Want to overcome my racism

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 01:46 am
I never really realized how racist I am. I grew up in a small town like 99% white, but progressive town, not the south. We read all kinds of books about racism and I am a very scientifically literate person, there really is not such thing as race, we are all humans and we all came from Africa.

However, I recently moved to a decently large city with a lot more diversity. And I have come to realize that I get scared when I am out late in the evening and a black person is walking toward me. I have become a bit self-loathing over it and I want to address it but I am not sure how. I do not want to be a "racist" I understand all the advantages I have being a white person and how much harder it is in todays society being black. I truly believe racism needs to be dealt with and I want to atleast start with myself.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

jespah

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 06:56 am
@wanttoaddessthis,
I suspect that more than one issue is in play here. One is a perfectly legitimate fear of walking alone at night in a strange place. The other may be not knowing people, and jumping to conclusions.

So I'd recommend a few things -

Take a self-defense class. Work on eliminating this all-too legitimate portion of your anxiety.

Make friends, of all races. How? Do the things you like to do. Unless you're going to white supremacist meetings, I suspect you'll see a few people of differing pigments at church or acting club or quilting bee or cosplay or whatever. Just go over, say hi, stick your hand out and introduce yourself. Make small talk like mentioning that you're new to the area and haven't found a decent pizza place or hardware store yet. Not everyone will be your friend, but you will see individuality this way. One piece of prejudice is prejudging, that everyone seems alike to you. Meet and get to know individuals, and people won't all seem to be alike.
neologist

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 05:48 pm
@jespah,
And I would add that xenophobia is not the same as racism.
Apply Jespah's words and enjoy life.
0 Replies