Partial hysterectomy or cope with pain?

Thu 21 May, 2015 07:12 pm
Hi there,

I went to by obgyn yesterday for my usual physical and also to ask him what he thought about my fibroid issue. About 18 months ago I had the ultrasound done to see why I was having so much pain when on my period and it was because of a 3cm fibroid (I also have a small cyst on one ovary). It is a posterior fibroid (mucosal). I don't have as much pain now but it is affecting my bowel movements terribly.

Every time I have my period and a few days leading up to it it is extremely painful to go for a #2. It's hard to go and because of it I sometimes get constipation. I am going in for another ultrasound on 6/9/15 to see if the fibroid has grown but my obgyn says he didn't feel it had from the exam.

He said the only way to relieve the pain is to have a partial hysterectomy. There's no need to take the ovaries or cervix which is good and would mean one night in hospital and to convalesce for 2-3 weeks.

My stepbrother is a doctor in Texas who said it's worth doing and would mean just 2-3 days to convalesce. He said a myomectomy wouldn't be worth it as more fibroids would grow back (obgyn didn't mention this).

What do you recommend? I can't have the procedure done till towards the end of the year as I have had to take too much time off work recently to care for my sick mother.

I just feel like I can't take much more having an issue going to the toilet every month. As well as when I wipe myself sometimes there's blood (I think it's a haemorrhoid) no blood in stool!!

I am finished having children so that isn't a factor.

Thanks for your opinions.

Read more: Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 844 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Thu 21 May, 2015 07:18 pm
@Whistlestop01,
I only have second hand opinions from two information from two women. They both felt much better for having had it done. Now, for all I know, the ones who were unhappy after the procedure just don't talk about it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Fri 22 May, 2015 05:55 am
When was your last colonoscopy?
Whistlestop01

Fri 22 May, 2015 08:00 am
@PUNKEY,
I have never had a colonoscopy. I'm 42 years old and they always say from 50 so haven't had it done yet.
0 Replies

firefly

Sat 23 May, 2015 01:23 pm
@Whistlestop01,
As long as the cervix and ovaries will remain, hormone production will continue normally, and sexual stimulation should remain normal, and the immediate and long-term effects of just removing the uterus should be rather minimal.

Will anything be done about the cyst you have on one ovary?

If having that type of partial hysterectomy, removal of the uterus, will alleviate your pain, and will eliminate your problems with constipation and painful bowel movements, what is your concern about having it done? Why do you need our recommendations?

My only suggestion to you would be to consult a gastroenterologist to see if they could offer any way of possibly reducing your bowel movement pain and discomfort until you can have the partial hysterectomy done. Also, I would solicit their opinion as to whether the surgical procedure would definitely correct the problems you are having, and their opinion of why you sometimes see blood when you wipe yourself and what, if anything, could be done about that now.
0 Replies