Has Slate.com Become Much more Slanted to the Left Under the New Editor?

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 07:51 pm
Julia Turner has been in the job a year, and now the place reads like MSNBC, there is not even an attempt to report and ponder from the middle. Is this new, or am I just now noticing? I had for a long time known it was to the Left, but being journalists was I thought always more important than writing liberalism press releases. and I think I remember several long time people leaving when she came on, which is suspicious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,144 • Replies: 3
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 04:23 pm
Increasingly the problem with Slate is not so much as it is Leftist, it is that it is crap.

Quote:
How did Patricia get to be so strong? The answer, quite simply, involves human-caused climate change. Hurricane Patricia is exactly the kind of terrifying storm we can expect to see more frequently in the decades to come. Although there’s no way to know exactly how much climate change is a factor in Patricia’s explosive strengthening, it’s irresponsible, at this point, not to discuss it.

Scientists who study the link between hurricanes and climate change have long predicted, and debated, the trend of stronger tropical cyclones. The latest science seems to have settled on climate change boosting the frequency of the strongest hurricanes, even as total hurricane numbers may remain flat. Chris Mooney, at the Washington Post, gives a good overview of that science in the context of Patricia. Basically, storms like Patricia fit closely with these predictions, though they happen so infrequently that it’s almost impossible to definitively prove.

Meteorologically, there are at least four reasons why global warming could have contributed to Patricia’s ferocity: El Niño, exceptionally warm ocean temperatures, increased atmospheric humidity, and sea level rise.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/10/23/hurricane_patricia_was_made_worse_by_climate_change.html

So even as this quack works in that we dont know anything factual he insists upon rambling on selling his political views on humans poisoning the planet anyways. Slate is making the same mistake as Rolling Stone, it is spinning the stories that lefties want to hear, fabricating them out of the imaginations of the authors, as it abandons journalism. No wonder so many people left when the new editor was brought in.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 04:34 pm
I gave up on Slate at least a year ago, probably more, maybe two years ago, whenever they and many other sites changed to accommodate all the smart phone owners. Some sites changed better than others, format-wise.

Whether Slate is US type left or middling or silly, the format is junk on a page to a regular desk top type computer person.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 04:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Years ago they were great, but then again go back far enough and so was Rolling Stone. I like to read left right and center, as well as foreign, so being Left is certainly not a deal breaker for me. Being crap is. Increasingly there is nothing on Slate worth reading. I might stop looking at it soon.
0 Replies