Change karma?

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 04:36 am
Many spiritual teachers say we can change karma, a friend suggests me to find a shaman to clean my aura and change my karma, too.
I also always believed the free will can change our karma.
So i tried very hard on my will, and my life did get better, but after years and years i feel the wheel of my life still on this designed map--karma, I now start to realize why many eastern people say Karma=destiny.

My father was a horrible man, he abused mother in different ways and made her physically mentally ill, but now my father changed to another person in his old years, something just happened to him , a big surprise ....he becomes like a baby character , naive and peaceful. my mother however becomes easy to angry and always in bitterness.
The family members say my father must have done good things in past lives he has a good karma. ,my mother however not a good karma.
but my mother always tries her best , and she is loving by nature and always tries to help the poor.

So, I m wondering if karma is destiny, we need to obey it and then we will be better in after life?
If karma isn't destiny and we can change it, how ? and how much percent can be changed?

Thanks a lot!
Have a good day on our journey.Smile

jespah

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 05:35 am
@sleepingowl,
Or maybe your parents are both in the throes of early Alzheimer's or dementia, both of which can change your personality. Or they feel bad. Or whatever.

Keep believing fate will just do things to you, and that you have no real control over things, and the world will run you over like a steamroller flattens ants.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 05:38 am
Your parents have exchanged roles as they aged. This is not unusual. The mean abuser now becomes in need of care. The person who sacrificed and put up with the abuser is now angry that she has to take care of the very one who made her life miserable all these years.

You mother is left with good health and energy. She should see this as a gift and find happiness in her late years. THIS is her karma - to finally set herself free and have a peaceful life. She has served others long enough.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 05:59 am
@sleepingowl,
In Buddhism, karma (kamma) isn't destiny, it's volition. You reap as you sew. Not saying that it's exactly true, just that it's a pretty good rule of thumb. Anyway, I'm just saying that if you're thinking of Buddhism, you shouldn't be thinking that karma is destiny. That's Hinduism. The Buddha overturned that and made it mean exactly the opposite.

Anyway, you'd probably be better off focusing on psychology, rather than spiritualism, regarding this sort of thing. Some people eventually see the error of their ways, others build up resentment, only to let it manifest when they're sure they're in a safe environment. I suspect your father may be one of the former and your mother one of the latter. No need for anything transcendental to explain that, I think.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 08:40 am
@sleepingowl,
Occasionally, I see my kar-mechanic.. He has overall charm. I'll ask him.
0 Replies