L parts. Pulp Fiction is the only other Tarantino I can watch.

For about a year during Covid, I had serious insomnia. The only thing that helped me sleep was turning on G-type comedians. I seem to need to avoid sad or cruel or violent images. A *distinct* departure from my former movie preferences.

I’m sleeping like a baby since I quit teaching. Sleeping is now my favorite hobby.