Miserable and lonely in a long term relationship

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:27 am
I'm in a long term relationship, 11 years, the last 7 of those married.

The only truely happy part of the relationship was the first few weeks.

It was my first relationship and I honestly had no idea what relationships were about and I ignored all the warning signs that would have sent more experienced people running. I had incredibly low self esteem and I truely liked her so I kept slogging on, hoping she would get better or I'd learn how to cope better.

Getting to know her was like peeling an onion. Each new layer reveiled new ghosts from her past. (She unlike myself had been in many relationships.)

Back in the first few weeks when I was truely happy and falling in love, I told her how I felt and she replied, "You like me now, but you won't in a few months".

More warning signs:

She would often start crying during sex. She said, "oh, I always do that, it's not you." Years later I found out that that's most likely due to her being molested as a child. But even after showing her books on the subject, to this day she says her trouble with sex has nothing to do with being molested.

She would describe in graphic detail sex acts with old boyfriends sometimes even DURING sex. When I complained, she replied, "Well OTHER guys can deal with it!" Looking back I should have replied, "Then go find another guy". But self-doubt set in and I began to wonder if I was being unreasonable. Again after reading and therapy I found out that it's definately not normal to chat about past experiences in graphic detail with your current partner.

Since it's an eleven year relationship, (and counting), I could go on for pages with stories that would turn some people's hair white, but I won't.

After breaking up with her because she refused to go to counseling with me, she finally agreed to seek some help. This allowed us to work through some of our issues, but core issues remain untouched primarily because they're too painful for her to deal with, so instead she sweeps them under the carpet.

We are VERY compatible in many ways and I really want to help her, so we struggled for years. There was a brief period where she was on medication and doing better. But one issue was, even though I've been very faithful to her, she said she never felt secure in the relationship.

So I made another mistake and got married, hoping that would allow her to relax.

Of course it didn't help matters any.

Then financial stress set in. We were caught in a layoff. That was in 1996. I got contract work, then a full time job. She hasn't had a full time job since and only contributes money sporadically through freelance work.

Then more complications. We had a child.

Still more complications. Our child has a mild form of autism that requires a lot of work. We're doing all we can for him. Special therapy, training, etc.

And, to get back to the beginning, only the first few weeks were 'bliss'. I quickly found that she does not like any form of human contact. Not hugging, kissing, or especially sex. She rarely even hugs our child. She was raised in a "hands-off" family and that combined with the abuse as a child, has resulted in her having a real aversion to touch.

We get along great...as friends and partners in raising our child. We see eye-to-eye on many issues and have similar outlooks on life.

But I'm incredibly lonely. The only human contact I get is when I hug my child. It's a great parent / child relationship, but I need human contact with an adult.

I can't leave the relationship for several reasons. First, our son is totally dependant on having two parents at this time in his life. We're both part of his therapy and we both need to be there on a daily basis for him.

Second, I simply can't afford a divorce. I've seen people go through divorces where kids are involved and I know the "side with money" always "wins". My family has no money. Her family has tons of money. Since she's been unable to hold a full-time job, and before I met her she was hopping from one job to another, I fear she'd end up moving away to live with her folks.

I can barely support ONE household on my income, much less two, and I don't want to become a "part-time-dad" to my son!

So I'm trapped.

Having an affair totally goes against my morals. Not out of any religious reasons, but just because it seems so "wrong". But I need to find SOME way to cope with the situation. Lately I've been trying to figure out just how to have an affair and that's making me even more miserable, but I don't know what else to do.

Honestly I feel my wife could go her whole life without having sex again, (and she even told me this on several occasions). But I can't.

