Clashing degrees of comfort

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 10:35 pm
Recently I decided to tag my boyfriend on Facebook so it shows "in a relationship with ___" instead of just "in a relationship". We've been dating over a year and all of my relationships I've done that with. I asked how he felt about it and he said (1) that he hadn't noticed and (2) that it felt more like a territorial marking.

I brushed it off and asked if he would accept. He then said his grandma and some other family don't know he's gay and doesn't want her to find out on Facebook. He said we've talked about this before and I respond "I thought you hadn't noticed?" He said he "just remembered."

When he realizes this upsets me he gets very defensive and mad. He doesn't realize why it upsets me even when I explained it in a calm way. He says sure it might be easy for me, but I'm asking him to affect his family dynamics.

This hurt me. I feel that as 20+ year old college boyfriends who've been dating over a year, he needs to live his life freely and disdain those who disagree with his lifestyle. I feel like he's more worried about "what grams will think" than our relationship.

We are from different backgrounds; I came out before high school. And worrying about what grandma will think? I knew I wasn't going to live my life in fear and under senseless control. She kept asking about girls and I told her when I was like 15. She sure didn't like it, but what good does lying about it do?

This is really upsetting me - I feel rejected and like an embarrassment. For Christ's sake, if he hasn't told his grandma yet, I wouldn't be surprised if he never does. We've been dating for over a year and he's still afraid of her finding out. I feel like I deserve a relationship that is treated with more courage. This upsets me more than I want it to and I wonder if I'm overreacting.

What do you think of this and our reactions based on what I've said?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 535 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 06:08 am
@Elliptic,
I think you're in two very different places in your lives (in the interests of full disclosure, I am not gay). Coming out is, as you know, a very, very big deal. I can see why he wouldn't want to be even accidentally outed, particularly on Facebook as it feels impersonal.

As for his relationship with his grandmother, that is not for you to judge. He loves her and wants her to be comfortable. Maybe he's too chicken to come out to her, but that's his choice and it's not yours, particularly not when it's done with a Facebook tag.

Navigating relationships is difficult under the best of circumstances. This is obviously important to him (his earlier statement about not noticing? He noticed. He was either trying to figure out how to word the issues he's got with it or he came to a realization that he's not ready for such a public declaration of his sexuality).

You need to decide whether it's more important to you to be open, or to be with him.
0 Replies