SWEETHEARTS

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:25 am
I know a woman who is a gem in the setting of her neighborhood. Many there are from foreign lands, and many speak another language as well as, or rather than English. To them all, this woman is a cheerful welcome in a strange and alien environment. She is no quidnunc, running to distill the latest gossip; she is a shoulder to cry on, someone to laugh with, a source of good advice for getting around, shopping carefully, dealing with a bewildering government.

She knows all of the neighborhood pets by name, and they get very happy and bouncey when they see her coming. She knows the circumstances of all of their lives, and greets them with the appropriate and friendly tone to reassure and comfort them. When a small, unknown dog was hit a glancing blow by a car, and ran into her neighborhood, she searched for hours, but to no effect. Rising well before her accustomed hour the next morning, she heard again the wimper she thought she may have dreamed, and knowing now it was no dream, she found and rescued a frightened puppy who had cowered alone all night in a back yard.

Wherever she has worked, she has partaken of the social life of her coworkers, and she maintains such friendships for many years after she has moved on to a better job. She is invited to and attends and enjoys the birthday parties, wedding receptions, holiday get-togethers--no one ever doubts she'll be a cheerful, lively addition to their gatherings.

There is so much more i could say, but it should be obvious by now that i refer to my sweetiepie--the best woman i know.

Please tell us about your sweetheart, and why you love your special someone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,261 • Replies: 17
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:39 am
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww....!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:51 am
Ante up Soz, tells about your EG . . .
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:55 am
I don't think I could do justice to my sweetie like you have to yours, Set. Having met the lady in question, I know why you love her so much. I felt like I was meeting an old friend for the first time. What a warm and lovely woman!

My guy is a very complicated person. He is one of the funniest people I know. He has devoted his entire life to me and our sons.

OK, I'm sitting here with tears running down my cheeks. Thanks, Setanta.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:14 am
Oh, golly. He's just the best. He listens to me and supports me. He's always there. He's kind, generous and thoughtful. They love him at work because he's hard-working and eager to learn new things, and he treats his fellow coworkers the way he wants to be treated. Ask him about that, and he'll say, "I can't be any other way."

He's always been good to my family. I never have to worry about him getting along with them. And of course he is good to his side of the family, too (sides, what sides?). It's just the way he is.

... and he's a fine A2K poster. :-D

PS thanks for the great idea for a topic, Set!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:27 am
That's a wonderful description of ehBeth, Setanta. I will try to explain my sweetheart, though I'm sure I cannot equal your turn of phrase.

My sweetheart has been my best friend for more than thirty years and we have been in love since the day we met. Though we didn't have children immediately, he always wanted them and has raised our children with love, guidance, humor and the patience of Job. They love, adore and respect him. They know they can rely on him for parental guidance that is honest and true. They can come to him with any problem and he will help them work it through with an amazing generosity of spirit (and wallet). He relishes his life as their father.

In his own field, he is honest and hard-working. The only way he knows how to work is as hard as he can. He does the best for his employer who trusts him with huge responsibilities. He maintains a true sympathy for those he hires. His job requires that workers are laid off regularly and he agonizes over their future, making sure that they are treated with respect and kindness, keeping in contact with them and hiring them again when possible. He worries about them and their families, sharing their tragedies and enjoying their successes. I don't think he has a jealous or envious bone in his body.

To me, he is the finest of companions, intelligent, thoughtful and fun. He tries to find happiness in every minute of our time together. We are simple folk and rely on the simple joys of life -- walking, boat rides, discussing books we've read, enjoying our animal companions and quietly socializing with friends. To him, that is enough, yet he willingly accepts and enjoys my desire to see the world and is an awesome travel companion.

He doesn't put up with nonsense but sees the world and people as they are, turning their frailties into a kind of humor which is infectious and entertaining. He adores our animal companions, as they adore him. He thinks that work is fun and is always busy with his many projects. He likes to work with his hands, he likes to build things, he likes to see his accomplishments and takes a rare pride in a job well done. We have been blessed with a lifestyle which few others have, yet he never sees that as a right, but as an amazing happenstance.

He refuses to use any pesticides or insecticides on our property and regrets every tree we have ever cut. He votes in every election and seriously studies all the candidates. He is well-read and will not leave home until he has read the NYTimes online, plus he takes the local paper to work every day and has talked the Christian Science Monitor into giving him a Friday-only subscription since he determined he only has time for that and doesn't like to waste anything. He actually watches C-Span to see what Congress is up to. He is attentive to our tenants and worries about their needs. Like Benjamin Franklin, he is early to bed and early to rise and yes, it has made him healthy, wealthy and wise. He enjoys finding truth in history and collects quotations for their wisdom and humor. He like to read aloud to me and often buys me books as well as other wonderful things.

He wishes he could live another life so that he could be a paleo-botanist. He studied literature in school, writes poetry and keeps a daily journal, yet he jokes that lists are the highest form of literature. He takes awesome photographs. He is an avowed and unashamed feminist who sees all people as deserving equal treatment. He was a wonderful son to his parents and honored them as well as my own. He believes that the only way to truly have something is to give it away. He is happy with his lot in life and considers himself to be the luckiest of men.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:35 am
<sniff>

I thought this was about the lovely Miss Rita, whose 80 wonderful years of life (so far) we'll be celebrating tomorrow. She is the sweetest of neighbourhood sweethearts. I wanna be Miss Rita when I grow up. Very Happy

<sniff>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
Ante up Soz, tells about your EG . . .

Hmmm.

