Please teachers, I would like my sentence checked if it sounds ok?

imsak

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 07:31 am
He knew in the first place that it went wrong but has somehow decided to let the problem rest at that until it just came to light today.

Is this sentence easy to be understood and grammatical?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,103 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 07:36 am
@imsak,
It sucks.

Very difficult to understand what you are trying to say.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 07:53 am
@imsak,
Pardon my bluntness but the sentence is poorly written, unnecessarily wordy and wanders around.

I'd suggest, among several alternatives, the following sentence:

"He knew that things have gone wrong but has decided to let matters rest. Understanding of what happened has come about today."
imsak

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 08:34 am
Thank you very much. Reading your advices, I now aware the sentence is that suck. I will try to put it simply next time when making any sentence.

But couldn't 'the problem' be put between let and rest? Is there any limitation which word can, which word cannot?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 08:42 am
@imsak,
Sorry, Imsak...when I read your initial comments, I thought you were an English speaker. It now seems English is a second language...so my comment "It sucks" is inappropriate. I apologize.

Your sentence is so complicated...I honestly have no idea of what you are trying to communicate.

Why not break down what you are trying to say into small components...without worrying about sentence structure...just so we know for sure what your point is. Then, maybe we can help you construct a better sentence...or group of sentences to communicate it.
imsak

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 09:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
You are alright.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 09:28 am
@Ragman,
He knew that things had gone wrong but decided to let matters rest. Until today.
(English is my second language as well - constitutionally).

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 09:36 am
@lmur,
Be aware that word phrase 'until today' is a sentence fragment. As such, it is not proper grammar.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 10:54 am
@imsak,
He knew immediately that it had gone wrong but somehow decided to let the problem rest at that, until it returned to light just today
neologist

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 03:07 pm
@dalehileman,
A few words could be left out. How does this sound?
Quote:
He knew immediately that it had gone wrong but decided to let the problem rest until it returned to light today
imsak

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 04:48 pm
Thank you again.

Can I use 'let sth stand/let sth sit' instead of 'let sth rest' to mean the same?

For example: You have known that all along, but why have you let the problem sit/stand like that for so long without telling anyone?

Is this sentence ok?

neologist

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 05:04 pm
@imsak,
You have 2 sentences now; since the thoughts seem connected, it would be OK to use a semicolon instead of a period. A comma is generally considered bad form

Sit or stand would be OK grammatically. I could see using either one, depending on nuances.

I suggest a copy of Elements of Style by Strunk and White, an inexpensive guide to excellence.
imsak

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 07:02 pm
@neologist,
Thank you.

Does anyone know some websites teaching about the use of colon, semicolon and comma? If so, could you please give me a few link? I want to learn more about it.

And could you please check one more of my sentence?

- Getting an eyeful of this, please let it rest that there is no such thing as an alien from other planet coming to our earth.

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 08:01 pm
@imsak,
it's a bit awkward and vague.

This is how I'd write it:
Get an eyeful of this: please let it rest that there is no such thing as an alien from another planet coming to our earth.

however, what is vague is what you are telling the person ... to give what a rest? Give a rest to saying that there is no such thing or to stop saying that there is no such thing?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 09:17 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
A few words could be left out. How does this sound?
Quote:
He knew immediately that it had gone wrong but decided to let the problem rest until it returned to light today
Yea Neo but I hafta admit "returned to light" is somewhat noncollo

Help somebody

So far I like Imur best
neologist

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 09:27 pm
@dalehileman,
Ha!
That's what I get for not paying attention. "came to light" makes more sense.
0 Replies

imsak

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 10:18 pm
@Ragman,
What I actually want to tell the person is; now that you have already witnessed an alien per se, I somehow would like you not to tell anybody else of the fact that there really exists an alien at all, and want you to keep this as a secret. In other words, please let what you have just seen rest in secret.

As such, does the sentence, in a way, can answer my intentions?

Thank you.

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 04:20 am
@imsak,
Then what I'd say is:
please stop saying that there is no such thing as an alien from another planet coming to our earth.
0 Replies