Ralph Nader. Why?

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:11 am
Nader in his desperation to get on the ballot in November has allied himself with groups that not only do not share his view but in many instances have views that are diametrically opposed to his. They on the other hand are supporting him in the hope that a vote for Nader is a vote for Bush. It makes one wonder why in the face of that Mr. Nader continues his attempt to get on the ballot. Is it ego, envy or just plain stubbornness? What could he hope to accomplish? Aside from the defeat of the democratic nominee

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/01/politics/campaign/01NADE.html?th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,663 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:42 am
That's democracy au1929.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:48 am
Rick
In my purview it is also beyond good sense.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:49 am
Could be.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:09 pm
Nader Lets Loose With Anti-Israel Tirade
16:44 Jul 01, '04 / 12 Tammuz 5764

Independent U.S. presidential candidate and environmental crusader Ralph Nader is seeking the support of various groups - and one of them appears to be the Muslim-American population. As broadcast on the American cable network C-Span this week, Nader launched a scathing attack on Israel, saying that Israel is a puppeteer and that American Presidents are the puppets:

"What has been happening over the years is a predictable routine of foreign visitation from the head of the Israeli government. The Israeli puppeteer travels to Washington. The Israeli puppeteer meets with the puppet in the White House, and then moves down Pennsylvania Avenue, and meets with the puppets in Congress. And then takes back billions of taxpayer dollars. It is time for the Washington puppet show to be replaced by the Washington peace show."

Nader made this speech as part of a conference sponsored by the Council for the National Interest entitled, "The Muslim Vote in Election 2004." The Council on American-Islamic Relations announced at the conference the results of a survey of Moslem voters, showing that 26% favored Nader - more than five times the amount of support he has received in other nationwide and statewide polls.

Nader's presence on the ballot in the upcoming election is expected to harm the candidacy of John Kerry, the all-but-assured Democratic Party candidate. So far, Nader is on the ballot in six states - including, most notably, the swing state of Florida - running on behalf of the Reform Party. He is likely to be on the ballot in a handful of other states as well, although Kerry supporters are waging legal battles to prevent this. Nader's strong support in the Muslim community may be a factor in both his personal efforts to be listed on state ballots and in the national election itself.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:13 pm
Actually I agree with nader is in this instance. But I am still not going to vote for him for the obvious reason.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:21 pm
I sense and have sensed that Nader is allying himself in some ways. A coalition put together can be stronger that either of the two (3, 4, 5, etc) alone. Maybe hoping to get something out of it that he wouldn't get otherwise. He and Kerry had what was presumed to be a cordial meeting about a month or so ago with nothing announced. If Nader builds support and then later on pushes it to Kerry, well, Dean has already proven this model earlier this spring.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:26 pm
Quote:
If Nader builds support and then later on pushes it to Kerry, well, Dean has already proven this model earlier this spring.

That I believe has about as much chance of happening as a snowball in hell.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:29 pm
Actually, without the Green party endorsement, his chances of building a large base is diminished greatly. I have read some reports that the Greens did this not to "punish" Nader; but, to support Kerry Surprised

Of course, as with all opinions - they are as good as the next horse race Wink
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:38 pm
Here we go again.

Ralph Nader is running because he is right.

Kerry does not represent progressive voters. Kerry's unimaginative spineless pandering on the Israel-Palestine conflict is just one example of the reason that I personally need Nader to run.

Nobody seems to think that Kerry is a good candidate. Kerry is the nominee because the Democrats think they can ignore their progressive base.

If progressive voters continue with blind allegiance to a listless party that doesn't stand for anything, we can expect more Gore's, and Kerry's indefinately.

I say screw 'em! Give me a good candidate who represents me and I will vote for him. If the Democrats would stop whining, it would be a good start.

This liberal progressive voter is not voting for Kerry. Kerry frankly doesn't merit my vote, or the vote of any self-respecting thinking adult.

Don't blame Nader for that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:47 pm
ebrown
clap clap clap
clap clap clapclap clap clapclap clclap clap clapap clapclap clap clapclap clap clapclap claclap clap clapp clapclap clap clapclap clap clapclapclap clap clap clap clapclap clap clap
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 05:43 pm
BillW wrote:
I have read some reports that the Greens did this not to "punish" Nader; but, to support Kerry Surprised

Not even to support Kerry so much as defeat Bush, I think.

Nader probably would have made a decent president, but he obviously doesn't stand a chance. Maybe in another 4 years.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 05:53 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
This liberal progressive voter is not voting for Kerry. Kerry frankly doesn't merit my vote, or the vote of any self-respecting thinking adult.

Ebrown, are you still going to vote for Nader or are you voting for Cobb?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 05:55 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Kerry frankly doesn't merit my vote, or the vote of any self-respecting thinking adult.

Gotcha, I'll use your thinking then. Rolling Eyes

You take Nader support to an unreasonable level.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:03 pm
nimh wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Ebrown, are you still going to vote for Nader or are you voting for Cobb?

I am pretty sure I will be voting for Nader.

Not only do I agree with him on most issues, he also sends the loudest message to the Dems that they will need to support at least some of our positions and show a little courage to get our votes.

After all, Bush shows respect to his right wing...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:07 pm
Kucinich
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:12 pm
Dys,

Somehow I feel like we have had this conversation before...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:22 pm
Laughing yeah I know
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:25 am
I like him too! I think we had some good choices this time around.
Why didn't Nader run as a democrat and then change things from the inside out?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:51 am
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
BillW wrote:
I have read some reports that the Greens did this not to "punish" Nader; but, to support Kerry Surprised

Not even to support Kerry so much as defeat Bush, I think.

Nader probably would have made a decent president, but he obviously doesn't stand a chance. Maybe in another 4 years.

AnyBody But Bush -
0 Replies