Karma test: what do you do when you find a fat wallet?

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 02:23 pm
I took Smoky to wally's the other day, and I did some grocery browsing while he waited for his prescription to be filled. while I was moving down the nearly empty dairy aisle, I spied what looked like a child's pocket book lying on the ground in front of the yogurt case.

I picked it up and put it in my basket, as there was no one within 30 feet of me, and certainly no one appearing to search for a lost item.

I kept shopping with the intent of turning it over to my cashier. then I saw green poking out of it. and opened it just enough to see that it was not a child's wallet, but a small adult model. with credit cards and a decent showing of cash.

I closed it back up, and decided I needed to take it to customer service, where I had a better expectation that it would get back to it's rightful owner.

I turned it over to the gal behind the counter, and walked away. not wanting any part of an official anything...

there are cameras all over that area, and a drivers license inside the wallet , so the odds are that they will contact the owner, and return it for me. intact.

Merry Christmas somebody...

roger

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 02:25 pm
@Rockhead,
I guess if I found a wallet with a million dollars in it, I would turn it in too, at least if it belonged to some poor sucker like myself.

Laughing
Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 02:28 pm
@roger,
to be honest, roger, I didn't want to know how much was in there...

it was at wally's, I doubt it belonged to a captain of industry.

(if I find Bill Koch's wallet, I damn well keep it)
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 02:39 pm
@Rockhead,
When my dropped-in-the-parking-lot wallet was turned in at Home Depot, I hoped that the finder would have left some info that would allow me to at least offer a small reward. But ... no name, no number.

thanks to the universe

~~~

on the not expecting a reward side, when Set found a wallet, and I tracked the owner down through FB, and drove it to her, we didn't expect or want anything

hard call - offer /accept?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:00 pm
Certainly turn it in. I found a wallet stuffed with cards and money at a pay phone, outside a store (in the 20TH Century). I took the man's name off the driver license and looked him up in the phone book. He was a poor wage slave, just like me, so when he came to claim it, I did not expect or want a reward.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:06 pm
Mr B was running around the house looking for his wallet but he couldn't find it anywhere. He looked in the car, his gym bag, all the usual places, all the unusual places... EVERYWHERE! He said he'd last used it the day before at the Mobil station to gas up the car but he hadn't gone inside to pay; he used his credit card at the pump. He was just about to drive over to the gas station to see if it was there when the doorbell range. Someone saw it sitting in the road at the (very busy) intersection near the gas station and picked it up. She used the driver's license to find the address and brought it to him the next day. He still has no idea how it got into the middle of the intersection.

Thank you Very Nice Lady!!!
Ceili

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:04 pm
@JPB,
He put it on the roof and then drove away with it on top. That's my guess.
I recently found a $100 bill. It was the first real day of winter and really windy. The bill was folded in half and then in half again. I nearly didn't pick it up. It was a faded brown colour as they all are, nothing remarkable, until the silver security band caught my eye. My son was helping me walk the dogs. I gave it to him as he wants to buy a new Russian winter coat.
I`ve found several wallets, most of them empty... When I was a kid, I though the reward was an especially nice touch. As an adult, not so much. I know the pain of losing and replacing one and I`d rather someone else could forgo that particular memory.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:10 pm
@JPB,
I have a Chicago story that turns out less happy...

I fueled my truck up just around the corner from the shop, and headed for points west. realized that I was without my primary fuel credit card about Des moines.

called in to the office, and told them it was missing. In the 4 or 5 hour window, some enterprising individual had bought several thousand dollars of stuff. Best buy, Home Depot. big stuff...

my boss was not verra happy. but we didn't have to pay for it.
spendius

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:15 pm
@Rockhead,
When I was in short pants 4 of us were running towards the railway station entrance when I spotted a pound note on the pavement. We dived in a cafe across the road and had a good tuck in and then caught the next train.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:20 pm

If the wallet had id. in it: I 'd return it.
If the wallet had NO id. in it: I 'd keep it.

I 'm confident that police or anyone else
to whom I might entrust it woud personally adopt the cash.

David
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Officers of the court, you can always count on them.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:30 pm
@ehBeth,
this is part of why dave has lots of guns, and I struggle to buy food.

but I sleep in my own skin without much trouble...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:30 pm

Some years ago, I was in Las Vegas, approaching Caesar's Palace.

I saw a clump of cash on the floor.

I saw a girl walking up ahead, whom I suspected of having dropped it.
She recognized it n thanked me for its return.

For fun, I deceptively replicated that experience (somewhat).
I took some of my own cash and approached pedestrian girls,
falsely representing to them that thay had dropped it, and begifting them with it.

It was fun.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:37 pm
@Rockhead,
Good boy.

I found a wad of various dollars bills in the hallway at the office - just laying on the floor. It could have been hundreds of dollars, it could have been $20 - hard to tell as it was quite a wad and from what I could see different denominations.

I brought it to our admin and she said - don't send an email - everyone will claim it, best to give to security and have some one ask for it. So went ahead and did it. No one ever claimed it. I told them to donate it to charity as I felt terrible at the thought of gaining from some one else's loss.
Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:38 pm
@Rockhead,
Exact same way I felt - I didn't want to know - I'd have felt really bad if some one lost alot.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:46 pm
@Linkat,
what do I look like, a blue heeler?

I have a history of losing hundred dollar bills. an excruciating history...

I don't much trust "security", but I have no desire to be somebody's feel good story in the newspaper, either...

the other lady in customer service was coming over to see what it was about as I stepped away and left.

I'm sure it turned out ok...
Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:47 pm
@Rockhead,
Maybe some where else I wouldn't trust security - but at my work, they are a good bunch and almost to extreme on their security policies. Need to be I guess in my industry.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:48 pm
@ehBeth,

ehBeth wrote:
Officers of the court, you can always count on them.
I was not an officer of any court in Las Vegas,
but u reminded me:
After I 'd retired, and my security pass card had expired,
I had personal business in the NY Supreme Court,
so I had to go thru the metal detector, like anyone else, like at the airport.

I put my stuff into a basket. On retrieval thereof, I saw some cash there in it.
I was perplexed qua whether it was MY property (possible) or not.
I decided, upon reflection n consideration, that it was not.
I tracked down a lady who had been near me in the security check line and gave it to her.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:50 pm
@Rockhead,
No you might look like this cutie though...

http://blogs.forbes.com/work-in-progress/files/2010/08/0113_dog-wallet-card_240x180.jpg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:57 pm
A bit over a year ago I left my BB and my wallet on the roof of the car and drove off. About 5 minutes later I realized my mistake and doubled back. The BB I found and while smashed still worked a bit, the wallet was no where to be found, and I never was contacted even though I reported it to the police. I lost only $90 cash, but the DL and the credit cards were a major hassle to get replaced, I was thinking that if I got it back minus the cash I would be thankful.