I'm currently seeing a great psychologist and on anti-depression medications, but that can only go so far. That can't cure the loneliness or the hopelessness of the situation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,740 • Replies: 17
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:02 am
What about her getting counseling for just her and not marriage therapy?
You are incredibally strong to have stayed there during ALL of that. And to consider still staying when most other people would have bailed is just amazing.
I do have to say that you shouldnt feel bad about leaving the relationship. Granted, your son wont have a totally normal life, but him living in the tension of the two of you cant be fun for him.
Maybe you can look into what options there are for seperation? Not necessarily DIVORCE.. but being apart from each other may just help the two of you in more ways then one. You can maybe find a middle ground for the two of you to continue in your son's therapy and just live seperatly.
I am not sure if that is an option, but if it is , it may be worth your time looking into getting that started.
If you were to get divorced, how far away would she move from you? Why would you have to be a 'part time' daddy? If your son needs both of you and she isnt working much, when you divorce , why couldnt you be primary and have her be secondary in custody? Honestly.. as tacky as this may sound.. she can be the 'babysitter' during the time you are at work and then you can be home with him. ( i hope that wasnt horribly rude. )
And when it comes to divorce.. no.. the family with all the money does not win all the time. It is the first one to file that gets the favors. First come, First SERVE. Dont let finances intimidate you. If you think they will win because of that, and you really do want a divorce, start tapping your community for assistance. Financial, day cares, tutors etc... get them all lined up so that when you are in front of a judge you have
'your guns loaded'. You can cover every need the child has and since you will be in front of the judge with an ENTIRE plan.. it will show much more dedication on your part.
Im sorry i dont have any real advice to give you. your situation sounds just awful and Im sorry to hear that.
If you do choose to have an affair, make it worth your while and have it with someone you know and someone you can be with alot. Not just a one night stand. Those leave you feeling horrible and never get anything accomplished.
yeah.. im actually suggesting an affair. Simply because you are a human and humans need human contact. but look to an affair only if you are truly positive things wont change in your relationship.
there are going to be alot of people disagreeing with that.. but you do as you need to. just dont hurt your son in the process. It sounds like that is never your intention.
Good luck,
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:05 am
A separation is a good idea. You or she can move a block away, or even next door. It will feel better all around if the two of you are not in the same house. Your son's care will not be compromised if he has to be shuttled for even as long as an hour in each direction.

And shewolf is right re first come, first served. Now is the time to line up your ducks -
childcare
medical care for your child (including therapy)
housekeeping
finances
In short, everything. If you can work OT and make more money, do so; you'll need it but possibly not as much as you think. If you have as good a friends-type relationship with your wife, you can probably go through mediation as a part of the dissolution of your marriage.

Yes, dissolution. You cannot remain in this relationship and expect to maintain your sanity. Even if you feel you don't owe it to yourself, you certainly owe it to your son. He deserves to see both of you happy and fulfilled.

Finally, what is so awful about your wife and son moving in with her family? Are they geographically remote from you? If so, is it possible to find work there? Or is it that you have a poor relationship with your inlaws?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:24 am
I wouldn't suggest having an affair unless you are legally separated or divorced. It will alienate your wife and make a harmonious relationship as co-parents almost impossible.

My advice? Don't make a bad situation worse. Resolve one relationship before starting another.

Although I'm sure you're both good people, it is obvious that the two of you make a very poor married couple. But it sounds as though you would make excellent co-parents. Maybe it's time to keep the part of the relationship that works and ditch the rest.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:44 am
Oh man, briarwizard. Damn ...

No advice here, I'm afraid. I just dont know. But I wish you lots and lots of strength ... <nods>
0 Replies

SueZCue

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 12:01 pm
I'm so sorry, Briarwizard.

Please keep in mind that therapy is only effective if someone truly and honestly makes the decision themselves to go and seek some guidance and help. You can't make someone go to counseling. Well actually you can make them go, but if their heart's not in it and they're just there to appease you, it's a waste of time and money.

Therapy is a great idea for you, though. That way a professional who is completely removed from the situation can offer you advice and suggestions and you can then sort things through and start working on this.

It's not going to happen overnight, as I'm sure you know. There are so many facets to this problem that you can't expect a quick answer. It's going to take a lot of work, soul-searching and planning.

Try to hang in there and be persistent in discovering what exactly you need to do for your happiness and the wellbeing of your child.

*hugs*
0 Replies

briarwizard

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 01:12 pm
Quote:
Finally, what is so awful about your wife and son moving in with her family? Are they geographically remote from you? If so, is it possible to find work there? Or is it that you have a poor relationship with your inlaws?

