Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:08 pm
1. Five of the top 15 selling cookies are Girl Scout Cookies!
2. Because of the rotation of the earth, an object can be thrown farther if it is thrown west.
3. Most elephants weigh less than the tongue of the blue whale.
4. In 1976 a Los Angeles secretary named Jannene Swift officially married a 50-pound rock. The ceremony was witnessed by more than 20 people.
5. At any given time, there are 1,800 thunderstorms in progress over the earth's atmosphere.
6. During a severe windstorm or rainstorm the Empire State Building may sway several feet to either side.
7. It is estimated that millions of trees in the world are accidentally planted by squirrels who bury nuts and then forget where they hid them!
8. If you put a raisin in a glass of champagne, it will keep floating to the top and sinking to the bottom.
9. During the time of Peter the Great, any Russian man who wore a beard was required to pay a special tax.
10. American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first-class.
11. Months that begins with a Sunday will always have a "Friday the 13th."
12. Pollsters say that 40 percent of dog and cat owners carry pictures of the pets in their wallets.
13. The first baseball game to be televised was not in the United States. It was in Tokyo, Japan.
14. A poll taken shows that between 74 and 94 percent of workers in the United States and Canada take 5 to 15 minutes daily for a morning coffee break. The coffee break in the workplace did not become common until the early 1940s.
Now you've got me wondering if I know any funny facts to share. I'll ponder and let you know. Thanks.
WH: Put your thinking cap on, I'm sure you have a ton of funny facts:)
Regarding the woman that married the 50-pound rock:
--How did the rock say "I do"? Or were they married by 'epoxy'?
--Did the woman expect the proposal, or did he 'drop' it on her unexpectedly?
--Where did they go on their honeymoon? The Hard Rock Cafe?
--Are they planning on having chil- er, pebbles?
Was he metamorphic (that is, lots of uplift) or sedimentary (just lies there)?
I wonder if she can bring some joy in the rock's life, but I doubt it... He'll probably remain cold and unyielding
He's a hard guy to live with.
ALL rock-et scientists are hard to live with:)
That woman must have been stoned when she married the rock!
I hope they have lots of sedimental memories of the wedding.
Wonder what deal he gets for life insurance...
Also I hope for her her hubby's family doesn't come over too often, coz they're probably dull company. Easy to serve though!