Gay Couples:Marriage is Not a Right

Ionus

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 11:55 pm
@farmerman,
Marriage is not a civil right . You and fools like you stuck rights on the end of marriage and everyone fell for it . People dont analyse a cause, they just sign up for it so they can go back to pathetic ignorance and feeling good about themselves . Or is politics another one of your many failings of understanding ?
Ionus

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 11:57 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
If it's acceptable for homosexuals to marry each other because of love and consent, then why is polygamy illegal when the parties involved are similarly in love and consenting? What about aunts and nephews or uncles and nieces when the same standards are present? If it is discrimination against homosexuals, why would it not be discrimination against these other parties?
From the PO ref .
farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 05:21 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Marriage is not a civil right

Jeezus , youre made of Osmium, arent you?

I never said that or implied that marriage was a civil right (Except by the fact that to NOT ALLOW gay couples to forma legal union (marrige0, they DO NOT ENJOY CERTAIN CIVIL RIGHTS>

GET IT ??

Now you may try to sound as dumb as a post but Im not going to let you peddle it.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 10:25 am
@Ionus,
Marriage is not a civil right, but equality is. Equal rights for everyone, period.
That includes the right to marry whomever you want to. No one every forbid you to marry whomever you finally hooked up with, right?

That's what we're talking about - the right of equality!
farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 11:40 am
@CalamityJane,
also, property rights, rights of property and property transfer and a few benefits that we non-gays just take for granted.

Until the rules were changed in most states, gay couples couldnt even have the economic rights of family between them.
No, marriage isnt a civil right but what marriage conveys between the parties ,are.
Anu will argue something whether hes head-strong wrong or just ignorant.
He will then , change his position and try to announce that it was his correspondent that was wrong because Anus " brought up the point first".
He fools no one except hisself
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:03 pm
@farmerman,
That's for sure, plus he never answered your question as to if gay people have the same rights as the rest of us. He evaded the question completely.

What I never will understand - aside from Ionus here - why people are against gay marriage. It doesn't do a dent to their lives at all, so why can't they be gracious enough and allow others to be legally bound with the one they love?
This is what I don't understand!

Ionus: please do tell me why you are against gay marriage? Simple terms, no evasion of the question, please!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:18 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
What I never will understand - aside from Ionus here - why people are against gay marriage. It doesn't do a dent to their lives at all, so why can't they be gracious enough and allow others to be legally bound with the one they love?
Exactly.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:21 pm
I've often wondered why some legislature has not decided to grant civil union privileges to any couple: father son, brother sister, 2 widows, or 2 widowers, etc., leaving the definition of the term 'marriage' to the religious institutions or other authorities performing the union. This would allow all citizens to enjoy the legal benefits, while removing the emotional objection many have to the term 'marriage'.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:36 pm
@neologist,
Gay or straight, we all pay the same taxes. If the government doesn't make a distinction between income and tax rate, denying rights to certain people on an arbitrary basis becomes institutionalized discrimination Gay marriage is not a threat to anyone, except the morality police. Dennis Hastert was a member of the morality police, how do you like him now?
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:37 pm
@neologist,
Uhh what do you mean by father son, brother sister? That would be incest and not a legal union.

The word marriage is not tied to religion, I wasn't married in church and my license said marriage license. It is a term used in the English language to define a legalized union - marriage! It's used for all, why distinguish it between sexes?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:44 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
The word marriage is not tied to religion, I wasn't married in church and my license said marriage license.
Ditto. (Besides that, in Germany you can only marriage religiously, if you've got the marriage certificate from the registry office.)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:49 pm
@CalamityJane,
To clarify:
"Marriage" is certainly a word with emotional impact, whether it be from tradition or religion.

And there is a great need, IMO, for a broad inclusion of those eligible for civil unions. An elderly widow or widower needing the support of a close relative, elderly brother and sister, just two examples. Why would they not be entitled to the same rights as those we now give only to those who are 'married'?

My suggestion would keep the government out of the fray, leaving folks to declare themselves by whatever definition they prefer.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:57 pm
@neologist,
Hm, I can agree somewhat to this, neologist. Usually though, close relatives are already protected legally. For instance, if the father is ill and cannot function on it's own, the son is legally the next keen and is allowed to make decisions for his father, also health decisions.
Now if the father has a partner whom he's not married to, legally the partner has no rights whatsoever, even though he might be the only one caring for the father and helping him. Legally he has no stand, neither does he if the father dies.

There are so many legal decisions one is left out from when it's a same sex union. There was this case in Ohio (somewhere there is a youtube video of it) where the family was against their son being gay. He left his family home to live with his gay partner for 7 years in Florida. When he was ill and dying, the family took over and shut out the lover completely. He wasn't even allowed to attend the funeral. How disheartening was that?
glitterbag

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:03 pm
Brothers and sister can inherit, there is no logical reason to create marriage because they are family members. My brother can inherit my estate if my husband, sons and granddaughter don't survive me. Law has taken care of family line of inheritance. Thats why the word marriage is necessary for gay unions, if its not marriage it can be contested and plans you make for your loved ones can be upended.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:

What I never will understand - aside from Ionus here - why people are against gay marriage.

Well, Anus is not good with women nd hes too ugly to be gay
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:14 pm
@farmerman,
Hehe.... Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:21 pm
@CalamityJane,
I only showed up here to rant in favor of civil unions. If legislators recoil at the term marriage because of pressure from constituents or personal belief, the civil union idea would relieve them of the difficulty.

Might bring relief a lot sooner
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:36 pm
@neologist,
You're probably right about that, neologist. They could call it civil (legal) union in those states that are reluctant to give in.
neologist

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:41 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
You're probably right about that, neologist. They could call it civil (legal) union in those states that are reluctant to give in.
In that case, if we agree, it's not likely to happen. Mr. Green
farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:45 pm
@neologist,
my only problem wuith that is , certain pols in some states will use the "civil union" language to possibly exclude partners from enjoying specific rights . However,Whereas marriage is a cross-societal norm, itd be difficult to create exclusionary language where the entire population is uniformly included.
Im thinking of what they did with AMish until the USSC actually had to create special language that included these separatists sects.
Whew,