Husband lied and cheated need advice

C1981

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 04:39 am
My husband and I have been married for over 8 years. We have what I would have called a really good relationship. We have 3 kids together and have been through a lot of things together and always said they made us stronger. He was diagnosed with depression and anxiety about 18 months ago. He's been off work and very debilitated by it. He's on meds and goes to a counsellor. I have supported him and the kids through this very difficult time. I found out he's been sexting an old friend of his behind my back and also gambled away thousands of euro we don't have. He hasn't acted on the texting and says he never intended to. I'm hurt, angry and feel betrayed. I don't know what to do????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,760 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 05:35 am
Insist on a joint visit to his counselor. Find out what's going on and be sure there are no "secrets" along the path of his therapy.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 07:35 am
@C1981,
He needs counseling. He also needs to be put on a rather short financial leash. You are going to have to be the grownup here. That means taking command of the finances, having his checks directly deposited if they aren't already, and he gets an allowance for his necessaries (e. g. lunch money, gas money, that sort of thing) and nothing else.

Are you treating him like a child then? You'd better believe you are, and I am advocating for that. He is a big boy, but that kind of gambling destroys families and you need to protect yourself and your children's futures. If he balks about this, you might need to go to the nuclear option. I'm serious. He could gamble you into homelessness, and that ****'s gotta stop yesterday.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 08:54 am
@C1981,
C1981 wrote:

We have what I would have called a really good relationship.

Sorry to disagree but no..you don't. He has a poor relationship with himself right now. He's not being honest with anyone.
C1981 wrote:

I found out he's been sexting an old friend of his behind my back and also gambled away thousands of euro we don't have.
This is more proof that your relationship is not where it should be or what you think it is. He is being horribly self-destructive, not to mention threatening to the security and finances of the family.

Counseling might help this out... only if he's willing to go and make the changes needed.
0 Replies