Dammed if you do dammed if you don’t

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:28 am
I was asked to move to a new group that is to form soon. Since I currently have worked on a client that will be a part of this group since its start last year from soup to nuts I do know this product better than anyone else, which from a company perspective makes. This will not be a step down, but lateral move.

My concerns - since I started at this company I have been asked to move several times because of my diverse knowledge. In all cases, it was in the best interest of the group, but did not always end up in my best interest. Promises or "increased opportunities" were told to me in the past, but I have yet to see any reward personally in these moves. So I am skeptical. Also by moving, I have increased stress - this particular client recently has been extremely difficult of late - possibly changed hours, come in later and work later (which I work better in the morning and ruins time at night with my kids), daily work (I typically prefer project oriented/longer term deadlines), and the need to learn lots of new things.

In my current job, I know it well, inside and out. I work well with my group and have a great relationship with my main client. I have the capability of planning my workload as such that I can bring work home rather than stay late or come in on the weekend which works great for my family life.

Overall I see no personal benefit to move onto this group, other than perhaps increasing my knowledge in area that is up and coming - it would make me more marketable elsewhere. There has been no mention of increased money or a promotion. As I would have all these increased stress and the risk of being at the bottom again, I feel that I do not want to make this move, unless of course I would be compensated - ideally with money and a promotion.

What is your suggested as the best way to deal with this situation without appearing to not be a teamplayer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 763 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:01 am
Ooh. Well, as you know, employers' eyes tend to glaze over unless you're telling them what you can do for them or how something will help them or at least not hurt them.

So, I think you can approach it with words like: "In my current job, I know it well, inside and out. I work well with my group and have a great relationship with my main client." Since you would have to learn a lot of new things, it stands to reason that, even though you know this client better than anyone else, there just isn't as much benefit to the client or the company if you move over. And, could you be available to consult with this other group while staying where you are?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:19 am
Of course I would be available to consult. I have done this in the past so there is no question on that. I didn't think about talking about it like you said. One of the things that has happened in the past is a high level person gets something in their head and they ask you to volunteer and say you have a choice, but you really don't.
0 Replies