Smoke signals

Equus

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:45 am
Old Westerns frequently refer to native Americans communicating over long distance using smoke signals. Is this a myth or did n.a.'s really have such a method of communication? If so, how expressive was it? Any web links?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,080 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:06 pm
Equus, I did a quick search and came up with some great sites, not one of which answers your question, however. About the only thing that I located was the fact that American Indians used smoke signals to warn of enemy tribes in the vicinity. As far as long distance communication, I suspect that is a myth, or at best a legend.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:40 pm
I recall hearing that a different number of smokes (from different fires) carried different meanings. To me, that implied a lack of nuance.
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 04:24 am
Yes, Roger, if the smoke signal is dark grey - it means danger. And if it smells like chicken - it means dinner's ready.

But no, to be a little more serious - as far as i know smoke signals are used to announce some coming danger. I found also this linkSmoke Signals, but i doubt you could take it seriously.
The more trusted source of Wikipedia says this:
Smoke signals is an early form of the optical telegraph, developed by the native North Americans and Chinese (as in the towers of the Great Wall.) By covering an open fire with a blanket, and suddenly removing it for a short time, a puff of smoke is generated. With some training, the sizes, shapes of, and intervals between these puffs can be controlled in a way that can be observed from a long distance, and used to carry information.

Apparent to anyone within its visual range, the smoke signal is not a standardized code that can be easily translated. Like other forms of communication, the signals are often of a predetermined pattern discerned by sender and receiver. Still, the smoke signal can abide by other universal patterns of communication. For example, as in other distress calls, a pattern of three would indicate a call for help.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:49 am
Thanks, Maggie, and welcome aboard.
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:51 am
Thank you too:)
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 09:31 am
Thanks Maggie