American Ghost Towns

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:12 pm
More than fifte sites with photos from ghost towns in Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, California and Arizona are to found on this website:

Ghost Town Gallery

It's not only nice to see the places that we were brought up on as children when we went to the movies - it has, IMHO, the same standard as ... well, let's say the website by the "English Heritage Society", 'National Monuments Record - Images of England' [ at Images of England ]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,058 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:34 pm
That's great, Walter, thanks. I suspect anyplace calling itself Chloride City must have had a collective death wish in the first place!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:49 pm
I grew up not far from Bodie, CA, and I can tell you that the only thing that distinguishes this ghost town from some of the regular towns around there is the lack of inhabitants... ;-) <mr. winky>
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 04:16 pm
North American Ghost Towns
Hi Walter,

Here's link for the town of Coloma ~

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/coloma.html
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 04:38 pm
North America Ghost Towns
oops, posted/ then the site disappeared!

Northern California hosts many ghost towns, the famous site is Sutters Mill where gold first discovered.

Coloma, a town most charming especially for people who love antique shopping, or just reliving California's western history, located in the foothills of the Sierras.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 04:53 pm
Friends of mine own the rights to a couple of ghost towns which they use with their business.

http://www.highlandstageco.com/
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 06:51 pm
Man, they'll call anything a ghost town. I've been to Galisteo and Cerillos, NM, to visit friends.... no, they weren't ghosts.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 07:33 pm
Thanks for the link, Walter. I love to visit ghost towns.

Stradee, your link worked for me. Several years ago, I lived at Lake Tahoe and had a friend there who took me through all the ghost towns (and non-ghost towns) along Highway 49. He was a real history buff, especially relating to that era, thus I had my very own guided tour along with commentary! Coloma is the town that has always stood out in my mind. It was nice to revisit it through the photos. I hope I get to go back again some day.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 08:22 pm
I would love to visit ghost towns, I think they provide quite an interesting backdrop for creativity.
Heres a link that provides many different ones by state:
www.americanwest.com/pages/towns.htm

i've only visited one so far, and it was when they were beginning to rebuild so, it IMO was no longer a ghost town, but the fact that this town had been sliding off the mountain itself I thought was interesting. It is now home to many artists Im told so, Im sure they are rebuilding it very creatively Smile
http://www.americanwest.com/pages/jerome.htm
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 11:57 pm
chatoyant hi ~

Tahoe my favorite place on the planet! A home in Homewood kept primarily for ski trips, but never lived in Tahoe year round.

Recently relocated to the Sierras , 2000 ft level, and am having a great
time visiting historical sights in the area.

If you ever get the chance, please visit Columbia, Ca. Not a ghost town, however, all the buildings restored and many original building still standing.

Called Columbia State Historic Park, the current mode of transportation is
still a stagecoach! A great place to visit!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 11:38 am
stradee --

I grew up minutes from Columbia, in Sonora! Odd to be reminded that it's a state park, since it's also a place where people live and go to school. (My uncle used to have a pharmacy out there.)

The Columbia Candy Kitchen makes its own very good old-fashioned candy in the back. Don't recommend the gold-panning, though. Turns out it's not very lucrative...
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 04:46 pm
patiodog, Columbia such a cool place to visit, the surrounding areas beautiful Do you remember the Frireman's Musters held in columbia a few years ago?

Firefighters from everywhere gathered for comptitions and parades through town.

It's been a few years since visiting Colombia, but if ever there again, will certainly visit the Candy Store.

There's also a photo studio (if still there) where people dress up in western costumes and have their protrait taken. Still have the pic we took, looking all serious and pilgrimish Smile a great keepsake.

Haven't panned for gold yet, but people tell me there's nuggets still just waiting to be found in the American River. My next purchase will definitely be a river raft Smile
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 05:35 pm
Hmmm. I moved away from there in 1993. Don't remember any such thing -- but I spent a lot of my time up in the mountains, anyway...
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 06:35 pm
North America
I guess lots has changed since last visit. My kids were younger - about 15 years ago.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 06:53 pm
Yep, a lot really has changed, even in the short time I've been gone (and while I lived there). Makes me sad when I see what a strip mall it's all becoming, quite frankly. It's been a couple of years since I've even passed through, now. Wonder what's been built now...
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:08 pm
North America
I haven't visited there is quite a few years either.

Not many pictures available at Columbia web pages either ~ but I do remember shopping in the town ~

Found the following link for a bit of history regarding Columbia. The pics that are featured are lithographs depicting how the town may have appeared at the turn or the century.

http://www.columbiacalifornia.com/timeline.html
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:36 pm
Walt, I enjoyed the thread.
0 Replies