Geographically remote, and problems with the in-Laws. I get along "ok" with my MIL now, but she's the last person I'd want rasing a child. She is like a self-esteem seeking missile. To this day she still continually criticizes her own children. The last time we went down there for a vacation she said my wife looked "like a bag lady".
Quote:
Please keep in mind that therapy is only effective if someone truly and honestly makes the decision themselves to go and seek some guidance and help. You can't make someone go to counseling. Well actually you can make them go, but if their heart's not in it and they're just there to appease you, it's a waste of time and money.

I know you're right. I've compared it to living with an alcoholic. Until they hit their own personal "rock bottom" no amount of outside help is allowed to get through.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I wasn't really looking for answers since this is an incredibly complex problem, I guess I was just looking for a sympathetic ear.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 01:15 pm
Might I suggest you contact an attorney and see if gaining custody is feasible/what your chances are? You can go to legal services (just look them up in the phone book or ask your local bar association) if you can't spend a lot of money.

Just, find out what your chances and options are before closing the possibility of divorce/mediation/separation down completely. It may not be as difficult as you think.
0 Replies

briarwizard

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:26 pm
jespah wrote:
Might I suggest you contact an attorney and see if gaining custody is feasible/what your chances are? You can go to legal services (just look them up in the phone book or ask your local bar association) if you can't spend a lot of money.

Just, find out what your chances and options are before closing the possibility of divorce/mediation/separation down completely. It may not be as difficult as you think.

That's good advice.

But it doesn't help in my situation. As I said before I cannot maintain two households. We live in a very expensive area of the country and my wife doesn't have a history of getting and keeping decent paying jobs. So it's either try to find another job in a cheaper area, (tough long distance), or she goes broke and lives with the MIL.

Also our son has special needs. He needs therapy and homeschooling for at least a few years before he can function well in public schools. So one of us has to stay home and care for him.

Basically...I'm trapped.

My therapist understands my situation, (I've been seeing her for around a year), and suggests that if I can't leave I need to find a way to exist in the situation.

That's why I'm comptemplating having an outside relationship. It may not be, but after all these years, it feels like my last resort. I'm in a terrible bind, but I'm going to try to make the best of it.
0 Replies

magicgal1974

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:33 am
I really feel for you briarwizard - it is so hard to live life without affection, its such an important part of life.

You've probably seen from my post that I'm not anti-affairs - I agree with your therapist, I think you just need to do what you can to give yourself soemthing of what you need to be happy - even if that does mean cheating.

My gut feeling is that provided your wife doesnt find out, it could do the world of good for your relationship - if you are happier in yourself, you are going to be happier at home.

Sometimes its hard for external people to understand why you can't simply leave - it sounds like your situation is one that is just too hard to leave, so finding someone else to give you the love & support you need might be the only answer. I know other people will think I'm terrible (ie what about the influence on the third party etc...), but until they have been in a relationship where you are just co-existing, rather than living life together, they can't identify.
0 Replies

Ghendo

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:23 am
BriarWizard:

Let me beggin by killing my authority: i'm 19, single, only had one noteworthy romantic relationship and have led a flat out easy life compared to so many people in the world.
However i wish to offer my advice.

I'm a christian that thinks that divorce is flat out wrong and so is the whole affair thing. Separation I think can be a short term solution.... it will numb the pain but not fix the problem. I can see that you love your child very much and that you love your wife as well. This is good: love is amazing.

I recently read a book which is where the following ideas come from. It's called 'The five languages of love' or 'The five love languages' written by garry Chapman.

Each person has a 'love tank' that needs to be maintained full for our wellbeing. If our tank is 'flowing over' we are the kings and queens of the world. On the other hand, if we don't feel loved (even if we are) there is nothing but missery and loneliness. In order for us to feel loved, love needs to be expressed to us. The thing is that not everyone feels loved in the same way. Chapman claims that there are 5 different ways in which people feel loved: Quality time, Gifts, Acts of Service, Touch and Words of Affirmation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a shrink to realize the truth to this idea of love languages. I'm pretty sure that mine is quality time. It looks like yours is phisical touch (thought it could be another).