Well, there's this guy I know; tall, good-lookin'. Blue eyes, an impressive jaw. He has this alpha male aura about him that people often react to strongly; love him, hate him. He moved into the housing co-op I lived in and proceeded to clean up the dump; he completely overhauled the phone system, painted, refinished floors. Got things organized, including organizing people. ("Can you do this? Thanks. And how about if you do that, OK? Great.") A certain kind of feminist found him extremely annoying. They knew me better than him, knew that I'm not one to be trifled with or lorded over, and would take me aside and say, "Are you sure you want to be with him? Is he good to you?"

And the thing is -- yes. People react to him strongly in part because he's so transparent. He respects people or he doesn't respect people, and the people he doesn't respect figure it out but quick. And he respects me hugely, and it shows in everything he does. He asks for my advice all the time, and is sincerely appreciative of my help. He tells me what a great mom I am often (though he usually prefaces it with, "I don't say this enough"), and often thanks me for being so patient with his crazy work schedule. He is much, much better than I am at saying "Sorry, I was wrong" first when we have a disagreement.

He is incredibly generous in many ways; he has pretty much single-handedly held his department together, being the mentor for many younger people in his field while the more senior people, who are supposed to being doing that, remain aloof. And he is an effective mentor -- he sets up talks, wrangles job interviews, as well as giving useful, practical advice. He has a very wide and very deep network of friends; we have standing invitations and offers of places to stay from people on every continent. (Including Antarctica -- for him, anyway.)

And he's smart. I have accepted for a while that it's not just my bias, he's seriously a big deal in his field. He is also a celebrated communicator -- while he is in high demand for conferences/ among his peers (hence his insane travel schedule -- three trips in the last two weeks), he has also done some talks for laypeople that have received raves. I think it is very likely that at some point he will become a crossover star, known not only in his field but by the general public. He will be starting as a professor in the fall, and I think that will be the start of it -- he is a natural performer/ entertainer, and I think having a regular audience, people he can get excited about what he does, is going to lead to something.

And that's not touching on his fathering. I've been in love with him for a while now, but it all went up a notch when I saw him with my daughter. I've written a lot about that here, but one story I recently came across (I try to archive them now and then) was one where the sozlet, maybe a year ago, took us outside after dark to look for rabbits. We didn't find any, so she decided that we had to BE rabbits. The image in my mind's eye of E.G. gamely hopping away, spotlit on our driveway, without a moment's hesitation, encapsulates a lot of what I love about his parenting -- and him.

Karmic footnote: While all the above is true, he can also be a doo-doo head.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:15 pm
My Sweetheart
He wakes up every morning with a smile on his face.

He works all day long, day after day after day, and maintains his cheery disposition. His smile is contagious.

He anticipates and meets all my needs. He amazes me. Sometimes I think he reads my mind!

Yesterday, he closed his store and took the day off. He has NEVER taken a day off in all the years I have known him. He came home and announced that he had been neglecting me, that he missed me, and that he wanted to spend the day with me.

WOW. We had a great day together. He took me shopping and we walked hand in hand through the mall--talking and laughing the entire time. He took me to a movie, he took me out to dinner--and we enjoyed every single minute together.

He has an incredible sense of humor. He makes me laugh.

He touches me all the time. He holds my hands. He caresses my face. He strokes my hair. He rubs my back.

He is incredibly sexy. I want him all the time--and he wants me too. (LUCKY ME.)

He is everything. He is happiness.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 07:54 pm
this was a most enjoyable thread to read...someone please post more sweetheart tales. i love 'em.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:00 pm
very sweet stuff.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:08 pm
a little something special for Mr. Dimples Embarrassed

Ooh, my little hungry one, hungry one
Open up a package of my bologna
Ooh, I think the toast is done, the toast is done
Top it with a little of my bologna

Never gonna stop, eat it up
Such a tasty snack I always eat too much, then throw up
But I'll soon be back for my, my, my, yi, yi, woo
M-m-m-my bologna

Spreadin' on the mustard now, show me how
Spread it on a litle of this bologna
Hopin' that we don't run out, don't run out
If we do I'm sure that I'll miss bologna

M-m-m-my bologna
M-m-m-my bologna

(belch)

Goin' to the market now, market now
I'm the city's biggest bologna buyer
Walkin' down the shopping isles, shopping isles
Filling up my basket with Oscar Meyer

M-m-m-m-m-m-m-my, my, my, yi, yi, woo
M-m-m-my bologna
M-m-m-my bologna
M-m-m-my bologna
M-m-m-my bologna

He knows I wouldn't do that for just anyone. :wink:
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:17 pm
yes littlek, mostly all sweet...but this latest one was savory. Wink ehBeth, are you setanta's sweetheart?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:19 pm
Bingo!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:36 pm
Beth, if you responded with anything besides bologna, the thread would have moved to saccharine.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:18 pm
My sweetheart is beautiful...the get up brush your teeth and put on a tshirt kind of beautiful. When she dresses and puts on makeup for a night out she is stunning. My sweetheart is ladylike but 100% un prudish. She has a tongue and a wit capable of ripping someone to shreds but prefers to keep it under control and look for the positive. My sweeheart is strong and assertive, but delightfully feminine. She is polite and soft spoken, but no doormat or person to be trifled with. She does not suffer fools gladly but is longsuffering and patient regardless.

She knows me better than I know myself and loves me anyway. Amazing.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:40 pm
You forgot to mention one thing bear. Squinney is a lucky girl.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:51 pm
My sweetheart is my husband. He transformed himself from a wooley catepillar into a beautiful butterfly whose purpose in life is to please me and make me happy. Am I worthy of his love and devotion? No. But God must have known that I would need an angel in my life so He sent David to me. He says that because of me he is the luckiest man in the world...that I taught him to see the beauty in the simple things and to appreciate life. He thinks that I taught him so much but the truth is, he has taught me far more than I could ever teach him. He is the love of my life.
0 Replies