What is Real Science?

north

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 03:05 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

neologist wrote:

I would say I am as well established in the physical sciences as any on a2k. And one intent of my OP is to stimulate critical thought.

Have I failed?

Just my 2p's worth: No, I wouldn't say that you've failed. I enjoy discussing things with you, whether we ultimately agree or not. The process of exchanging ideas and understandings encourage5s self-examination, and I'm big on that.

One hair to split, though: I think farmerman has you on the "well established in the physical sciences" bit. And me, for that matter.

Neo

Rather Encouraging wouldn't you say ? I hope so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 03:35 am
@georgeob1,
Which has what to do with Neo's preference for completely undemonstrated superstitions? Not only that, but Neo constantly attempts to claim that scripture says what it patently does not say, and that there are passages of scripture which predicted the future (from the perspective of loons he quotes), and then cannot sustain a narrative of how those claims were fulfilled. He takes a "two out of three ain't bad" position, when, in fact, it's more like one dubiously alleged instance out of about two dozen phony baloney claims. It was on that basis that I finally got sick and tired of his BS. If scripture is supposed to be the divinely inspired, inerrant record of the word of "God," then two out of three will never be good enough, let alone one phony-baloney claim out of a couple of dozen.

I sure as hell don't need you to tell me anything about history--and I'm frankly getting sick of your horseshit condescension, because I've never seen any evidence that you have anything to teach me about history, nor any other subject in which I am interested.
north

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 03:51 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Which has what to do with Neo's preference for completely undemonstrated superstitions? Not only that, but Neo constantly attempts to claim that scripture says what it patently does not say, and that there are passages of scripture which predicted the future (from the perspective of loons he quotes), and then cannot sustain a narrative of how those claims were fulfilled. He takes a "two out of three ain't bad" position, when, in fact, it's more like one dubiously alleged instance out of about two dozen phony baloney claims. It was on that basis that I finally got sick and tired of his BS. If scripture is supposed to be the divinely inspired, inerrant record of the word of "God," then two out of three will never be good enough, let alone one phony-ba5loney claim out of a couple of dozen.

I sure as hell don't need you to tell me anything about history--and I'm frankly getting sick of your horseshit condescension, because I've never seen any evidence that you have anything to teach me about history, nor any other subject in which I am interested.

Interesting

I'm listening
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 09:23 am
@FBM,
I didn't say better established.
Just well enough
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 09:26 am
@georgeob1,
One must tread carefully in the presence of the sage, lest he be deluged by many words.
north

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 09:28 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

One must tread carefully in the presence of the sage, lest he be deluged by many words.

That you don't understand
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 05:34 pm
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 06:10 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Real Science is the result of good Philosophy put to practice. The converse is not true. Science without Philosophy is blind. One would be better off getting monkeys generating random questions to get somewhere purely by scientific methods. Good questions save a lot of time and wasted money...we need more of those any day. To be blunt the past 100 years in physics will go down in long term History books as a great clarifier on why science is not, can't be, self sufficient.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 03:44 pm
This one is a eye opener... Laughing

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 12:41 am
@neologist,
A salient point for this thread is that both "science" and "religion" are two activities which appear to be unique to the human species. Both are involved with prediction and control..a concept of future states. The word " reality" merely expresses a degree of confidence in those future states and this where the two activities differ. Science aspires to "universal confidence" whereas religion is "parochial". The well known catch all clause...an attempt at "universality".... that "all knowledge is in the gift of God"..sometimes interpreted as "Man's limited control ...he being made in the image of God" ...tends to be the modus operandi of religious scientists.
Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 01:52 am
gabble gabble gabble munch munch . . .

Science simply means knowing, and in its more complex forms, inferring absent states and future states from that knowing. Your dog, for Chrissake knows you still exist when you aren't in sight, and has a reasonable expectation of your return in the future. Jesus, what a plank . . .
Razzleg

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 02:24 am
@Krumple,
i also thought i'd follow this up...maybe..oh, maybe...just to be a dick, but not a totally ineffectual one:

Krumple wrote:

neologist wrote:

Real science - True reality
What the heck is everyone talking about?
Is there a fake science? What is it?
Is there false reality, as in "It is as it isn't"?

Science is simple. Not sure why people think they need to make it complex.

"Science" is not simple. Neither the body of knowledge so-called, nor the discipline so-named.

Krumple wrote:
Science is a systematic method of examining reality and comparing it with questions.

Not quite...it's a matter observing reality, tampering with it in order to create control groups, and then comparing the two groups. Questions come before and after experiments, they are useless during the experiment... Thus science is a method of examining reality and comparing it with a reality changed by questions...

Krumple wrote:
Hypothesis
Compute the consequences of the hypothesis.
Test the hypothesis and compare with reality.
If they conflict with each other then it is wrong..