Once we have realized this it is clear what need to be done: not easy, not painless, but clear. what you need in your relationship (i'm judging) is to feel love from your wife. And chances are your wife needs to feel love from you more than you know. Near the end of the book Chapman outlines a strategy to get your 'love tank filled' which begins with the difficult process of filling your wife's love tank. He proposes (and i support) that when she feels loved -- "queen of the world"-- then she will respond in kind by making sure that you feel loved. Once again.... painfull process.... must be deliberate and intentional and all that stuff.

I haven't done justice to the book so i suggest you read it. 200 pages.... $5. or borrow it from someone.

Before i go i commend you for being a model man and sticking it out this far and hopefully a lot farther.... we need more men like you in this world.

-Ghendo
0 Replies

briarwizard

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:25 am
Thank you for the advice Ghendo.

If there is some way to get my marriage back on track, that would mean the world to me. I'll pick up a copy of the book.
0 Replies

briarwizard

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:41 am
Thanks again Ghendo.

I just ordered the book from Amazon.com. I read the reviews and it sounds like everything you say it is.
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:25 pm
You should be ashamed for brainstorming about which tactics to use to commit adultery!!!! Autism, by the way, is popping up more and more these days!!! Don't let yourself feel guilt because your son has special talents. It's nothing that a little therapy can't overcome and make easier to deal with.
That wife of yours needs a good dose of reality! She needs to learn how to let go of whatever the hell it was that has happened to her in the past.
Things happen for a reason, to teach us a lesson. I suggest you file for divorce. Normally, I would not reccomend that to anyone but, in your case it is just what needs to be done. Just so you know, if you both divorce after 10 years or more she will not only take you for what you have now but also any pensions or investments!!!!! So get out now before that 10th anniversary rolls by.
Now that you have grown up and are able to recognize controlling situations you need to fly like a bird and go live freely. Sure you'll be a weekend dad, perhaps you should consider filing for custody.
This woman sounds like a lunatic on the verge of a chemical inbalance breakdown, good lord, just get out before she hits menopause!!!!! I really am serious, I am not joking!!!! Best of Luck
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:38 pm
Ah, we all differ here. So it is on a2k, to our mutual consternation but also for some enrichment.

I most agree with Jespah. I see that you are quite decided, though, on not leaving the situation as it exists. I think this is explosive over the years to come, and that you should explore options, including what would happen on both separation or divorce.

I have a couple of points to add that I am not so sure of, just wondering.

I wonder if your wife has any mild autism symptoms herself.
This is not about blame, I am very antipathetic to that, but about understanding. Some aversion is within normal behavior... especially after abuse, so I am not jumping to any conclusion, just wondering.

The second point is that your child will be growing up with a mother with difficulty and that portends at the least confusion for the babe and perhaps great difficulty. It may or may not, but arguably may, enrich the child's life to have a loving woman, that is one whose love involves touching, around, and fairly soon.

This disconnection can carry on for many years to children of children.

I don't know the answer, but I am inclined to see you not just wish well.
You have already put years into this. If volunteering more self denial would be beneficial, I can conceptually see it, but it isn't clear to me that sucking it up is beneficial.
0 Replies

briarwizard

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:36 am
ossobuco, you hit the mark when you suggested mild autism.

I've just recently been informally diagnosed by my therapist, who has extensive experience with autism, as having 'Asperger's Syndrome'. I'd long suspected this from researching it in regards to my son who has been formally diagnosed with the condition.

And it runs in families.

My father almost certainly has it, and I suspect my Mother in Law and my wife have touches of it.
0 Replies

briarwizard

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:02 pm
Ghendo,

I just received the book from Amazon. I've read the first chapter and for the first time in a long time, I have real hope!

What Dr Chapman is saying makes real sense so far.

Thank you again for recommending it!
0 Replies

Ghendo

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 06:22 am
Anything i can do to help. Blessings and courage.

-Ghendo
0 Replies