It's kerry and Edwards

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 08:57 am
How about Voodoo Economics? If I remember right that was George Bush Sr.'s description of Reagan's economic policies.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 08:57 am
Yep.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 08:58 am
IMO Edward's was and is the best choice Kerry could have made.

Some of what he brings to the table.
a] Balanced ticket geographically
b] Much needed charisma. He is young, good looking and vibrant. That does effect the vote of many people
c] He brings with him a large constituency. He came very close to being the front runner and candidate for president.
d] He cannot be portrayed as having been born with a silver spoon in his mouth as both Bush and Kerry can having come from humble beginnings.
e] He has not had a long term tenure in national politics for the opposition to distort and take out of context
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:00 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Who's my boy?

if bush is not yer boy then you cerainly give that impression.....perhaps you';d like to clarify plain language

I didn't vote for Bush, and am so far undecided for this election. Thanks for asking. :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:04 am
Brand X
Are you kidding. You have been a$$-wiping Bush for months. Now you say you are undecided. HO HO Hee Hee who the hell will it be?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:05 am
Kerry/Edwards. Smile I like it too!

Although even Kerry/Alf would be a better choice than Bush/Anybody.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:06 am
I don't recall being anti-kerry or anti-liberal equating to being pro-bush...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:06 am
Text of Kerry's e-mail re Edwards
the Kerry e-mail announcing Edwards as his Veep choice...

Dear -----------------,

In just a few minutes, I will announce that Senator John Edwards will join me as my running-mate on the Democratic ticket as a candidate for vice president of the United States. Teresa and I could not be more excited that John and Elizabeth Edwards will be our partners in our journey to make America stronger at home and respected in the world.

You are the heart and soul of our campaign. You've shattered records and expectations every step of the way. Every time someone said you couldn't do it, you proved them wrong. Because of your incredible grassroots energy and commitment, I wanted to make the first official announcement of my decision to you -- more than one million online supporters at johnkerry.com.

I want you to know why I'm excited about running for president with John Edwards by my side. John understands and defends the values of America. He has shown courage and conviction as a champion for middle class Americans and those struggling to reach the middle class. In the Senate, he worked to reform our intelligence, to combat bioterrorism, and keep our military strong. John reaches across party lines and speaks to the heart of America -- hope and optimism. Throughout his own campaign for President, John spoke about the great divide in this country -- the "Two Americas" -- that exist between those who are doing well today and those that are struggling to make it from day to day. And I am so proud that we're going to build one America together.

In the next 120 days and in the administration that follows, John Edwards and I will be fighting for the America we love. We'll be fighting to give the middle class a voice by providing good paying jobs and affordable health care. We'll be fighting to make America energy independent. We'll be fighting to build a strong military and lead strong alliances, so young Americans are never put in harm's way because we insisted on going it alone.

I can't tell you how proud I am to have John Edwards on my team, or how eager I am for the day this fall when he stands up for our vision and goes toe-to-toe with Dick Cheney.

This is the most important election of our lifetime, and a defining moment in our history. With you by our side every day of this campaign, John and I will lead the most spirited presidential campaign America has ever seen and fight to lead our nation in a new and better direction.

Thank you,

John Kerry
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:10 am
The big sound bite was "voodoo economics":

Quote:
Thus, Reagan promised a drastic cut in "big government," which he pledged would produce a balanced budget for the first time since 1969. Bush famously called Reagan's economic policy "voodoo economics."

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/U.S._presidential_election,_1980#Primaries

From Bush's campaign flyer:

Quote:
His credentials aren't built on slick salesmanship or empty rhetoric...

George H.W. Bush, a President we won't have to train...

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/U.S._presidential_election,_1980#Primaries

Finding a lot more about "no love lost", Barbara especially hating the Reagans (including snide comments about the silver jacket she war to Reagan's funeral), and general consensus about the negativity of George H.W.'s campaign against Reagan, especially, but "voodoo economics" is what keeps coming up as the example. Like, "Still, some of modern American politics' most memorable jabs have been uttered by fellow party members. The charge of 'voodoo economics' was leveled by the president's father, George H.W. Bush, against Ronald Reagan during the 1980 campaign, before the senior Bush became his running mate."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:13 am
Aw, and acquiunk already said it and everything. Ah well.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:31 am
Good scoop Soz, lol.
I think Edwards was the popular choice and therefore the inevitable choice, but suspect in the long run he'd have been better off going with the retired General Wesley Clark. It is my opinion that the man would benefit greatly from a boost in credibility and I don't believe Edwards will provide it. Clark exuded integrity. You could almost see his uniform when he was in civilian clothes. By the way, Bush is still an 8 to 5 favorite at this time.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:32 am
The Republican National Committee said: "John Kerry was against John Edwards before he was for him. But now he's his running mate. Who is John Edwards? A disingenuous, unaccomplished liberal and friend to personal injury trial lawyers."

But he's so pretty.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:32 am
Bio of John Edwards
Posted on Tue, Jul. 06, 2004
Bio Box of John Edwards
Associated Press

NAME: John Edwards.

AGE-BIRTH DATE: 51; June 10, 1953.

RELIGION: Methodist.

EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree, North Carolina State University, 1974; law degree, University of North Carolina, 1977.

POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: Elected U.S. senator in 1998.

OTHER EXPERIENCE: Trial lawyer in Nashville, Tenn., and Raleigh, N.C., for two decades.

FAMILY: Wife, Elizabeth Anania Edwards. Children: Cate, Emma Claire, Jack. Son Wade died in a 1996 traffic accident.

POLITICAL HERO: Former North Carolina Sen. Terry Sanford "because he was ahead of his time on civil rights. He stood up for civil rights in the South when it wasn't an easy thing to do."

QUOTE: "George Bush has a health care plan - pray you don't get sick," Edwards said. "They have led us from the edge of greatness when Bill Clinton left office to the edge of a cliff."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:34 am
Clark was the Kerry back-up, though, when it looked like Kerry wasn't doing as well -- filled the same niche. (Military background, gravitas.) The VP position is meant to fill in blanks, provide what ISN'T there, (think Bush/ Cheney), and the political skills, warmth and charisma of Edwards are just the ticket, IMO.

Plus I'll get to see the Edwards/ Cheney debate! Yay!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:35 am
(nimh, see? McGentrix did it all in one little post.)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:35 am
Edwards
John Edwards was a prime sponsor/writer of the Patients Bill of Rights legislation. He is committed to improving US health care accesss by everyone.

BBB
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:41 am
How the GOP can criticize Edwards when their own man is Cheney is remarkable. But, as others have noted, that's politics.

Edwards is a good choice for all the usual reasons. Geographical balance, a good speaker, new face. Clark might have been good, too, but Kerry does have a military background. Unlike his opponent...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:43 am
McG
Quote:

The Republican National Committee said: "John Kerry was against John Edwards before he was for him. But now he's his running mate. Who is John Edwards? A disingenuous, unaccomplished liberal and friend to personal injury trial lawyers."

Do I hear an echo? Let the games begin.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:47 am
D'artagnan wrote:
How the GOP can criticize Edwards when their own man is Cheney is remarkable. But, as others have noted, that's politics.

Well, it's not like Cheney doesn't have any experience or anything? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:48 am
Did some one say that Edwards has no foreign relations experience. Coming from someone who supported Bush that is a laugh. He did not even know that there was a world outside of Texas.
0 Replies