HERE'S TO YOU, OLD FRIENDS . . .

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:21 am
Here's to you, Andy, and Cav Fancier, and Kevin (Timberland), and to all the other old friends we've lost . . .

Please add those whom i am forgetting right now . . . old age is hell . . .

George

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:29 am
Noddy
JoanneDorel
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:37 am
@George,
Dys
and spendi .
We are a little less each time.

But we did benefit from the time they all gave us.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:50 am
@Setanta,
Dutchy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:51 am
Yeah, with Dutchy, it felt as though we were with him right to the end.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:04 am
I think Au1929 may be gone now, to0--he hasn't posted in more than five years. I don't think we ever knew anything about his family, or where he lived . . .
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:08 am
@Setanta,

NYC, if not mistaken...

Lightwizard
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:15 am
Do we know for sure that spendius is dead?
There was considerable speculation about OmSigDavid as well.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:40 am
All of them are gone ? I had no idea about Spendi and the others...at my age we tend to think people just quit posting or showing up for some reason, which is stupid I reckon as many around are getting old...
May they all rest in peace now !
jespah

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:54 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Most, but not all, are confirmed. But I'm still not sure about OmSig or spendi. With OSD, my impression is that it was a kind of 'stop the social media world, I wanna get off'. I could be wrong, but he and I had been FB pals, and now we aren't. Unless some overzealous surviving friend (I don't think he had any family) deleted all of the friends on his account, then it doesn't make any sense. I also have enough information on him to be able to search logically for an obit for him. I can tell he was working as late as 2007.

Here's a free obituary finder, FYI - http://www.legacy.com/ns/obitfinder/obituary-search.aspx?landing=1
Note that that's only for what's published, and earlier deaths tended to not be published (who's going to scan in about 200 years' worth of death records?). Hence I couldn't find my grandfather, who died in 1973, IIRC, or my FIL, who passed on less than 5 years ago. Hence, caveat emptor, but it is a place to check.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:56 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Spendi is a bit speculative in my opinion. But the others, yes ... adding two Brits, I forgot the name, one from London, and the other from more north ...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 07:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Wasn't Old and New British?

I've now lost track of the easy way to look up someone by username - it probably starts with http://able2know.org/.. something something
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 08:02 am
@jespah,
Thanks for that free link, Jes. There are people I can now look up using that, in regular life or the a2k past.

one I don't need to look up -
PaolaL was one of my favorite abuzz and a2k people, though she didn't post here that much, she did a lot in abuzz. When Diane and I met her in NYC she knew her cancer was terminal, and that was in 2003. I still think of her sometimes, such a lively mind she had. She was even lively and beautiful on the couple of days we met up with her.

A person I also dearly miss, whose real name I know and who was a bunch older than I am, thus damn old, had the a2k username Tartarin; on abuzz, she was McBeans. Marvelous artist, very knowledgeable and bright, with politics some wouldn't like back then or now. Best of all, she was a corgi lover, still will be if she is still living.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 08:12 am
Always liked Lord Ellpus's posts. Okie, ican766 (or whatever the number was), possibly the worst mathematician a2k ever had, on the curmudgeon side.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 08:15 am
@MontereyJack,
Er, Lord Ellpus is here anew:
Lordyaswas is his new username.

http://able2know.org/user/lordyaswas/

Aha, and there above is the easy way to look up a username.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 08:16 am
Some who have left here deserve a mention, I think. They are alive but apparently not coming back.
msolga
littlek
endymion
gelisgesti
rockhead
reyn

And it looks increasingly like we may have lost cicerone imposter
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 08:23 am
@edgarblythe,
A person I like a lot, Pemerson, hasn't been around for some years. I'll have to check when she last posted. We did lose a bunch of people when the site went through it's 2008 changes. She could be on FB and I wouldn't know it, though I know her name.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 11:23 am
@Setanta,
I miss Jerry R. He, like cavfancier, was just too too young.

I learned a lot from Jerry at Abuzz and in early days here. He was simply marvellous.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 11:25 am
@ossobuco,
McBeans aka Tartarin blogs daily here:

http://prairieweather.typepad.com/big_blue_stem/

Fit as a fiddle, she is.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 11:48 am
@PDiddie,
Oh, that's great! Arf! Arf arf arf!

I had that link once, but lost it in a computer fade.
0 Replies