apparent suicide

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 10:15 pm
A popular South Korean actress depressed after a divorce and distraught over online rumors was found dead Thursday in an apparent suicide, hours after she sent a text message saying "take care of my children no matter what happens."

This sentence has been taken from the following link.

http://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/South-Korean-actress-Choi-Jin-sil-found-dead-3192031.php

1) What differences will arise if I use 'with' instead of 'over' in "distraught over online rumors"?

2) I know the meaning of 'apparent' and 'suicide'. But what is the meaning of 'apparent suicide'?

3) What is meant with "hours after she sent a text message"? Is it possible to a human to send a message after some hours after his/her death?

Thanks to all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,174 • Replies: 1
No top replies

FBM

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 10:46 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
Nousher Ahmed wrote:

A popular South Korean actress depressed after a divorce and distraught over online rumors was found dead Thursday in an apparent suicide, hours after she sent a text message saying "take care of my children no matter what happens."

This sentence has been taken from the following link.

http://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/South-Korean-actress-Choi-Jin-sil-found-dead-3192031.php

1) What differences will arise if I use 'with' instead of 'over' in "distraught over online rumors"?

"distraught with" seems to be a somewhat weaker collocation than "distraught over," but other than that I can't think of any significant difference.

Quote:
2) I know the meaning of 'apparent' and 'suicide'. But what is the meaning of 'apparent suicide'?

It means that it looks like a suicide, but it has not been officially declared to be one. There's still some chance that it was murder or an accident.

Quote:
3) What is meant with "hours after she sent a text message"? Is it possible to a human to send a message after some hours after his/her death?

She sent the text message first, then her body was found hours later.

Quote:
Thanks to all.

No problem. Good luck with your English studies.
0 Replies