Ralph Nader. Why?

Fedral

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:16 am
au1929 wrote:
Nader Lets Loose With Anti-Israel Tirade
16:44 Jul 01, '04 / 12 Tammuz 5764

- running on behalf of the Reform Party. He is likely to be on the ballot in a handful of other states as well, although Kerry supporters are waging legal battles to prevent this.

That is NOT Democracy...

That is the attempt by one candidate to deny voters a choice in hopes that they will cast their votes for him.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:18 am
Orlando Florida - and you talk about denial of voters and Democracy - ROFLMAO
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:24 am
BillW wrote:
Orlando Florida - and you talk about denial of voters and Democracy - ROFLMAO

We didn't have any problem with OUR ballots BillW.

The ballots we use were not of the 'butterfly' type with chads, etc.

Please try and keep it straight as to exactly who and where the 'problem ballots' were. (By the way, the 'butterfly' ballots were used in several elections in years previous to the Presidential election of 2000 with no difficulties or complaints. It was only after the 2000 election that the 'ambiguity' of the ballot was called into question. The funny part is that the ballot was designed by the Democratic Party of those districts.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:25 am
Fedral
As a republican and with the memory of the last election in mind. Can you make that statement without being embarrassed?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:34 am
au1929 wrote:
Fedral
As a republican and with the memory of the last election in mind. Can you make that statement without being embarrassed?

In what way am I supposed to be embarrassed au1929?

Embarrassed because I would have been smart enough to ask for help voting if I had a question about the ballot? (As is printed on the ballot and all around the voting area)

Embarrassed because my party won?

I suppose that the one thing I am embarrassed about is that Al Gore had destroyed the uninterrupted record this country once held for longest, peaceful and civil transfer of power after elections.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:38 am
au, we're going over his head. My real commit exists in the here and now. They are already doing it again. PS - they don't have the capacity to be embarassed, it's a felony in action.....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:42 am
Fedral
Have you forgotten about all of the supposed felons who were removed from the list of eligible voters. They were predominantly black and would, no doubt, have voted for Gore. I guess in your flavor of democracy that is quite allowable.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:48 am
Thousands of Eligible Voters on Florida Purge List - This is now, not history.

Quote:
Thousands of eligible Florida voters are named on a list of suspected felons the state plans to remove from voter registration rolls ahead of November's presidential election. A Florida judge ordered the state to release the list after news organizations sued for access to check its accuracy. Hear NPR's Steve Inskeep and Miami Herald reporter Erika Bolstad.

NPR Morning Edition - Just this morning:

http://www.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=3&prgDate=current

Jeb is trying to lock in the win again Surprised
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:51 am
By upholding federal law? How do you figure?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:00 am
You wouldn't understand....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:01 am
McGentrix
What federal law is it that calls for the removal of eligible voters from voting lists?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:10 am
au1929 wrote:
Fedral
Have you forgotten about all of the supposed felons who were removed from the list of eligible voters. They were predominantly black and would, no doubt, have voted for Gore. I guess in your flavor of democracy that is quite allowable.

How about for every supposed felon (Many of whom WERE felons and thus ineligible to vote) that was denied a vote, there were hundreds of thousands of overseas military ballots that remained uncounted in Democrat dominated precincts because they had long ago decided not to count those labour intensive votes unless the result was 'close'.

Or how about the thousands of military overseas ballots that were rejected because they didn't carry an appropriate 'dated postmark' even though many overseas post offices don't USE dated postmarks. I guess the fear of all those military votes cluttering up their view of how the results should come out was too much for them to bring themselves to count 'EVERY VOTE'.(The majority of which are cast for Republican candidates)

hypocrisy cuts both ways.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 11:09 am
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
I like him too! I think we had some good choices this time around.
Why didn't Nader run as a democrat and then change things from the inside out?

Because his ego is not compatible with a real campaign.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 12:58 pm
Quote:
Nader supporters give up Arizona ballot
Democrats had moved to get signatures ruled invalid

Hold on here. What is he saying?

It turns out that almost half of the signatures they collected was bogus (they submitted some 22,000 but only some 14,000 were valid) - and then they snipe that those who uncovered that have no "sense of fair play"?

<shakes head>
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:07 pm
au1929 wrote:
McGentrix
What federal law is it that calls for the removal of eligible voters from voting lists?

My apologies, I meant state law.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 02:56 pm
McG
What state law requires eligible voters to be removed from voting lists?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:07 pm
I guess the point was that them being felons would no longer make them eligible according to state law. (I dunno myself, but that seems to be the point.)

Question is - even if that is so, removing suspected felons from the voter registration rolls is then again a wholly different ballgame, no?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:50 pm
nimh
The point was that many thousands on the list were not felons and did not deserve to be on thelist. Remember Jed is a member of the clan.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:26 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Here we go again.

Ralph Nader is running because he is right.

Kerry does not represent progressive voters. Kerry's unimaginative spineless pandering on the Israel-Palestine conflict is just one example of the reason that I personally need Nader to run.

Nobody seems to think that Kerry is a good candidate. Kerry is the nominee because the Democrats think they can ignore their progressive base.

If progressive voters continue with blind allegiance to a listless party that doesn't stand for anything, we can expect more Gore's, and Kerry's indefinately.

I say screw 'em! Give me a good candidate who represents me and I will vote for him. If the Democrats would stop whining, it would be a good start.

This liberal progressive voter is not voting for Kerry. Kerry frankly doesn't merit my vote, or the vote of any self-respecting thinking adult.

Don't blame Nader for that.

By all means, vote for the Greens!
0 Replies

gwenmand

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:34 pm
I think we have a serious crisis in democracy when Americans can't even vote for the candidate of their choice. It's hard enough for independents to get on the ballot. The Dems attempts to keep Nader's voice out should be an outrage to anyone concerned about our future.

gwen
EDIT:MODERATOR:LINK REMOVED
0 Replies