Common Medicines 'Killing Thousands'

Col Man

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 04:32 am
Commonly prescribed medicines could be killing up to 10,000 people a year, researchers have warned.A study by the University of Liverpool suggests that adverse reactions to drugs accounts for more than 6% of hospital admissions.Researchers estimate these admissions cost the NHS ?466m a year.

They have called for urgent measures to reduce the burden on the health system and improve prescribing practices.

The researchers studied 18,820 patients, aged over 16, who were admitted to two NHS hospitals in Merseyside during a six-month period in 2001-02.

They found 1,225 admissions were related to adverse drugs reactions.

Most of the patients recovered, but 28 died because of the reaction - many from internal bleeding caused by aspirin.

Aspirin, which is often prescribed to patients to avoid heart disease, was most commonly implicated - accounting for 18% of the admissions.

Other drugs which caused a bad reaction included the anti-clotting drug warfarin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and diuretics.

The researchers estimated that adverse reactions causing hospital admission were responsible for the deaths of 5,700 patients a year in England.

Taking into account incidents occurring while patients were in hospital and admissions together, the figure could be greater than 10,000 a year.

They said that many incidents may be preventable through simple improvements in prescribing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 896 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:27 am
Yes - it's scary what used to turn up on ward rounds about what was being prescribed (when I used to work in a hospital) when the pharmacist was consulted....
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:28 am
Shocked
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:34 am
One of the problems is that some prople will go to a number of doctors, and each will prescribe, not knowing what the other doctors have prescribed.

One of the most wonderful tools for patients for understanding medication, is the internet. When anything is prescribed for me, I look it up, check out the side effects and the interactions, BEFORE I take the drug.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:36 am
wise words.... Smile
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
One of the most wonderful tools for patients for understanding medication, is the internet. When anything is prescribed for me, I look it up, check out the side effects and the interactions, BEFORE I take the drug.
I would hope this is standard practice for internet usersÂ… and now that you mention it; it probably wouldn't hurt to tell my old man to do so as well. Idea
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:10 pm
Poor communication between MD and patient accounts for many mistakes in prescribing and the appearance of side effects as a result.

Many patients never listen to the pharmacist about how to take their medications , thus again leading to many unpleasant side effects.
0 Replies