Compute the consequences of the hypothesis?...

Re: scientific method -- if the hypothesis is wrong, then the "test" (experiment) is still right. The experiment always represents truthiness...The comparison involved in an experiment isn't between an hypothesis and reality, but between a hypothesis and the results of an experiment. The conflict between these two terms leaves "reality" unscathed.

[quote="Krumple"The only weakness in this is having a limits amount of consequences, if you do not verify enough consequences then you could have made a mistake. But consequences are really only available according to the data that you currently have. If additional data arrives at a later time, this new data could create a consequence that invalidates the conclusion.

Nonsense...but let's break down this answer:

Krumple wrote:
The only weakness in this is having a limits amount of consequences, if you do not verify enough consequences then you could have made a mistake.

Verify how? You only need one "consequence" in the course of an experiment to prove its value...

Krumple wrote:
But consequences are really only available according to the data that you currently have.

Wut?

Krumple wrote:
If additional data arrives at a later time, this new data could create a consequence that invalidates the conclusion.

How could an experiment be considered concluded if data is continuing to come in/ be collected? Surely, the only way that data could continued to be collected in the existing context would be as an extension of the experiment.

Krumple wrote:
This is why science advances and is humble to it's past claims. Nothing can be validated as a definite because there is always a chance you will collect some data later that invalidates it and therefore the conclusion needs to be updated.

No...no...Science isn't humble because it cannot prove or validate earlier claims. It can. At its best, science is humble because it has so much yet to learn; and it advances because trials expand that learning...Later experimental discoveries do not invalidate earlier hypotheses and/or theories, they redefine past experimental data in light of modern experimental practice...

0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 02:38 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

A salient point for this thread is that both "science" and "religion" are two activities which appear to be unique to the human species. Both are involved with prediction and control..a concept of future states. The word " reality" merely expresses a degree of confidence in those future states and this where the two activities differ. Science aspires to "universal confidence" whereas religion is "parochial". The well known catch all clause...an attempt at "universality".... that "all knowledge is in the gift of God"..sometimes interpreted as "Man's limited control ...he being made in the image of God" ...tends to be the modus operandi of religious scientists.

Without arguing about too much: "prediction about future states" is not a uniquely homo sapiens' activity, so if religion and science fall so casually under that umbrella, what are you talking about re: species unique-ness and your general "conceptual chain of being?"
Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 03:21 am
Now for some comic relief . . .

https://assets.rbl.ms/1504824/980x.jpg

26 Science Questions That Push The Limits Of Human Stupidity
FBM

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 03:26 am
@Setanta,
Laughing Because God's a good shot, of course.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 03:51 am
And he moves his divine bowels in mysterious ways . . .
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 08:30 am
Real science becomes a ringtone on Breaking Bad.

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 09:40 am
@Setanta,
Oh yeah!
My dog can bark in 3 languages. And perform complex chemical processes.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 10:47 am
@Setanta,
I really don't know why you think this is comic given the context of the thread, it sounds more like sad to me...

This is exactly the kind of stupid question pure science without philosophical understanding would do...

Say scientists had no way of observing a shock wave and I would love to see what mathematical models could come up where such a question might arise.

...the crater correlation reminds me of dark matter and dark energy and more recently dark flow...I am not smiling, I am way past any will to smile.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 10:58 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Which has what to do with Neo's preference for completely undemonstrated superstitions? Not only that, but Neo constantly attempts to claim that scripture says what it patently does not say, and that there are passages of scripture which predicted the future (from the perspective of loons he quotes), and then cannot sustain a narrative of how those claims were fulfilled. He takes a "two out of three ain't bad" position, when, in fact, it's more like one dubiously alleged instance out of about two dozen phony baloney claims. It was on that basis that I finally got sick and tired of his BS. If scripture is supposed to be the divinely inspired, inerrant record of the word of "God," then two out of three will never be good enough, let alone one phony-baloney claim out of a couple of dozen.

I clearly acknowledged that I wasn't offering any comment on neologist's beliefs whatever they may be. Instead I commented on your (odd in my perspective) apparent presumption that you know the motives and beliefs behind what he wrote here.

I went on to note that scientists themselves are about as prone to prejudgments and intolerance as the rest of us, and that many "unscientific" positions have been taken in the past by self-proclaimed scientists on both sides of the vague creatioon issues that appear to be an undercurrent to this discussion.

Apparently you are faulting me for failing to understand and respond to your purposes in opposing particular posters here. The fact is I have no intertest in either pursuing or opposing the various personal vendettas you appear to pursue with such intensity here.

I'm aware that you are particularly knoweledgable about history and some other topics as well. However this isn't a contest and you aren't perfect, and neither am I. Beyond that, I don't give a damn.