Study suggests high-protein diet may decrease fertility

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:33 pm
Atkins 'affects conception chances'

By Caroline Ryan
BBC News Online health staff in Berlin

Meat is a good source of protein
Eating a high protein diet - such as Atkins - could reduce a woman's chances of conceiving, researchers suggest.
The Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine carried out tests which showed that if mice ate a diet containing 25% protein, it would affect embryo and foetal development.

They told a Berlin fertility conference this could mean women eating over 30% protein may have trouble conceiving.

But an Atkins spokeswoman said they had seen cases where the diet improved women's chances of becoming pregnant.

Whether or not these findings or effects would apply to humans, who are omnivores, is unknown

Atkins Nutritionals spokeswoman
She said the diet did not set limits on how much protein people should eat.

The researchers fed female mice diets with either a high proportion of protein (25%) or a normal proportion (around 14%).

It was found those on the high protein diet had four times the amount of ammonium in their reproductive tracts than those on a normal diet.

Previous research had shown that high levels of ammonium can damage mouse embryos and impair foetal development by affecting a key gene - H19 - involved in controlling growth.

The gene is only supposed to be activated if it is inherited from the mother. But in two-thirds of embryos from mice on high protein diets, it was the father's HI9 gene that was switched on.

These embryos were later unable to develop properly in the womb.

'Prudent move'

In this study, 174 embryos at an early stage of their development were transferred from both groups of mice to surrogate mothers fed a normal diet.

This study found that just over a third of embryos developed in mothers on the high-protein diet, compared with 70% in the normal diet group.

Sixty-five per cent of the high-protein embryos developed into foetuses, compared with 81% from the normal diet group.

And while virtually all the embryos from that group continued to develop, just 84% of those from the high-protein group continued the same progress.

The research team said these findings, along with similar research in cows, meant it would be "prudent" for women who were trying to conceive to limit their protein intake to around 20% of their diet.

Dr David Gardner, who led the study, told BBC News Online: "The rate of foetal development was severely reduced as a result of the high protein diet of the mother."

He said caution was needed in interpreting the data, because the study looked at mice which are herbivores.

But he added: "You can extrapolate these findings.

"It's conceivable that people who have protein intakes greater than 30% may have problems conceiving."

But a spokeswoman for Atkins Nutritionals said: "The study subjects were mice, which are herbivores. Whether or not these findings or effects would apply to humans, who are omnivores, is unknown."

She said other research had shown that reducing carbohydrate levels, as advised by the Atkins diet, could help overweight women with polycystic ovary syndrome to conceive.

The research was presented at a meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology.

*Whatever I personally think of the Atkin's diet is irrelevant here. When I first heard this story, the Atkin's spokeswoman's remarks were exactly the same thoughts I had. Rolling Eyes They give out grants for this half-baked research?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,028 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:34 pm
So all that fish on Friday and during Lent crap they foisted off on Catholics for centuries, that was just another part of the diabolic master-plot of the Anti-Christ, huh?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:37 pm
I might also add a sad note here. I was at the zoo today, and one of the oraganutans died, despite huge effort to save him, when some idiots thoughtlessly tossed food into the cage. All there is to eat at the zoo is processed, fast food, hot dogs, hamburgers, ice cream, none of which I believe are on the orangutan's natural diet list. Give an animal anything they shouldn't naturally eat, humans too, as regards fast food, and you just don't know what can happen.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:15 am
Setanta wrote:
So all that fish on Friday and during Lent crap they foisted off on Catholics for centuries, that was just another part of the diabolic master-plot of the Anti-Christ, huh?

Nah, we're omnivores, and need a balanced diet based on the old hunter/gatherer model that sustained us before Jesus kicked McDonald's out of the temple, or do I have that story confused?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 04:14 pm
A high protein diet might affect the fructose level, available to the sperm cells.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 10:51 pm
My doctor who went on the Atkins diet to lose weight said that it was only for short time because too high a protein diet can damage the kidneys. By the way, he had a heart attack a few months after getting off the diet. He hesitated to attribute it to the diet, however.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:41 am
JLNobody wrote:
My doctor who went on the Atkins diet to lose weight said that it was only for short time because too high a protein diet can damage the kidneys. By the way, he had a heart attack a few months after getting off the diet. He hesitated to attribute it to the diet, however.

What do you suppose caused the heart attack?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:50 am
I'm on the South Beach Diet. My doctor recommended it over Atkins specifically because of Atkins' too-high levels of proteins and saturated fats.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 02:58 pm
What's the SouthBeach diet?
0 Replies